The Student Room Group

Chemistry C1 EDEXCEL, thoughts??

How did you find the paper? I liked it , but I know a lot of people struggled for the cracking 6 marker. Any ideas about what the grade boundaries will be like?

Scroll to see replies

Easier than i thought, didn't like last 6 marker though
Reply 2
I thought it was a really good paper. I think grade boundaries will be relatively high, probably low 50's.
Reply 3
Original post by Noshin21a
How did you find the paper? I liked it , but I know a lot of people struggled for the cracking 6 marker. Any ideas about what the grade boundaries will be like?

Did you draw out the paraffin experiment as shown in the revision guide. eg. mineral wool and porcelain chips? and then go on to explain and talk about cracking into shorter molecules such as petrol and how alkenes can be used to form plastics?
Reply 4
I thought it was a good paper but in the last 6 marker I forgot to say the liquid paraffin was on mineral wool... Will I lose a mark for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by elmxxxx
Did you draw out the paraffin experiment as shown in the revision guide. eg. mineral wool and porcelain chips? and then go on to explain and talk about cracking into shorter molecules such as petrol and how alkenes can be used to form plastics?

I didn't talk about mineral wool! So annoyed hahaha. I also didn't talk about alkenes being used to make plastics but just used the table and showed proof of what I was saying is correct. Hopefully that was enough for 6 marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've checked the grade boundaries for C1 edexcel gcse and noticed the 'easiest' one apparently was last years paper as you needed 54/60 for an A*.

I did the paper just by vocally saying the answers and it was much easier than todays one. I know it depends on how people do nationally but do you think the grade boundaries could be like 50?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I found the test for the most part easy apart from the 6 marker. But I also messed up on the questions about PTFE because I didn't bother learning about it as I thought it wouldn't come up. I hope the grade boundaries are much lower than last years because last years paper compared to this one was childs play.
Reply 8
Original post by DamnDaniel2
I've checked the grade boundaries for C1 edexcel gcse and noticed the 'easiest' one apparently was last years paper as you needed 54/60 for an A*.

I did the paper just by vocally saying the answers and it was much easier than todays one. I know it depends on how people do nationally but do you think the grade boundaries could be like 50?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I reckon we'll have an A* at 50 or 51. They never really drop below 50 and i think the paper while being quite simple, had the potential to drop easy marks along the way which will probably hamper people quite unwittingly
Original post by Flyer24
I reckon we'll have an A* at 50 or 51. They never really drop below 50 and i think the paper while being quite simple, had the potential to drop easy marks along the way which will probably hamper people quite unwittingly

Yh I hope it's like 49 (unlikely because paper was pretty easy) because then I know I have a solid A* haha. How do you think you did? I think I got at least 55/60!

Also when do the official grade boundaries come out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I found it a remarkably average paper in all respects, but 2 part 6mark answers are hard to gain QWC mark on, so boundaries may be lower than last year.
Original post by kolento
I found it a remarkably average paper in all respects, but 2 part 6mark answers are hard to gain QWC mark on, so boundaries may be lower than last year.

Yh I understand where you are coming from haha. This years biology paper and chemistry paper have been oddly specific. Is it just me thinking that?

Best to focus on the upcoming exams. Not excited about next week! English lit on Monday, P1 on Wednesday, Maths on Thursday and English lit again on Friday!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
The last question was a blessing but there was no space provided to draw come on Edexcel you say use diagrams to help you but you can provide a decent amount of space.
I had to squeeze the diagram in!!
Reply 13
Guys what do you think is going to come up in literature on monday?
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Yh I hope it's like 49 (unlikely because paper was pretty easy) because then I know I have a solid A* haha. How do you think you did? I think I got at least 55/60!

Also when do the official grade boundaries come out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Official grade boundaries are produced a day before results so the 23rd of August i think. Overall I was happy with the paper. My last six marker was pretty rubbish as i had not looked at the liquid paraffin diagram in the textbook. I think i'll pull about 55/60 as the rest went quite well.
Original post by BV235
Guys what do you think is going to come up in literature on monday?

What texts are the exams for on monday?
Reply 16
I found the exam fairly straightforward but the last six marker was a little tricky.I noticed there were a lot of questions from past papers.
Everyone is talking about the GCSE exams but no one is talking about the iGCSE ones :frown:
I would think grade boundaries for an A=48, A*=54
I loved both six markers

Quick Reply

Latest