The Student Room Group

X factor and UCAS

Lol guys, I know this may seem like a stupid question but I'm curious. This is all hypothetically speaking. So say I applied for x factor next year during my gap year- got through and competed throughout the year then things went well to the point where I even reached the finals lol
Would this be worth stating in UCAS applications? I was told anything extra curricular- whether or not it relates to your subject shows you have diversity. Not sure if this is true.
But yea, why I'd like to take this gap year is to work with record labels, write songs, make music and work on projects if possible so I could somehow break into the music industry. Then maybe audition to x factor. I'm applying for business management or politics and international relations so I hope it doesn't look like I've wasted a year doing random stuff, not gaining work experience for business management or doing anything related to politics.
Yes you can but good luck to getting into the finals (sorry if I sounded rude with this). Also you would more be getting into the finals of the X Factor before recording labels and getting into the industry rather than the opposite way around.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Cherry82
Lol guys, I know this may seem like a stupid question but I'm curious. This is all hypothetically speaking. So say I applied for x factor next year during my gap year- got through and competed throughout the year then things went well to the point where I even reached the finals lol
Would this be worth stating in UCAS applications? I was told anything extra curricular- whether or not it relates to your subject shows you have diversity. Not sure if this is true.
But yea, why I'd like to take this gap year is to work with record labels, write songs, make music and work on projects if possible so I could somehow break into the music industry. Then maybe audition to x factor. I'm applying for business management or politics and international relations so I hope it doesn't look like I've wasted a year doing random stuff, not gaining work experience for business management or doing anything related to politics.

It's not something to write loads about. A sentence or two at most if you really must menton it. Unis don't care too much about extra curricular activities and it isn't relevant to the subject
Reply 3
Original post by Cherry82

You would be better finding a job in a record label or something similar if that's what you want to do. I wouldn't audition for the x factor (unless you are really good) as it can push you into the limelight and you probably would end up not having a chance going to uni.
Reply 4
Original post by lmg1
You would be better finding a job in a record label or something similar if that's what you want to do. I wouldn't audition for the x factor (unless you are really good) as it can push you into the limelight and you probably would end up not having a chance going to uni.

Thanks for your advice. The bit in bold, how come? Would things be different?
I actually never realised how hard it is to get a job in a record label. I'd like to be an artist so working in the label may not really do me any favours- I don't know. I was told I need work experience and my school gave us a week and a half for work experience in which I tried having work experience with indie labels not major ones like Sony's RCA label. Literally each label turned me down because they wanted people who could dedicate a whole year doing interships not a week and a half. Another told me to try again during my gap year which I will do but during my gap year I'd like actual work. Having a gap year is not cheap unless your staying at home each day. I still need to save up for travelling.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Vikingninja
Yes you can but good luck to getting into the finals (sorry if I sounded rude with this). Also you would more be getting into the finals of the X Factor before recording labels and getting into the industry rather than the opposite way around.

Haha, that wasn't rude at all. I was only hypothetically speaking, for all I know I may not audition at all next year but instead work on other projects. Thanks for replying. Hmm, this may sound pessimistic but my motives for auditioning wouldn't be to win and get signed with Simon's Syco label. Instead it's for publicity to get myself out there as an artist with hopes that internationally I could be known so if anyone is looking for singers/musicians for so and so reasons i.e to work on a project- my name would be out there. I'd rather be an independent artist or work with a label that's independent.

Quick Reply

Latest