The Student Room Group

Higher History 2016/17

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ///curious
How do you do analysis plus and evaluation? It's so confusing, I don't understand exactly what it has to have. Trying to write a civil war essay for russia at the moment.

don't do russia but this is the standard formula:

for A+
normal analysis (this is important because)
HOWEVER - this is where you get your A+, by basically saying it's not as important as it might seem because of .... Either that or say historians don't think this anymore because .....

for Evaluation
I summarise my key points in slightly different words, then compare to the factor I know I'll be saying is the most important in my conclusion. If it's an essay without factors (i.e. overall evaluation), say 'Just as with ....' and then discuss failings/successes.

I know some topics are harder to get the marks for E for so hopefully that works for your essay questions - it does for the ones we've done (britain and US/Cold War) but might not for all sections
Reply 41
Original post by CitrusConfusion
Nope.

maybe different classifications for National 5 but we do this topic at higher and classify red clydeside as the rent strikes, engineers strike and formation of the CWC and then of course the 31st January protests and the tanks and the rest of it. http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/scotlandshistory/20thand21stcenturies/redclydeside/ seems to say the same thing

hope that helps :smile:
Reply 42
How in depth do you guys go in your background in the introduction?

Also, does anyone know the best way to layout your factors in the introduction?
Should you simply list them or provide a sentence per one?

Thanks.
Original post by Sam2410
How in depth do you guys go in your background in the introduction?

Also, does anyone know the best way to layout your factors in the introduction?
Should you simply list them or provide a sentence per one?

Thanks.

You don't have to go in depth at all, maybe just a sentence or two for your context.
In terms of factors it can be a list just not made up of a few words so like a brief summary (couple of words) for each factor. You might not do Britain but instead of writing the Great War as a factor or suffragettes etc you would write: the Great War acted as a catalyst to change, the suffragettes used militant tactics in attempts to provoke reform etc etc

This is quite hard to explain but I've always got 4/4 in the structure part of all my essays and this is what I've done so I hope it helps :smile:
Reply 44
Original post by Sunshine2305
No guys you have to learn 8 essays- 4 from each topic. You choose one essay to do from a choice of 3, if you only learn 3 essays then the three that you have not learned could come up as each topic is divided into 6 parts/sections (ie there are 6 possible questions it could be!!)

I have been taught 12 essays in total as my teacher has taught us all of the sections but I am only learning 8 in total probably as that way I know that at least one of mine will come up! X

When I read the higher history past papers there has always been a choice.

However, are you saying that they could make there no choice for this year and just have 1 essay for each for example:

I haven't studied the success of the Labour reforms therefore I can just pick the other question, but is it possible there might not even be another question?
Has anyone got any suggestions on how to put evaluations into essays about the effectiveness of the Liberal/ Labour reforms essays? It's difficult since you aren't able to pick out a factor as being the most important like you can in the Women's Suffrage essays. I find it very straightforward to put analysis points in but much more difficult to evaluate. Should I just assess the overall successes of each group that reforms were passed for? Or should I pick out a specific group such as Disease and say that Labour dealt most effectively with poverty amongst this group compared to Ignorance, for example?
Here see for all yous people saying you cant predict essay questionsi predicted 6/6 last year
Reply 47
Original post by Bethpettigrew1
Here see for all yous people saying you cant predict essay questionsi predicted 6/6 last year

What's your prediction for this year?
I have proof for anyone who doesn't believe me 😂😂 and i think for Britain if you study that, women will probs come up, the liberal reforms but the one with the boar war (i cant remember if its how or why) and the opposite democracy question which came up last year (again i can't remember if its how or why) and for Russia if you study that i think 1917 the tsars abdication will come up, possibly 1906 stolypins reforms and 1905 bloody sunday again
Reply 49
I have proof for anyone who doesn't believe me 😂😂 and i think for Britain if you study that, women will probs come up, the liberal reforms but the one with the boar war (i cant remember if its how or why) and the opposite democracy question which came up last year (again i can't remember if its how or why) and for Russia if you study that i think 1917 the tsars abdication will come up, possibly 1906 stolypins reforms and 1905 bloody sunday again

Haha, do you mean issue 4 which is the one with factors, or Issue 5 determining how effective the reforms were?

Btw im doing Migration and Empire, Britain and Appeasement this year
Reply 50

Prediction are useless anyways because everybody should be going into the exam knowing atleast 7 essays. Regardless if the question was in last years exam you still need to know it.
Not entierly true because it made me feel more confident and i knew 8 essays but it was a bit of funny at the same time
Not entierly true because it made me feel more confident and i knew 8 essays but it was a bit of funny at the same time

Can you predict USA topic essay questions ???
I really want Wall Street

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aw i wish i could try, but i studied Russia last year so i have no clue on the USA essay questions or topics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aw i wish i could try, but i studied Russia last year so i have no clue on the USA essay questions or topics

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks anyway
I'm hoping for Wall Street essay

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

The predictions for the Britain essays were just the ones that never came up last year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah im just guessing though, its a new set of exams they will be wanting to test all aspects of the course so they may do that, i just guessed last year, am no actually a mind reader but i hope good essays come up this year for everyone this year but i am putting my word to women coming up but it probs wont
Reply 57
Well whatever issues come up are the same for each course I think, so last year it was issue 2, 5 and 6. So I'm like 100% sure one of 1, 3 and 4 will come up. For britain, that's why become more democratic, women and the vote and why liberal reforms

Anyone doing cold war?
Does anyone think the nazis in power will come up? For section two I've learned up wall street crash, changing attitudes to immigration in america and the rise of the nazis.

I'm scared incase only one comes up and it ends up being the nazis in power, but since it came up last year do you think I'd be safe not learning it up? Also does anyone think the other ones ive mentioned have a good chance of coming up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MaiBr13
Well whatever issues come up are the same for each course I think, so last year it was issue 2, 5 and 6. So I'm like 100% sure one of 1, 3 and 4 will come up. For britain, that's why become more democratic, women and the vote and why liberal reforms

Anyone doing cold war?

Looking back at past papers that isn't the case though, sometimes the same thing comes up for a second year. I know that was the old higher im refering to, but can you really be sure the sqa would be that nice and technically tell us what's coming up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending