The Student Room Group

Can you upgrade storage on retina MacBook Pro?

Is it possible to remove the 128Gb and expand it into 500GB like you can do with the MacBook non retina

So confused whther I should get the non-retina or retina pro
Or a 256GB air

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
Is it possible to remove the 128Gb and expand it into 500GB like you can do with the MacBook non retina

Or a 256GB air

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, everything's soldered together on the retina models so cannot be upgraded afterwards.

Also, don't touch the non-retina pro with a barge pole, it's incredibly out of date and you're paying £900 for a computer that came out four years ago. (Not sure why Apple hasn't discontinued this model already.)
Original post by jameswhughes
No, everything's soldered together on the retina models so cannot be upgraded afterwards.

Also, don't touch the non-retina pro with a barge pole, it's incredibly out of date and you're paying £900 for a computer that came out four years ago. (Not sure why Apple hasn't discontinued this model already.)

But it's got 500Gb hard drive
So much cheaper than flash drive on the other macs
I would go for the retina refurbished model as it's cheaper but only carries 128GB

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
But it's got 500Gb hard drive
So much cheaper than flash drive on the other macs
I would go for the retina refurbished model as it's cheaper but only carries 128GB

Posted from TSR Mobile

The archaic hard drive makes it slow and poor value for money, especially combined with the other disadvantages of the old processor, low resolution screen, weight, battery etc.
Original post by jameswhughes
The archaic hard drive makes it slow and poor value for money, especially combined with the other disadvantages of the old processor, low resolution screen, weight, battery etc.

So if I had a choice
Should I go for the MacBook Pro without retina or MacBook Air
Given that I'd like to do a lot of amateur movie making.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Bloom77
So if I had a choice
Should I go for the MacBook Pro without retina or MacBook Air
Given that I'd like to do a lot of amateur movie making.

Ignoring the non-retina MacBook Pro for the reasons mentioned above (you really should avoid it...), your best bet is probably to go for the MacBook Pro with Retina Display. The higher resolution display will be better for making movies and the processors are more powerful than in the Air. By choosing the 15-inch rMPB, you will have access to quad-core i7 processors; however these models are obviously more expensive than the 13-inch ones.

Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Bloom77

Or a 256GB air

Posted from TSR Mobile

Theoretically yes. Macbooks use a modified version of of the Samsung Sm951 PCIE SSDs but with a slightly different connection.

There are no stores which sell the modified versions, however you can buy them on eBay (which are fully compatible SSDs that have been taken out of existing Macbooks) . The steps for replacing the SSD is more difficult than usual though, but still possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay, I might not change it then
So what would I do if I do fill up the 128GB, get a hard drive?
And what is the best most afford ale hard drive you would recommend?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
No but I would recommend buying the MacBook with Retina.
Some of these people don't really seem to know what they're talking about :s-smilie:

A MacBook Pro w/ Retina Display can indeed have the SSD upgraded. It requires little skill, a screwdriver and a new 512GB SSD. See guide here: http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/upgrade-ssd-macbook-pro-retina-display

MacBook Pro w/ Retina Display can only use SSDs, if you have a HDD it will be useless. Hope this helps! The guy below is correct. Those saying you cannot are wrong.

Original post by SkyJP
Theoretically yes. Macbooks use a modified version of of the Samsung Sm951 PCIE SSDs but with a slightly different connection.

There are no stores which sell the modified versions, however you can buy them on eBay (which are fully compatible SSDs that have been taken out of existing Macbooks) . The steps for replacing the SSD is more difficult than usual though, but still possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Bloom77
Okay, I might not change it then
So what would I do if I do fill up the 128GB, get a hard drive?
And what is the best most afford ale hard drive you would recommend?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should check Currys/ PcWorld website and buy a external hard drive as they sometimes offer deals. A 1TB external hard drive should be around £50-£75.
Original post by iEthan
Some of these people don't really seem to know what they're talking about :s-smilie:

A MacBook Pro w/ Retina Display can indeed have the SSD upgraded. It requires little skill, a screwdriver and a new 512GB SSD. See guide here: http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/upgrade-ssd-macbook-pro-retina-display

MacBook Pro w/ Retina Display can only use SSDs, if you have a HDD it will be useless. Hope this helps! The guy below is correct. Those saying you cannot are wrong.

Thank you
Where would you recommend getting the 512 SSD? And would I be able to do the installation myself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
Thank you
Where would you recommend getting the 512 SSD? And would I be able to do the installation myself?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They are pretty pricy. It could be better to simply buy the upgraded SSD. However, have a Google around, you'll find them relatively easily.
Original post by iEthan
They are pretty pricy. It could be better to simply buy the upgraded SSD. However, have a Google around, you'll find them relatively easily.

Yeah they are
Just had a look
The upgrades MacBooks are just too pricy! I might just get a hard drive tbh
Thanks for the help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

crucial.com have been my go-to location for MacBook upgrades in the past, reliable and competitively priced for the most part and their compatibility tools ensure you get the correct parts for your particular machine because, as mentioned above, Apple's slightly modified SSDs can be a pain to track down.

Check ifixit.com for in-depth guides on repairing/replacing MacBook components. You probably need a proprietary screwdriver to get in (I can't remember what screws Apple use these days off the top of my head, but I'm guessing pentalobe) but the changeover itself is nornally straightforward enough as long you aren't sqeemish with opening electronics up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending