The Student Room Group

2016 AQA GCSE Chemistry Unofficial mark scheme 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
If you only said you need a catalyst and not a hot catalyst would you get the mark?
Reply 361
Original post by waagh
If you only said you need a catalyst and not a hot catalyst would you get the mark?

Probably, as long as your other point was talking about a high temperature being needed.
hello you have not mentioned the question on extracting ethanol and water using fractional distillation
Original post by FitzpatrickR
Yh thats right

could I say high temperature and pass over a catalyst?
Reply 364
Original post by t10r
Right, I sent the same question before and no one answered me so let's try again:

For the question about making the experiment more accurate, would having the spirit burner in a container inside the conical flask so that the water was surrounding the spirit burner, reducing the amount of heat that is lost to the surroundings, award any marks at all?

I don't think so as that would just heat the air inside the flask and not really the water?
Original post by Ahmed74
Isn't it this:
2Fe2O3+ 3C = 2Fe2+ 3CO2

that's the answer I got :smile:
I dont think ive done very good on this paper i think i got aprox 40marks which is going to be a C or D i assume :L
Original post by dhruvap
53 is too high... i say around 49-50.

I agree! All of these ***** are just saying that it will be 52+ just to scare us, it will be the same as last year no doubt about it, 50 max for an A* and around 41/42 for an A. Im hoping for a high A or an A* and by the unofficial marking scheme i got minimum of 45 so i would like to do better in the C2 and C3 exams!!!
Reply 368
Original post by bants12345

Same!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bants12345

I'm sure its right, you can't just change Fe2 into Fe.
Original post by Ahmed74
I'm sure its right, you can't just change Fe2 into Fe.

Iron is a metal so it does not use covalent bond which is why it is 4Fe

The reason it was Fe2O3 is because the ions were Fe3+ and O2- so 2 Fe atoms and 3 O atoms are needed to balance= Fe2O3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Better answer for Question 5: which contain enough of the metal to make it economically viable to extract. 'worthwhile' is a bit too general/vague, but may get the mark
Original post by Ahmed74
Isn't it this:
2Fe2O3+ 3C = 2Fe2+ 3CO2

I think it's 2Fe2O3 + 3C = 4Fe + 3CO2:
Fe2O3 is hametite and the reaction is a displacement reaction; I think it's just the same as O3 becoming O2 in this reaction.

I almost put the same as you but changed it at the last minute, it was 50-50 really :L

(It's also cited as the correct equation for the displacement of iron from hametite on BBC Bitesize: http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/aqa_pre_2011/rocks/metalsrev2.shtml)
Original post by Ahmed74
That's far too high, I can't remember an A* ever being over 50.

It was 50 last year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you think the grade boundaries will be very high?
btw i think i got 53/60..
Thanks for help :wink:
Original post by 0lut0
Was the question about what colour it changes to was it green?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No Colourless
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Question 1
Electron shell: 2,3( 1 mark)
nucleus( 1 mark)
( +1), electrons( -1), neutron is uncharged( 3 marks)- not sure if it was in the nucleus or just the atom overall

Not in form 2,8,8, has 1,8Boron has 10 electrons, the structure had 9 electrons( 3 marks)

Question 2
Tick box: copper oxide(1)

20.3(2 marks)

Digital thermometer, more precise and not subject to human error
Beaker insulated(2)

Carbon particles produced( particulates)Insufficient oxygen or incomplete combustion(2)

Best fuel because it produces least smoke/ burns the most cleanly. Produces the most energy per g(2)

Question 3
Advantages of hydrogen;
Only product water
Renewable
Provides more energy
No co2 or s02 released

Disadvantages:
Hydrogen is explosive
Hard to store because it is a gas
From natural gas( methane which is a greenhouse gas)
Engines need to be converted( 6 marks)

Thermal decomposition(1)

Question on potassium carbonate: doesn't fully thermally decompose, co2 not released, Bunsen burner temperature is not high enough( 3 marks)

Reactivity question: the lower the metal on the reactivity series, the easier it is broken down(2)

Question 4:
Conditions for cracking: high temperatures and a hot catalyst(2)

Fermentation question: sugar is dissolved and yeast is added to make ethanol(2)

Ethanol question: ethene is reacted with steam at high temperatures and catalyst(2)

Advantages and disadvantages of crude oil vs plants: Crude oil is a continuous process so faster, crude oil is more widely available, crude oil more reliable and things are set up for crude oil fractions

Non renewable, co2( global warming), SO2

(4 marks)

Question 5
metal ores are ores which contain enough of the metal to be worthwhile extracting( 1 mark)

It is converted to steel because cast iron is brittle or to make it stronger
Steel has more uses
Corrosion resistant
( 2 marks)

2Fe2O3+ 3C = 4Fe+ 3CO2( 2 marks)

It is not sent to landfill because this takes up space and causes pollution
It is not reused as it might have lost its strength and become unstable. Saves energy being used. Conserves raw materials
3 marks)

Question on distillation: Heat mixture between 80-99 degrees, the ethanol evaporates, cools and condenses to form pure ethanol and then raise temperature to 100 when all ethanol has evaporated to do the same to water( 3 marks).

Question on carbon neutral: carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas
This takes up CO2 when it grows in photosynthesis
The same amount is released when biofuel or oils are burned
So no overall increase in CO2
Continuous Carbon Cycle(3)

Last question on hydrogenation; 60 degrees, reacted with hydrogen, nickel catalyst, double bonds converted into single bonds, increasing boiling point, done so that's it's a solid at room temperature for a thick, spreadable consistency (5)

Mark somewhere for completing drawing of the alkane(1)

Bromine goes colourless somewhere(1)

Took me a while to make so any rep would be much appreciated :smile:

Damn it! i ticked copper and i wrote oxidation instead of thermal decomposition but the rest was good :biggrin:
Reply 377
Original post by Charlie223
No Colourless

I wrote clear

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SunnyBoys
i said that crude oil is a faster process so you can meet the demand that people need for ethanol, do you think this will get me 2 marks or just one?

maybe 1..........hopefully
Original post by redsoules
Colorless. Clear and transparent will likely get you no marks.

How would it get you no marks when colourless was the answer to the question?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending