The Student Room Group

Edexcel IGCSE French (17th May 2016)

Scroll to see replies

no i mean the second, third and the last three boxes
Reply 21
From what I put and others who also sat the exam that combination of answers was what most of us put, but there is really no point in discussing answers now - just have to forget about it and move on to the next exam
What did you write for the police and professor thing????
Reply 23
I really want a mark scheme for this
Reply 24
An unofficial one of course
Reply 25
the listening paper was impossible, tg the reading and writing wasnt hard or else i would be screwed
Reply 26
Original post by TSR2222
What did everyone think of the examination?

pretty hard
Hi - I know someone already answered this, but something just occured to me.

Listening is out of 50, but only worth 25%.
Reading and Writing is out of 60, but worth 50%.
Speaking is out of 40, and worth 25%.

Surely then it doesn't weight them accurately if you just add them up and convert that score out of 150 into a score out of 100?

Doesn't it make more sense to convert the listening mark to out of 25, the reading and writing to out of 50, and the speaking to out of 25, and then those up?

Sorry, I just want to make sure! Otherwise I'm fairly certain I've lost an A*... But hopefully my speaking will save me
Reply 28
Original post by metellaest
Hi - I know someone already answered this, but something just occured to me.

Listening is out of 50, but only worth 25%.
Reading and Writing is out of 60, but worth 50%.
Speaking is out of 40, and worth 25%.

Surely then it doesn't weight them accurately if you just add them up and convert that score out of 150 into a score out of 100?

Doesn't it make more sense to convert the listening mark to out of 25, the reading and writing to out of 50, and the speaking to out of 25, and then those up?

Sorry, I just want to make sure! Otherwise I'm fairly certain I've lost an A*... But hopefully my speaking will save me

This may not be helpful at all/not answer your question but what they do is calculate the percentage for each section (all 4 individually, reading, speaking, listening and writing) and then divide by 4 to get your average percentage and thus your overall mark.
Original post by 2000tr
This may not be helpful at all/not answer your question but what they do is calculate the percentage for each section (all 4 individually, reading, speaking, listening and writing) and then divide by 4 to get your average percentage and thus your overall mark.

Thanks for replying! So (using made up marks) if I got:

Speaking 38/40 (that would be 95%)

Listening 39/50 (that would be 78%)

Reading 24/30 (that would be 80%)

and Writing 26/30 (that would be 87%)

They would do 95 + 78 + 80 + 87 = 340

Then divide that by 4 to get: 85%

Is that right?

Sorry for the long reply. It's just really been stressing me out (as the listening is my weak point and I don't want it to drag my grade down...)

Thanks !
Reply 30
I'm really worried that my essay wasn't relevant to the essay on money ( it was the first choice). Is it adequate to write about how you spent money on a vacation, and then describing the activities you did on the vacation with that money?
Also can you remember any points you wrote about the computer and the policeman?
I just need any response to relieve my stress.
Original post by ursulab
I'm really worried that my essay wasn't relevant to the essay on money ( it was the first choice). Is it adequate to write about how you spent money on a vacation, and then describing the activities you did on the vacation with that money?
Also can you remember any points you wrote about the computer and the policeman?
I just need any response to relieve my stress.

Hey! Don't worry too much (I'm super stressed as well though). Most people at my school found listening hard, but reading and writing easy but I thought the whole thing was fairly tricky....

I thought that the essay was about pocket money? I wrote about how I do household chores to earn it, and that I went to the mall to spend it and I brought a skirt, and that young people should have to work to earn their money...

But I'm not sure. How did you find the other parts? I thought the listening was ridiculous and I got confused by the reading: it said "How is she going since she lived there" and I was really silly and thought that meant motion, not 'how is she doing' so I wrote "Her parents drive her". Oops...
Reply 32
Hey! Don't worry too much (I'm super stressed as well though). Most people at my school found listening hard, but reading and writing easy but I thought the whole thing was fairly tricky....

I thought that the essay was about pocket money? I wrote about how I do household chores to earn it, and that I went to the mall to spend it and I brought a skirt, and that young people should have to work to earn their money...

But I'm not sure. How did you find the other parts? I thought the listening was ridiculous and I got confused by the reading: it said "How is she going since she lived there" and I was really silly and thought that meant motion, not 'how is she doing' so I wrote "Her parents drive her". Oops...

I thought it mean motion also and I heard other people wrote by car. What did you write for the 2 advantages of the countryside?

French is definitely my weak point as I am better in sciences and I was aiming for a high grade but I don't think I have a chance. As far as I can tell i'm going to be marked down for content. I also did write about how I use my money to go to town and go shopping and I that I go to school to get a job in the future as I can't make money now....ugh i'm so dead.

I know people at my school found listening the hardest, and I'm just more worried now because of that essay :frown:.

Thanks for the reply!
Original post by ursulab
I thought it mean motion also and I heard other people wrote by car. What did you write for the 2 advantages of the countryside?

French is definitely my weak point as I am better in sciences and I was aiming for a high grade but I don't think I have a chance. As far as I can tell i'm going to be marked down for content. I also did write about how I use my money to go to town and go shopping and I that I go to school to get a job in the future as I can't make money now....ugh i'm so dead.

I know people at my school found listening the hardest, and I'm just more worried now because of that essay :frown:.

Thanks for the reply!

Gah I don't even remember that reading question! French is my weak point as well :frown: I have to get 10 A*s to get into my chosen sixth form (which is just ridiculous) so I'm praying I just scrape it...but after the disaster that was English Language Paper 2, I've probably lost that as well...

I wouldn't stress too much about the content. If you hit two out of the four BPs and your writing is fluent and accurate, I'm sure you'll get a decent mark.

I'm better in the sciences as well (taking Maths, Chemistry and Biology next year) - I'm terrible at all modern languages. If only Latin satisfied the language requirement...
Reply 34
Gah I don't even remember that reading question! French is my weak point as well :frown: I have to get 10 A*s to get into my chosen sixth form (which is just ridiculous) so I'm praying I just scrape it...but after the disaster that was English Language Paper 2, I've probably lost that as well...

I wouldn't stress too much about the content. If you hit two out of the four BPs and your writing is fluent and accurate, I'm sure you'll get a decent mark.

I'm better in the sciences as well (taking Maths, Chemistry and Biology next year) - I'm terrible at all modern languages. If only Latin satisfied the language requirement...

Wow 10 A*s? Sounds like Cardiff 6th form college. I'm sure you have done better than you think you have on that English paper. I wish you the best of luck with your aspirations. Thank you so much for your reassuring replies, I feel less stressed now. I'm also taking sciences and math next year - it will be great to finally drop the subjects I despise haha.

I'm going to be studying geography now, oh how I love geography.
Reply 35
Thanks for replying! So (using made up marks) if I got:

Speaking 38/40 (that would be 95%)

Listening 39/50 (that would be 78%)

Reading 24/30 (that would be 80%)

and Writing 26/30 (that would be 87%)

They would do 95 + 78 + 80 + 87 = 340

Then divide that by 4 to get: 85%

Is that right?

Sorry for the long reply. It's just really been stressing me out (as the listening is my weak point and I don't want it to drag my grade down...)

Thanks !

Yes that's right :smile: and same my listening was dreadful, I think it is most peoples weakest skill cause you can't fully prepare (like the oral) and you don't have any control to come back/read again (like reading and writing).
Is 38/50 good for that listening paper , is A* possible?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What were the questions the 10 marker and 20 marker on
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending