The Student Room Group

Maths Ocr 2016 C1

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Original post by jakepds
I don't get it, the exam was an absolute gift. We were all talking after the exam about how it was a nice exam.
Checking the unofficial mark schemes, it appears I am the only person in the world to score well. It wouldn't surprise me if the boundaries weren't high, as the only people who vent on the internet are those who do badly, and no offence; but the people on this thread are a small minority.

In hindsight, it wasn't that bad but it was certainly tougher than any other C1 exams set. The grade boundaries definitely will not be lower than 55 but then again they definitely won't be as high as the last couple of years, 64/65. They will be probably back to the 'set' level of around 58/59.

Let's stop worrying now - on to C2. Like I said, last year C1 was piss easy and the rest were different and harder, so hopefully its the opposite of that. Oh well - the papers are written now...
Original post by DanMcGrathKB
Wait are you max Jackson from Ricky school?

sometimes
Original post by SGHD26716
I guess the problem is that the style of questions were slightly different. Comparing to all the past papers I did, I think this is my worst one so far. But I still think I got around 59-60 marks, which should be enough for a good A, if the grade boundary is lowered. I think the boundary would be around 54-55, not into the 60s though.
Seems you did well. Well done, are you doing FP1 as well?

Cheers, I'm not sitting it this year, but there is potential to potentially sit FP1,2 and M2/S2 next year to get the AS in FM. Not sure I'm going to though, A Levels are time consuming enough anyway!
For the simultaneous equations question, shouldn't the answers be
x=3, y=5
x=-3/5 and y = -29/5

If you put in x=-3 and y=-5 in the second equation: 3x-y-4=0
-9+5-4=-8

but if you use x=3 and y=5
you get: 9-5-4=0

No, we checked it before posting it on here using a graphical calculator.
Reply 424
Original post by metasysta
No, we checked it before posting it on here using a graphical calculator.

What were the two simultaneous equations again?
According to your markscheme they are:x2+y2= 34
3x-y-4=0
equation.png
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jakepds
I don't get it, the exam was an absolute gift. We were all talking after the exam about how it was a nice exam.
Checking the unofficial mark schemes, it appears I am the only person in the world to score well. It wouldn't surprise me if the boundaries weren't high, as the only people who vent on the internet are those who do badly, and no offence; but the people on this thread are a small minority.

I dont think that's completely fair. They've completely altered the style of questions - which might be fine if you're doing further maths, but for a lot of people these are incomparable to the papers before this one which are probably just above gcse standard.
Original post by sknmaster
I dont think that's completely fair. They've completely altered the style of questions - which might be fine if you're doing further maths, but for a lot of people these are incomparable to the papers before this one which are probably just above gcse standard.

I'm not doing further maths though. I've learnt C1, C2 and S1 this year, didn't do add maths so I am not at an advantage.
That exam was not difficult and the questions in my opinion were't different at all.
If you know how to do maths, the structure of the questions shouldn't matter.
What were the two simultaneous equations again?
According to your markscheme they are:x2+y2= 34
3x-y-4=0
equation.png

I have corrected the mark scheme. It was a typo, I apologise.
Reply 428
I have corrected the mark scheme. It was a typo, I apologise.

No worries
For the simultaneous equations question, shouldn't the answers be
x=3, y=5
x=-3/5 and y = -29/5

If you put in x=-3 and y=-5 in the second equation: 3x-y-4=0
-9+5-4=-8

but if you use x=3 and y=5
you get: 9-5-4=0

I agree
Original post by AnonUK21
Any ideas what the grade boundaries will be?

I got about 55 on that, which is terrible performance (~75%) compared to the 90ish%'s I was getting whilst doing past papers. Not sure if I just choked under pressure or if the exam was generally harder...

You choked. It was an easy paper.
If you thought it was difficult, please explain which parts of which questions were tough?
Original post by jakepds
I'm not doing further maths though. I've learnt C1, C2 and S1 this year, didn't do add maths so I am not at an advantage.
That exam was not difficult and the questions in my opinion were't different at all.
If you know how to do maths, the structure of the questions shouldn't matter.

The fact that you're able to apply your knowledge to different styles of questions and found that exam manageable shows you have a very good understanding of maths so well done. However, denying that that exam was harder or different in any way to previous years is completely ridiculous? However competent you are, if you've done any of the past papers which I assume you have, it's not difficult to recognise that that exam was harder than the others and the question styles weren't standard. Doing an exam that is much more difficult than you expected, especially an exam as important as an AS, is a horrible experience that can knock your confidence so please be a bit more sensitive.
Reply 432
Original post by begbie68
If you thought it was difficult, please explain which parts of which questions were tough?

How well do you think you did? I think I got around 59-60. I think people found it difficult as the style of questions was different compared to previous years, especially recently.

You doing FP1 tomorrow?
Original post by begbie68

You're an examiner at OCR and a Mathematics teacher, ofcourse you're going to say it was an easy paper.

However, I clearly wasn't the only person who found it difficult, or at least more difficult than average - many people (just check Reddit, twitter, etc) are saying that this is the hardest Core 1 paper to date.

How well do you think you did? I think I got around 59-60. I think people found it difficult as the style of questions was different compared to previous years, especially recently.You doing FP1 tomorrow?
He's not doing FP1 tomorrow because he's an examiner at OCR
Reply 434
Original post by AnonUK21
You're an examiner at OCR and a Mathematics teacher, ofcourse you're going to say it was an easy paper.

However, I clearly wasn't the only person who found it difficult, or at least more difficult than average - many people (just check Reddit, twitter, etc) are saying that this is the hardest Core 1 paper to date.

He's not doing FP1 tomorrow because he's an examiner at OCR

No wonder he found it easy. Don't see why he needs to pass these comments then. Just disheartens others
This is a mark scheme and questions with some worked solutions for todays paper.

Thanks to the people who helped me create this:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xUeoSwXdOYRFjLSQUu1WKb9Yl5_GFg6p_FoeRhCofv0/edit?usp=sharing

I'm not sure this will help anybody, but I quickly spent a few minutes looking at all the grade boundaries. I see in the Mark Scheme doc there are already A grades, but I've looked at the other grades too.
C1 MAths Avergae Grade Boundaries v2.PNG
(edited 7 years ago)
why were the grade boundaries so low in jan 11?
What mark do you think 100ums will be on this paper?
Original post by swagmister
What mark do you think 100ums will be on this paper?

In Jan 11 it was 68 marks for 100 UMS. Hopefully it will be lower.
Original post by LikkanChung
In Jan 11 it was 68 marks for 100 UMS. Hopefully it will be lower.

I hope so! I think I have around 66

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending