The Student Room Group

How much Maths do A level Sciences have?

I hate GCSE Maths and can't stand it. I plan to take Biology, Chemistry, and Physics next year but I am not too good with Maths and have zero motivation with the subject. How much Maths do the Sciences actually contain at A level?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Tinka99
I hate GCSE Maths and can't stand it. I plan to take Biology, Chemistry, and Physics next year but I am not too good with Maths and have zero motivation with the subject. How much Maths do the Sciences actually contain at A level?

Biology has 10% maths on exams. Chemistry, I'm not sure of percentage, but we've done quite a bit of math this year (AS), but it's not hard. Just practice the questions and you'll be fine. And I don't do physics so can't say, sorry.
Reply 2
Original post by yusir
Biology has 10% maths on exams. Chemistry, I'm not sure of percentage, but we've done quite a bit of math this year (AS), but it's not hard. Just practice the questions and you'll be fine. And I don't do physics so can't say, sorry.

I am at a C in GCSE Maths and struggling to get a B so would you say Chemistry is a subject for me?
Reply 3
From my experience:

Biology - 0. Well, you will probably have to do about 1 calculation in each of your exams such as working out the percentage increase/decrease so try not to worry.

Chemistry.- There's quite a bit actually but it's all really simple. Like, dividing fairly simple numbers and rearranging formula/substituting. A2 calculations may get a little complicated though.

Physics is very mathsy. At least, it was at AS level. - Not sure about A2.

I don't think it's necessary for you to be incredibly good at Maths to take any of those subjects though ... (perhaps bar Physics.. ) bc your school will most likely prepare you very well and guide you through the style of questions etc so you're able to understand it. As long as you're a B grade at GCSE then you should be fine. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
I don't know about the other two. But Physics is heavily maths based and does require that mathematical mindset quite often. For AS not so much in comparison to A2, which demands more.

For the new linear spec, the one with no AS that is, I find that you are taught at the same level of maths throughout the course. There might be subjects that have more maths than others, but that's dependent on the nature of the topic. You do get a five page formulea sheet too. :redface:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Tinka99
I am at a C in GCSE Maths and struggling to get a B so would you say Chemistry is a subject for me?

Physics is a quite a lot of maths, so if you don't like maths I'd either look at some physics type stuff to see what you'd be getting yourself into, or ask a teacher etc. Chemistry has a little bit but as mentioned above its all quite simple, just using basic formulas etc.

I can't speak for biology but I'd assume its less than chemistry and far less than physics.
Original post by yusir

Bio is 10% maths, physics is 40%, chemistry is 60%. However physics has more of an emphasis on techniques used in maths, eg. more rearranging formula and even some trigonometry
Reply 7
There's literally no maths at all in physics, don't know about the rest. It's quite sad, really. Physics would benefit a lot from having some more maths.

Edit: nvm, reading this thread, looks like I've got the dissenting opinion, ignore me.
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't know about Biology, but Physics has quite a lot and you'd benefit from doing A-level Maths. Chemistry has some and if you're naturally inclined it helps but it's not that much.

But word of advice - don't take 3 sciences unless you need to or those are the things you enjoy most - they are all very tough A-levels and not to be taken on a whim.

Edit: this was for the old spec - I'm not sure about the new ones :colondollar:
Reply 9
Original post by Bruhh
Physics is a quite a lot of maths, so if you don't like maths I'd either look at some physics type stuff to see what you'd be getting yourself into, or ask a teacher etc. Chemistry has a little bit but as mentioned above its all quite simple, just using basic formulas etc.

I can't speak for biology but I'd assume its less than chemistry and far less than physics.

I struggle with a lot of the GCSE A/A* topics and mostly dependent on the B, C and D grade topics to get me a B. I really can't stand any Maths and I am starting to wonder if I should really take Physics A level. Do you think I should even be considering A-level Physics looking at my lack of mathematical ability?
Reply 10
Original post by Tinka99

You'll have to double check, but I believe you need at least a B to do A level chem
The maths in AS physics is still rearranging equations/substituting etc, it just gets tricky when you have to figure out what equation and which numbers to use. Aside from that you will need to be familiar with graphs in the form y=mx+c and understand what each of the terms show, and apply them in context. Again, the actual maths itself is nothing more than multiplication/addiction etc.

It's similar for A2, it's just some of these equations can be a bit more difficult to rearrange (e.g. the decay of charge equation or magnitude equation which require you to know how logarithms work)

It's similar for chemistry, although chemistry has far less calculations to deal with
Original post by Tinka99

From my experience, definitely don't bother with Physics. There's quite a lot of maths in it. Not very hard maths, but more maths heavy than the others.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
There's literally no maths at all in physics, don't know about the rest. It's quite sad, really. Physics would benefit a lot from having some more maths.

Edit: nvm, reading this thread, looks like I've got the dissenting opinion, ignore me.

You're right to an extent imo, there's no "real maths" if that makes sense, i.e. there's no calculus or vectors etc
Reply 14
Original post by HeskeyLAD
From my experience, definitely don't bother with Physics. There's quite a lot of maths in it.

I am finding Physics GCSE quite easy, to be honest, and I am doing triple science.
Original post by Zacken

I suppose you're right. There's not that much actual, proper Maths but in order to do most of the physics you've got to be good at Maths and constantly hold a Mathsy brain so I think it makes you feel as though there's a lot of it when in reality there may not be.
Reply 16
Original post by Tinka99
I struggle with a lot of the GCSE A/A* topics and mostly dependent on the B, C and D grade topics to get me a B. I really can't stand any Maths and I am starting to wonder if I should really take Physics A level. Do you think I should even be considering A-level Physics looking at my lack of mathematical ability?

I'd say if you're struggling to get a B it may not be for you, but if you think you'd enjoy physics then don't let that stop you. The actual maths content isn't hard and the majority of formulas etc you need are given to you and are easy to derive. You just need to be fairly comfortable with standard form, rearranging simple algebra and at A2 exponentials/logs. However, if you want to do physics and are willing to put in extra work to learn the maths you'll need (not much extra than GCSE) I see no reason why you can't take it.

If I was you I'd go and speak to a physics teacher at your school and explain your situation and see what they say. It's hard to judge the difficulty of physics maths from your perspective as I do both maths/further maths.
Reply 17
Original post by TajwarC
You're right to an extent imo, there's no "real maths" if that makes sense, i.e. there's no calculus or vectors etc

Yes, this is what I feel as well. Calculus is pretty much the foundation of physics but it's stripped out of the a-level course... logic.
Reply 18
Original post by Anon_98
I suppose you're right. There's not that much actual, proper Maths but in order to do most of the physics you've got to be good at Maths and constantly hold a Mathsy brain so I think it makes you feel as though there's a lot of it when in reality there may not be.

Ahhh, yeah. I get your point, makes sense in hindsight. I guess I never really thought about it in that way before, taking it for granted.
Original post by Tinka99
I am finding Physics GCSE quite easy, to be honest, and I am doing triple science.

I personally found Physics A-level a massive jump from GCSE (which I also found quite easy), and it's one of those subjects where you may benefit by doing A-level Maths as well.

If you're good at rearranging, you should be fine. I just struggled with the concepts.

Quick Reply

Latest