The Student Room Group

AQA iGCSE Biology Paper 1

Scroll to see replies

Original post by notveryoriginal
Everyone around me was asking for extra paper and I have no idea why. Also, for the "what dangers on a coast line" question, I panicked and just wrote "drowning"

I put sharp rocks under the sea but I don't know if it's right
Original post by Supreme_
What was the letter for the common ancestor question and what era was the black bear ancestors from?

A (I think) and the era I think was the penultimate one? I think it was the second one that began with a P.
Original post by iwishicouldfly14
A (I think) and the era I think was the penultimate one? I think it was the second one that began with a P.

Wasn't B the first common ancestor?
What did you write the last question? Thought was something about speciation.
Side note, I panicked on the cancer question and saw cancer and wrote X-rays 😂
Original post by Vapouriser
Wasn't B the first common ancestor?

I don't remember completely, and there's a large probability I made a mistake, but I thought B was only an ancestor for whatever was on the top - not A.
I'm probably wrong with everything :biggrin::s-smilie:
Reply 65
Not Sure Q Numbers, but these are the things i remeber putting.

Plants Use Nitrates to form - Proteins
Gains Nutrients through digesting other animals

Organ A is a Lung
Needed for gas exchange, O2 in blood CO2 out.
Organ B is a Kidney
Tick 2 - Regulates Water, Produces Urine
The liver Filters/Detoxifies Blood, Produces Bile, Stores Glycogen

Carbon Cycle
A was Repiration, all things respire for energy, this produces CO2.
B was Seaquestration, Plants/ Algae photosynthesise for food and take in CO2 from atmosphere
C was Consumption and Digestion, The animals digest the plants and take in their Carbon seaquested inside of them.
D was Decomposition, the respiration of microbes. Decomposers gather around the dead matter consuming and digesting it while also respiring.

% Increase of Bears was to 2 Sig Fig! not 2 DP. answer was 61.00% i think.

Bear at equator was smaller therefore larger SA:VOL so could release heat to surroundings at a quicker rate.
Polar Bear was larger for a smaller SA:VOL so as to retain as much heat as possible.

There were 23 pairs of chromosomes, circle the 2 at the end which were labbled XX.
Gametes contain 23 single Chromosomesso that when Sperm and egg fuse, 23 plus 23 = 46 (the right ammount) for a pair of each chromosome one from father and mother.
Down's Syndrome caused by an extra chromosome 21.
Chromosomes can be found in the Nucleus of a cell.

Stucture of DNA.
Two long Sugar Phosphate structures (hopefully allow "phosphate structure" what i put :/). Onto that is connected Bases of which there are 4 that pair up into twos, when joined the structure forms a double helix.

Seaweed has little overlap as different species may not be adapted to survive in the others habitats.

Snails...
The idea that
Bands occured through a random mutation.
Allele for bands was dominant, was passed down to offspring as no negative survival traits occured.
Bands found way into other colours through more random mutations or secual reproduction.

Sexual reproduction allows for variation as offspring can inherit characteristics through genes from either parent, allowing for animals to be carries or expressers of many different variation of a gene.
More variation as opposed to only variation through random mutations.

Anyway add any i forgot and correct anything that looks wrong!!
Happy days all :smile:
Reply 66
2.3-1.4=0.9
100\2.3= 23 over 1000
23 over 1000 X 0.9 = 39 to 2 sig figs

Which is completely wrong I now realise

I still think it is correct - that's exactly what I did. Idk tbh, as long as I am given a few marks for it I'm fine.
Would be great to get an unofficial mark scheme going. Thought it was pretty difficult to be honest. Hopefully they will be nice with paper 2
Original post by Vapouriser
What did everyone put for the 5 marker with the quadrat and tide levels

lay out a 15m transect up the beach, with 0m at the low tide water mark

put 5 quadrats at equal distances along it

use identification book to count how many small squares each species of seaweed covers

use this to work out percentage cover at each distance

repeat 3 times and take averages
The Venus fly trap one was active transport and most of that sounds correct / is what I put for majority and I already know certain bits where I went wrong
Wait i swear the percentages question was 39% because 2.3 isnt 2 times bigger than 1.4 but tbf the paper wasnt that hard
Reply 71
Original post by scarlettsmith
lay out a 15m transect up the beach, with 0m at the low tide water mark

put 5 quadrats at equal distances along it

use identification book to count how many small squares each species of seaweed covers

use this to work out percentage cover at each distance

repeat 3 times and take averages

I think you would just tally the numbers, as it asked for distribution.
Thought that bio exam was pretty difficult and really paper 2 like? That whole page about low tide and where the seaweed grows baffled me haha I'm feeling the grade boundaries will be pretty low like 80% max for A*.. Chemistry today was better
Reply 73
What is actually the difference between paper 1 and paper 2 in science? will it just be everything that didn't come up in paper 1?
Anyonr know the breakdown of marks for each question?
Original post by rm715
What is actually the difference between paper 1 and paper 2 in science? will it just be everything that didn't come up in paper 1?

Paper 1 is usually just knowledge recall, general facts. Paper 2 is application of knowledge, so questions about "XYZ student did an experiment, explain how to, etc".
Reply 76
Paper 1 is usually just knowledge recall, general facts. Paper 2 is application of knowledge, so questions about "XYZ student did an experiment, explain how to, etc".

Ah okay thankyou very much
same!!! fingers crossed
Everyone around me was asking for extra paper and I have no idea why. Also, for the "what dangers on a coast line" question, I panicked and just wrote "drowning"

I wrote rocks cause there was rocks in the diagram
Original post by sv42008
I still think it is correct - that's exactly what I did. Idk tbh, as long as I am given a few marks for it I'm fine.

The correct answer is 64% i think cause thats what this maths genius at my school got?! 0.9 divides by 1.4 times 100

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending