The Student Room Group

National 5 Physics 2015-2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sameehaiqbal
Good luck bbe <3

Original post by Ethan100
hahahaha sorry man, just a little bit of luck from you would be nice..

@Ethan100

Great. Are you proud of yourself now? It's you hijacking the chem thread with others now.

Hoooooooo boy:smile:
Guys! I am so confused right now while revising Dynamics and Space!!!!!
I'm revising Newtons Laws and I can't seem to be able to tell the difference between Newtons First Law and Newtons Third Law?!
I understand that Newtons First Law states that one force is cancelled out by another; a stationary object will stay stationary and an object in motion will remain at a constant motion and there will be no acceleration. I also understand that Newtons Third Law concerns equal and opposite forces and that if force A exerts a force on B then B exerts an equal but opposite force on A. But I get majorly confused when doing questions identifying these laws and get the Third Law mixed up with the First one because the Third Law also seems to illustrate balanced forces?!

Urgh somebody help please :frown:
I'm revising Newtons Laws and I can't seem to be able to tell the difference between Newtons First Law and Newtons Third Law?!
I understand that Newtons First Law states that one force is cancelled out by another; a stationary object will stay stationary and an object in motion will remain at a constant motion and there will be no acceleration. I also understand that Newtons Third Law concerns equal and opposite forces and that if force A exerts a force on B then B exerts an equal but opposite force on A. But I get majorly confused when doing questions identifying these laws and get the Third Law mixed up with the First one because the Third Law also seems to illustrate balanced forces?!

@Jeff458 Jeff Would love to help you :P
(edited 7 years ago)

Post the questions your getting stuck on.
@.Jeff458 i need your help lol
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by A+Hunter
Post the questions your getting stuck on.

Its not even specific questions for example i thought the example of a seatbelt on a passenger in a car exerts a balanced force because the passenger exerts a force on the seatbelt and the seatbelt exerts a force on the passenger too, to stop the passenger from tumbling around in the car but turns out its actually newtons third law is used in this scenario. Im really confused :frown:
Its not even specific questions for example i thought the example of a seatbelt on a passenger in a car exerts a balanced force because the passenger exerts a force on the seatbelt and the seatbelt exerts a force on the passenger too, to stop the passenger from tumbling around in the car but turns out its actually newtons third law is used in this scenario. Im really confused :frown:

Right....

When a car collides with something, the person in the car experiences no unbalanced force, So as a result of this they will continue to go forward. << This bit is newtons first law of motion. Because he's experiencing no unbalanced force, he's going to move forward.

This is where the seatbelt bit comes in.... As the person moves forward, he pushes against the seatbelt (the action force), the seatbelt then exerts a force back onto the person (the reaction). << This is newtons third law.
Original post by A+Hunter
Right....

When a car collides with something, the person in the car experiences no unbalanced force, So as a result of this they will continue to go forward. << This bit is newtons first law of motion. Because he's experiencing no unbalanced force, he's going to move forward.

This is where the seatbelt bit comes in.... As the person moves forward, he pushes against the seatbelt (the action force), the seatbelt then exerts a force back onto the person (the reaction). << This is newtons third law.

Awwwww thank you!!!!! :biggrin:

Do you know any good websites for past papers/ revision for physics ?
@Jeff458 Jeff Would love to help you :P

Cheeky boi^^^^

Everything make sense now I hope? If not I will try my best.

Do you know any good websites for past papers/ revision for physics ?

Strongly recommend using Fizzics - MrMackenzie for past papers for Physics. Use the int 2 ones there are loads. They genuinely do recycle questions so it is definitely worth going through them all. That's exactly what I am doing right now.

Best of luck with your exam guys!
Original post by .Jeff458
Cheeky boi^^^^

Everything make sense now I hope? If not I will try my best.

Strongly recommend using Fizzics - MrMackenzie for past papers for Physics. Use the int 2 ones there are loads. They genuinely do recycle questions so it is definitely worth going through them all. That's exactly what I am doing right now.

Best of luck with your exam guys!

Thanks man, appreciate it :smile:

In Newton's 1st law, the two equal and opposite forces are acting on the SAME object - resulting in no overall unbalanced force.

In Newton's 3rd law, the two equal and opposite forces are acting on DIFFERENT objects.
Thanks man, appreciate it :smile:

also look at these two pages.

http://mrmackenzie.co.uk/category/national-5/page/2/

http://mrmackenzie.co.uk/category/national-5/page/3/

and download the past paper question booklets for each unit and the answer booklets for them too.
Original post by Chandler
In Newton's 1st law, the two equal and opposite forces are acting on the SAME object - resulting in no overall unbalanced force.

In Newton's 3rd law, the two equal and opposite forces are acting on DIFFERENT objects.

Thank you thank you thank you!! :biggrin:
image.png

Me right now tbh :biggrin:
Original post by Chandler
also look at these two pages.

http://mrmackenzie.co.uk/category/national-5/page/2/

http://mrmackenzie.co.uk/category/national-5/page/3/

and download the past paper question booklets for each unit and the answer booklets for them too.

Where can u get this?
What is the entire physics exam out of including the assignment?
What is the entire physics exam out of including the assignment?

Section 1 : 20 Marks
Section 2 : 90 Marks
Assignment : 20 Marks

Overall 120 Marks
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply