The Student Room Group

I find English Literature too hard :(

I feel hopeless and that I'll get a terrible grade. I've put in the work but I don't know if it was good revision or if it's just that I'm bad at English. Does anybody have any tips? I don't know what can be done now since it's less than a week away until the first exam. Thanks.
Which area of english lit are you finding difficult?
Original post by AxSirlotl
I feel hopeless and that I'll get a terrible grade. I've put in the work but I don't know if it was good revision or if it's just that I'm bad at English. Does anybody have any tips? I don't know what can be done now since it's less than a week away until the first exam. Thanks.

Read the examiners' reports which you can find on the exam boards' websites - it's so useful! They basically tell you exactly what the exam boards are looking for. I also find doing mind maps helpful.
I got an A in literature and if you're revising then you will get a good grade. I don't particularly like literature, hence why I didn't not take it as an A level I found that it dragged too much, and the poems were a bore. What I suggest you do is condense your notes. Think about main points and just blab slightly, that's what I did anyway. Also, practise your writing techniques and spelling. Considering it is English they pick up on grammar. Good luck, but if you did fail (which I don't think you will) you can always re take next year if you wanted too, many people do it. In my essay on 'Of Mice and Men' I wrote down 7 points on the character and just elaborated. Get down what you need to know in bullet points. I also use to image what characters and what they poems are saying in my head, so I can interpret them, it helped me a lot when describing things. Hope that helped slightly
Reply 4
Original post by socialdisaster
Which area of english lit are you finding difficult?

It's not just one area really, it's quite vague but I'll try to describe it. I'll be asked "how Priestley presents gender" and will know so much about gender in the play (Eva is used by men and Priestley wanted equal rights) but I will find it very difficult to write about it. Maybe it's because I don't know how to start, I don't know.
Reply 5
Original post by sophiaaaloo
I got an A in literature and if you're revising then you will get a good grade. I don't particularly like literature, hence why I didn't not take it as an A level I found that it dragged too much, and the poems were a bore. What I suggest you do is condense your notes. Think about main points and just blab slightly, that's what I did anyway. Also, practise your writing techniques and spelling. Considering it is English they pick up on grammar. Good luck, but if you did fail (which I don't think you will) you can always re take next year if you wanted too, many people do it. In my essay on 'Of Mice and Men' I wrote down 7 points on the character and just elaborated. Get down what you need to know in bullet points. I also use to image what characters and what they poems are saying in my head, so I can interpret them, it helped me a lot when describing things. Hope that helped slightly

I don't need English Literature to do my A levels but I don't want to get a C because I've worked really hard and it doesn't look good for an A (ish) grade student. Thanks for the advice.
Reply 6
Original post by GlassyMarbles
Read the examiners' reports which you can find on the exam boards' websites - it's so useful! They basically tell you exactly what the exam boards are looking for. I also find doing mind maps helpful.

Thanks, will do.
It's not just one area really, it's quite vague but I'll try to describe it. I'll be asked "how Priestley presents gender" and will know so much about gender in the play (Eva is used by men and Priestley wanted equal rights) but I will find it very difficult to write about it. Maybe it's because I don't know how to start, I don't know.

I had this problem. Introductions and conclusions are very important in the essay as it can determine a C from a B or even a B from a A. If that was the question you could start of by saying "There are many examples which present gender, for example.." then in the following paragraphs elaborate on the points. Remember to write about what Priestly tried to portray and what he wanted the think and feel, but this could all be said in the conclusion.

It sounds to me like you're struggling with the structure of your response rather than the content itself, which is good because that's easy to fix. I'd recommend asking your teacher for help with deciding on a set essay plan that works for you. Then you can just find the points you want to make and slot them into the structure you've already got.

Having a set essay structure is also good in terms of marking because it's easier for the examiner to follow :P
Reply 9
Original post by socialdisaster
It sounds to me like you're struggling with the structure of your response rather than the content itself, which is good because that's easy to fix. I'd recommend asking your teacher for help with deciding on a set essay plan that works for you. Then you can just find the points you want to make and slot them into the structure you've already got.

Having a set essay structure is also good in terms of marking because it's easier for the examiner to follow :P

Okay, that does make sense :smile: Thanks, I'll ask my teacher about that.
- use PEEEL
- Try and remember killer analysis and links
- make a summary of each chapter
- practise writing opening to essays
- do PEEEL paragraphs - they are less intimidating to write rather than whole essays
- do character profiles, including quotes and analysis
- make key theme mind maps
- read exam reports on what not to do.

You will be okay. :redface: just analyse lots and less description.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by samina_ay
- use PEEEL
- Try and remember killer analysis and links
- make a summary of each chapter
- practise writing opening to essays
- do PEEEL paragraphs - they are less intimidating to write rather than whole essays
- do character profiles, including quotes and analysis
- make key theme mind maps
- read exam reports on what not to do.

You will be okay. :redface: just analyse lots and less description.

If you don't mind me asking, what does PEEEEL stand for? I've only learnt PEE before haha
If you don't mind me asking, what does PEEEEL stand for? I've only learnt PEE before haha

When you can't think of a point pull a potato out.
Original post by DanteTheDoorKnob
When you can't think of a point pull a potato out.

Thanks so much, now I know what to do with all those spare potatoes in my pocket! You're my hero!

Point
Evidence
Explain
Expand
Link
Original post by samina_ay
Point
Evidence
Explain
Expand
Link

Cheers :smile: