The Student Room Group

2016 AQA GCSE Chemistry Unofficial mark scheme 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lucysouthway
Could you do a foundation mark scheme please? thanks :smile:

nah, thats lowkey impossible b, coz everyone does either Higher or Foundation, so he wouldn't know what came up in Foundation
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Question 1
Electron shell: 2,3( 1 mark)
Nucleus( 1 mark)
Neutron is uncharged, proton has a charge of +1 ( 3 marks)

Not in form 2,8,8, has 1,8. Neon has 10 electrons, the structure had 9 electrons, doesn't have a full outer shell but neon does (
3 marks)

Question 2
Tick box: copper oxide(1)

20.3(2 marks)

Digital thermometer, more precise and not subject to human error
Beaker insulated(2)

Carbon particles produced( particulates)Insufficient oxygen or incomplete combustion(2)

Best fuel because it produces least smoke/ burns the most cleanly. Produces the most energy per g(2)

Question 3
Advantages of hydrogen;
Only product water
Renewable
Provides more energy
No co2 or s02 released

Disadvantages:
Hydrogen is explosive
Hard to store because it is a gas
From natural gas( methane which is a greenhouse gas)
Engines need to be converted( 6 marks)

Thermal decomposition(1)

Question on potassium carbonate: doesn't fully thermally decompose, co2 not released, Bunsen burner temperature is not high enough( 3 marks)

Reactivity question: the lower the metal on the reactivity series, the easier it is broken down(2)

Question 4:
Conditions for cracking: high temperatures and a hot catalyst(2)

Fermentation question: sugar is dissolved and yeast is added to make ethanol(2)

Ethanol question: ethene is reacted with steam at high temperatures and catalyst(2)

Advantages and disadvantages of crude oil vs plants: Crude oil is a continuous process so faster. The ethanol produced from crude oil is more pure than plants and biofuel.Crude oil is more widely available, crude oil is more reliable.

Non renewable, co2( global warming), SO2

(4 marks)

Question 5
metal ores are ores which contain enough of the metal to be worthwhile extracting( 1 mark)

It is converted to steel because cast iron is brittle or to make it stronger
Steel has more uses
Corrosion resistant
( 2 marks)

2Fe2O3+ 3C = 4Fe+ 3CO2( 2 marks)

It is not sent to landfill because this takes up space and causes pollution
It is not reused as it might have lost its strength and become unstable. Saves energy being used. Conserves raw materials
3 marks)

Question on distillation: Heat mixture between 80-99 degrees, the ethanol evaporates, cools and condenses to form pure ethanol and then raise temperature to 100 when all ethanol has evaporated to do the same to water( 3 marks).

Question on carbon neutral: carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas
This takes up CO2 when it grows in photosynthesis
The same amount is released when biofuel or oils are burned
So no overall increase in CO2
Continuous Carbon Cycle(3)

Last question on hydrogenation; 60 degrees, reacted with hydrogen, nickel catalyst, double bonds converted into single bonds, increasing boiling point, done so that's it's a solid at room temperature for a thick, spreadable consistency (5)

Mark somewhere for completing drawing of the alkane(1)

Bromine goes colourless somewhere(1)

Took me a while to make so any rep would be much appreciated :smile:

What do you guys think the grade boundaries will be???
Original post by dhruvap
I reckon i've got 54-55 with harsh marking. By the way 20.3 is a wrong answer! You are meant to place it in 2 decimal figures (from the graph) for 2 marks. So in reality the answer is 20.30 not 20.3. How do I know this? 1) It was a 2 marker. 2) Our teacher is an AQA part time examiner and that is what he told us.

that's just not true.
How many marks is it? I done the exam today and I think it went well however I did slip up on some questions
Original post by srmed
Was the two conditions for cracking: high temperature and hot catalyst

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LiamCollins
For the ethene and steam advantage, could you produce it produces pure ethanol where as fermentation doesn't which means less is required? Also can you say put a lid on the beaker? Finally, could I get away with saying l saturated oil rather than saturated fat for the final question?

Most definitely and I think so
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Most definitely and I think so

For which questions and thank you for the fast reply
Original post by LiamCollins
For which questions and thank you for the fast reply

haha it's ok and the lid one definitely I think. I'm not sure what you mean by 'needs less' though, less of what?
Original post by KazzyHart
Omdsss I think I did good looking at this but thank you so much this is really amazing!

I'm glad I could help
Original post by Marshall Taylor
Damnit I think I only got about 40!!! :angry: I need 50 in all units to get an A* overall (due to my crap ISA grade)

what's ur isa mark?
Original post by Francis197
I got an A in my ISA like 90 UMS How much A's/ A*'s do i need in the exam(s) for an A* overall ?? thnx

I think about 90 ums on each paper so low A*s
Reply 430
I doubt they would be so harsh as to only give 1 mark for 20.3g instead of 20.30g...
Original post by Friskaaaay
what's ur isa mark?

I think my teachers ****** up my ISA marks because i got 49/50 in my biology and 43/50 in my chemistry... That shouldnt be possible 😂
Original post by Friskaaaay
what's ur isa mark?

CCB (B in physics)
Hi has anyone got the unofficial mark scheme or have a link for the GCSE Edexcel chemistry C1 foundation?
Original post by Fadil.S
The First question is just protons +1 and neutrons 0

Wait, I said protons have a positive charge and neutrons have no charge will I still get the marks?
I diddnt do as badly as i thought!:biggrin:
I wrote Lid to prevent gasses escaping LOOOL such a fail
For all the people that wrote 20.3... The table had answers written in 2 decimal places, e.g. 24.74, 26.56 .... Therefore answer of the mean but be in two decimal places. This is why it was a 2 MARKER. The calculator showed 20.3 but you are meant to apply knowledge of the table and see that answer must have 2 decimal places. If anyone has proof from past papers I would like to see.

This is what my teacher said,(aqa examiner who received mark scheme at lunch) and I've also realised that yes this is true. (I made same mistake).
Original post by LogicalFallacy
That's the catalyst, yes, but I think you just needed to mention the presence of an aluminium oxide catalyst.

Actually the specification doesn't require you to know the catalyst so if you simply put Hot Catalyst according to the spec that would be ok.
Original post by dhruvap
I reckon i've got 54-55 with harsh marking. By the way 20.3 is a wrong answer! You are meant to place it in 2 decimal figures (from the graph) for 2 marks. So in reality the answer is 20.30 not 20.3. How do I know this? 1) It was a 2 marker. 2) Our teacher is an AQA part time examiner and that is what he told us.

no lol, it was a 2 marker yh, 1 mark for the working out and 1 mark for the answer and the answer was 20.3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending