The Student Room Group

AQA AS English Literature (Shakespeare and Poetry) - 20th May 2016

Hi everyone!

I couldn't find a recent thread regarding the AQA Shakespeare and Poetry exam on Friday.

How is everyone's revision going for this exam? What Shakespeare play and anthology (pre-1900 or post-1900) is everyone doing?

The thread will be kept open for discussion after the exam too :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

I find it quite difficult to revise for English last minute, what works for me is just reading the texts over a couple of times and making up exam questions that I then answer. I am quite scared for this exam though, I feel like 90 is nowhere near enough time for this :/
I'm studying Othello and pre-1900 literature, what about you? What kind of questions would you hope to come up?
I'm also doing Othello and pre-1900 :smile:

To be honest I love all of the poems, but if Garden of Love, Sonnet 116 or Who so List to Hunt came up I would be especially pleased. For Othello, I'm hoping it'll be something on Desdemona and not one of the secondary characters. I'm having a nightmare trying to learn quotes!!
Reply 3
Original post by Paulina_17
Hi,

I find it quite difficult to revise for English last minute, what works for me is just reading the texts over a couple of times and making up exam questions that I then answer. I am quite scared for this exam though, I feel like 90 is nowhere near enough time for this :/

I'm studying Othello and pre-1900 literature, what about you? What kind of questions would you hope to come up?

Hey, I'm also doing Othello and pre-1900 Poetry, like you are.

I agree with you on the time limit, I think for the content we have to answer, it's hard to complete it in such a time limit which the exam has (especially for a slow writer like me).

I'm hoping the Othello question which comes up is to do with Desdemona and Othello because there has been big emphasis of this throughout the lessons which are being taught (with it being related to love) and I find it better to compare Othello's love for Desdemona rather than Othello's love for Iago or other characters.

For poetry, I am really hoping Garden of Love doesn't come up :s-smilie:, I can't find anything to talk about in relation to love in that poem.

What about you?
I'm doing Rossetti and Hamlet and I am finding it so difficult to study for it, and I'm so scared I won't get the grade I want because of assessment objectives, crying and dying hahaha
Reply 5
Original post by socialdisaster

To be honest I love all of the poems, but if Garden of Love, Sonnet 116 or Who so List to Hunt came up I would be especially pleased. For Othello, I'm hoping it'll be something on Desdemona and not one of the secondary characters. I'm having a nightmare trying to learn quotes!!

I agree with you for both, except that I struggle with the Garden of Love haha, that poem was rushed so I struggle to find aspects of love.

Desemona and Othello is fairly easy to analyse, in comparison to other characters like Iago because there's much more emphasis, I have found, on Desdemona and Othello in the play.

I wrote down as many quotes as I could down, plus my teacher tests us all on key quotes at the start of every lesson - but I understand what you mean about learning quotes, it''s really hard to learn quotes over a play with 5 acts!!!!
Original post by socialdisaster

Hm I wouldn't mind any of the poems except for La Belle Dame and Num Sum Qualis (I'm just not a fan of them ahah) but I do have a feeling that they might use Remember by Rosetti since it seems like an interesting concept to talk about how she's the only woman and there are quite a few links I think but that's just my guess.
If you're having difficulty learning quotes, pick the 3/4 most important ones for each character or theme depending on how you've been learning them. We get the extract which is the main focus so I think we aren't expected to know like 80 different quotes just like that (would be a bit crazy I think) :smile:
Hopefully they will go easy on us this year though!
Original post by electric33
I agree with you for both, except that I struggle with the Garden of Love haha, that poem was rushed so I struggle to find aspects of love.

Desemona and Othello is fairly easy to analyse, in comparison to other characters like Iago because there's much more emphasis, I have found, on Desdemona and Othello in the play.

I wrote down as many quotes as I could down, plus my teacher tests us all on key quotes at the start of every lesson - but I understand what you mean about learning quotes, it''s really hard to learn quotes over a play with 5 acts!!!!

Yeah I know what you mean, I don't have a lot on the Garden of Love and all I could come up with is the idea of freedom to love whoever you want and how universal it is - but main link to Sonnet 116 (there's not a lot on it :/ )

I kind of want a question on the women's attitude to love, I think it would be quite a good question but they might just give us something easier. It's so hard to learn so many quotes! I mean as long as maybe they'd give us more time to study the texts and more time in the exam it would be okay, but it just seems unfair for all of us - doesn't show our real writing abilities which sucks.
Reply 8
Hi I am also doing pre 1900 poetry and othello, any ideas what poem may be asked so hard to have any presumptions with it being the first year
Reply 9
I'm also doing Othello and pre-1900 poetry! I'm especially nervous for the poetry, I hate The Scrutiny and The Flea so I hope that they don't come up, but Non Sum/Whoso List would be P E R F E C T !!!
As for Othello, I doubt that the question will be on Desdemona because it's one of the specimen paper questions (I think it is, correct me if I'm wrong! We did it as our mock in January). I hope that it'll be on Iago because I think he's such an interesting character, he's in control and scheming and insanely intelligent, whereas Othello is a bit boring and allows his jealousy to blind him 😬
What are you guys thinking about keeping/dropping English next year?

I find that contextually there's a lot that can be said on Garden of Love, with the idea of original sin, land enclosure, etc. and as long as you can link it to religion you can comment on how the church had restricted love to marriage, as Blake was an advocate of free live and hated the fact that organised religion had put so much emphasis on the importance of chastity.

We didn't spend much time learning quotes in class, and our teacher didn't actually cover one of the scenes so I'm totally lost when it comes to the middle section of the play :s-smilie: I'm a little confused on how you're supposed to link it to typicality of a tragedy as well, since whenever I've tried it it's sounded really forced.

Hm I wouldn't mind any of the poems except for La Belle Dame and Num Sum Qualis (I'm just not a fan of them ahah) but I do have a feeling that they might use Remember by Rosetti since it seems like an interesting concept to talk about how she's the only woman and there are quite a few links I think but that's just my guess.
If you're having difficulty learning quotes, pick the 3/4 most important ones for each character or theme depending on how you've been learning them. We get the extract which is the main focus so I think we aren't expected to know like 80 different quotes just like that (would be a bit crazy I think) :smile:
Hopefully they will go easy on us this year though!

I actually enjoyed La Belle Dame, although it was the first poem we did so I can't remember that much about it. Will have to revise it tonight I suppose :biggrin: I don't want Remember to come up because I struggle finding points to make, especially on structure and metre since that's what I'm most comfortable with writing about.

Thank you for the advice on quotes, I'll have to try that later! And you're right - the extract will take up most of the references to the play, so I guess we'll only really need quotes like fair warrior and fair devil :P

Original post by yellow_
I'm also doing Othello and pre-1900 poetry! I'm especially nervous for the poetry, I hate The Scrutiny and The Flea so I hope that they don't come up, but Non Sum/Whoso List would be P E R F E C T !!!
As for Othello, I doubt that the question will be on Desdemona because it's one of the specimen paper questions (I think it is, correct me if I'm wrong! We did it as our mock in January). I hope that it'll be on Iago because I think he's such an interesting character, he's in control and scheming and insanely intelligent, whereas Othello is a bit boring and allows his jealousy to blind him 😬

The Scrutiny's highly unlikely to come up because it was on the specimen paper. I hate it too! All of the cavalier poets are a little bit uncomfortable to write about in my opinion because they're so overtly sexual and they tend to objectify women.

I'm fairly sure you're right about Desdemona being on the specimen paper - it was something about hero worship if I remember correctly?? And yes, my teachers have mostly said that Iago is likely to come up for the same reasons.

I'm keeping English next year! Hoping to go on and study it at uni :smile:
hi does anyone have an idea how to link The Ruined Maid to aspects of love.. would be very helpful !!
Original post by anonymouslol
I'm doing Rossetti and Hamlet and I am finding it so difficult to study for it, and I'm so scared I won't get the grade I want because of assessment objectives, crying and dying hahaha

I am also doing Hamlet !!! Remember to learn critics quotes
Reply 13
Yeah I know what you mean, I don't have a lot on the Garden of Love and all I could come up with is the idea of freedom to love whoever you want and how universal it is - but main link to Sonnet 116 (there's not a lot on it :/ )

I kind of want a question on the women's attitude to love, I think it would be quite a good question but they might just give us something easier. It's so hard to learn so many quotes! I mean as long as maybe they'd give us more time to study the texts and more time in the exam it would be okay, but it just seems unfair for all of us - doesn't show our real writing abilities which sucks.

I agree with you! Women's attitudes to love is easy to argue for with context too, since there's quite a few marks in the exam for context :biggrin:

Speaking of which, have you revised the context for the poems?

I'm so glad there's someone who shares the same view with me about the Garden of Love. Also, in my college we didn't cover Non Sum Qualis and La Belle Dame properly alongside others because of time limits trying to rush through everything, I agree with you - when it comes to essay subjects (3 out of the 4 AS subjects including English is largely essay-based) I write neatly on the first page and then my writing becomes really (annoyingly and frustratingly) scruffy by the end page. I hope that doesn't happen because I actually want the examiners to read my work!
Reply 14
Original post by yellow_

That's true actually, I forgot that it was in the specimen paper, so yeah, I think you're right.

I think Whoso List and Non Sum are really good for comparisons in terms of aspects of love. But I'm stuck on context for Non Sum Qualis - what do you think would be good contextual points.

Yes, I am keeping English next year as at the minute, I'm getting As and Bs (got an A in the Shakespeare and Poetry mock), and it's my strongest subject :h:.
Reply 15
Original post by georgia1208
hi does anyone have an idea how to link The Ruined Maid to aspects of love.. would be very helpful !!

'Melia is a prostitute, which obviously means that 'Melia must have been romantically involved with other men as a prostitute. Because her love for that person has caused her to be "ruined" (as she was not a virgin anymore upon being a prostitute) and lose the status which she once had as a girl living in the country and gain the lowest of the lowest status, you could argue that love is presented a source of destruction for that individual (in this case 'Melia).

I hope this helps, and that's the only aspect of love I can think of really. I think The Ruined Maid is good in terms of context, but not in terms of aspect of love, I found it hard to think of comments in relation.
Hi! I'm also doing Othello and pre-1900 poetry

I think I'm confident on the poetry, and I'm hoping for Sonnet 116 or To His Coy Mistress.

I'm really dreading Othello though, as I barely know any quotes:frown:

LAST MINUTE REVISION PANIC!

I'm also a slow writer, which really doesn't help, I really hope Iago comes up.

Please be good to us AQA!
'Melia is a prostitute, which obviously means that 'Melia must have been romantically involved with other men as a prostitute. Because her love for that person has caused her to be "ruined" (as she was not a virgin anymore upon being a prostitute) and lose the status which she once had as a girl living in the country and gain the lowest of the lowest status, you could argue that love is presented a source of destruction for that individual (in this case 'Melia).

I hope this helps, and that's the only aspect of love I can think of really. I think The Ruined Maid is good in terms of context, but not in terms of aspect of love, I found it hard to think of comments in relation.

thank you so much! much appreciated :h:
Reply 18
Original post by georgia1208
thank you so much! much appreciated :h:

It's okay, glad I could help! :h:

I hope you do well in the exam! How are you feeling about it?
Original post by Natashja
I am also doing Hamlet !!! Remember to learn critics quotes

Do we have to learn critics' quotes for Shakespeare? Also do we have to add quotes from the play that is not in the extract?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending