The Student Room Group

C1 discussing asnwers

Can someone please check these and say whether they're correct :smile:

- 2 conditions I wrote High temperature and High pressure
- Iron ore question I wrote, contains enough iron to convert a good amount into steel so less fossil fuels are burnt during extraction
- Reasons why Hexane was the best, produced the least smoke and released the most energy when burning 1g of it
- Energy released question I wrote 20.30 just incase they mark down for incorrect significant figures

Scroll to see replies

I think the first one is high temperature and catalyst, but you might be right. The second one is economically viable to extract, but you may be right. And the other two you are definitely right! Hope this quells your nerves.

Original post by Teenw123

- Iron ore question I wrote, contains enough iron to convert a good amount into steel so less fossil fuels are burnt during extraction
- Reasons why Hexane was the best, produced the least smoke and released the most energy when burning 1g of it
- Energy released question I wrote 20.30 just incase they mark down for incorrect significant figures
Reply 2

1 - 2 conditions I wrote High temperature (correct) and High pressure (not sure about this one, will have to check with someone else).
2 - Iron ore question I wrote, contains enough iron to convert a good amount into steel so less fossil fuels are burnt during extraction (not sure about this one as I think it should've been enough iron to make it economical (cost effective) to extract.
3 - Reasons why Hexane was the best, produced the least smoke and released the most energy when burning 1g of it (correct)
4 - Energy released question I wrote 20.30 (correct as it's the same - 20.3(0) just incase they mark down for incorrect significant figures

Hope that helps. ^
Original post by _Xenon_
Hope that helps. ^

Original post by 1jonam16
I think the first one is high temperature and catalyst, but you might be right. The second one is economically viable to extract, but you may be right. And the other two you are definitely right! Hope this quells your nerves.

Hi, for the one about conditions of cracking I put:

1) High temps
2) Mixed with steam

Because in the spec it does say:
This process involves heating the hydrocarbons to vaporise them. The vapours are either passed over a hot catalyst or mixed with steam and heated to a very high temperature so that thermal decomposition reactions then occur.

I'm really unsure if I'll get the mark or not...
Original post by romansholiday

1) High temps
2) Mixed with steam

This process involves heating the hydrocarbons to vaporise them. The vapours are either passed over a hot catalyst or mixed with steam and heated to a very high temperature so that thermal decomposition reactions then occur.

What was the exact question?

1) High temps
2) Mixed with steam

Because for cracking you don't involve steam, do you mean hydration of ethene instead, in which case you should get 1 mark, since a catalyst is used too. But dw it will be fine :smile:
What was the exact question?

It was something like:

What are two conditions involved in cracking alkanes? [2] (something along those lines)

This mark is annoying me, but I know I got at least 1 out of 2.
Reply 7
It was something like:

What are two conditions involved in cracking alkanes? [2] (something along those lines)

This mark is annoying me, but I know I got at least 1 out of 2.

I'm pretty sure its high temperature and pressure because I found this online
"Cracking is the name given to breaking up large hydrocarbon molecules into smaller and more useful bits. This is achieved by using high pressures and temperatures without a catalyst, or lower temperatures and pressures in the presence of a catalyst."
Reply 8
Original post by _Xenon_
Hope that helps. ^

(Sorry for jumping on the thread!)

Are you saying you think 20.30 is right? Because I put 20.30 but I wasn't sure! I was trying to keep it in line with the other significant figures :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by CaptErin

Are you saying you think 20.30 is right? Because I put 20.30 but I wasn't sure! I was trying to keep it in line with the other significant figures :smile:

If the answer was 20.3 and you wrote 20.30 then that's correct, yes.
It's exactly the same unless you wrote something like 20.03 which would be wrong. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by _Xenon_
Hope that helps. ^

Thanks that helped
Reply 11
Original post by _Xenon_
It's exactly the same unless you wrote something like 20.03 which would be wrong. :smile:

It's because on most mark schemes you get marked down if your answer isn't to the same number of figures as the question so I wrote 20.30 to cover my back
Original post by _Xenon_

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by CaptErin

I'm pretty sure you needed 20.30 to gain full marks because the other answers were to 4 significant figures
I'm pretty sure you needed 20.30 to gain full marks because the other answers were to 4 significant figures

It literally makes no difference
For the changing apparatus question, I wrote use a Bunsen burner so it can reach higher temperatures. Is that correct?
Reply 16
It literally makes no difference

Believe me it does, ask your teachers
Reply 17
Original post by studentshavefun
For the changing apparatus question, I wrote use a Bunsen burner so it can reach higher temperatures. Is that correct?

I think so, but I wrote have a lid so less heat is lost to the surroundings
Original post by studentshavefun

I'm not sure, I wrote use a digital thermometer to take a more accurate reading, also to the other question about high pressure, it is correct for cracking.
Believe me it does, ask your teachers

If you normally do it to 3 s.f. it's fine, but in this case the answer was perfectly 20.3. Therefore, they won't knock off a mark. There\s no need to worry for everything

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending