The Student Room Group

Which college would you recommend

Which college would you recommend for someone hoping to take Computer Science and is:

A high school student
A Christian (Evangelical)
Likes music (indie/rock/pop)
Plays guitar & drums
Likes gaming
Not a morning person
Not a party person either but likes the occasional cider

Thinking about Churchill but would there be too many CS applicants. Would Fitzwilliam, Selwyn or St Johns be good alternatives.

Thanks
Original post by nutz99
Which college would you recommend for someone hoping to take Computer Science and is:

A high school student
Plays guitar & drums
Likes gaming
Not a morning person

Thinking about Churchill but would there be too many CS applicants. Would Fitzwilliam, Selwyn or St Johns be good alternatives.

Thanks

I wouldn't be too put off by the huge number of applicants to Churchill, if you are good enough for the university as a whole you will be pooled to another college if Churchill has too many applicants (which is what happened to me!) Are you planning on doing straight CS, CS with Maths, or CS with something else? Do you have any preference between old colleges and new ones, big ones and small ones, and central ones and far-away ones? The colleges you mention seem a bit random (they're all quite different), but there's nothing wrong with them, and nothing wrong with applying to a college simply because you have a vague good feeling about them.
Reply 2
Original post by nutz99

A high school student
Plays guitar & drums
Likes gaming
Not a morning person

Thanks

Many colleges have a drum kit. Churchill, Selwyn and Fitz do (afaik). Not sure about John's.
Original post by nutz99

A high school student
Plays guitar & drums
Likes gaming
Not a morning person

Thanks

Any college will be good for your criteria. Not much difference at all in those kind of things. Honestly. :wink:
Reply 4
Original post by sweeneyrod
I wouldn't be too put off by the huge number of applicants to Churchill, if you are good enough for the university as a whole you will be pooled to another college if Churchill has too many applicants (which is what happened to me!) Are you planning on doing straight CS, CS with Maths, or CS with something else? Do you have any preference between old colleges and new ones, big ones and small ones, and central ones and far-away ones? The colleges you mention seem a bit random (they're all quite different), but there's nothing wrong with them, and nothing wrong with applying to a college simply because you have a vague good feeling about them.
Preference is for newer colleges really but I put St Johns in as it just sounds like it has a nice relaxed atmosphere. Don't really want to go anywhere that is too formal and because of the distance don't want Homerton either.

It'll be straight CS so ideally as close as possible to the Computer Lab.

I'll be up there for the open day next month so I suppose I can get a feel for them all then.
Original post by nutz99
Preference is for newer colleges really but I put St Johns in as it just sounds like it has a nice relaxed atmosphere. Don't really want to go anywhere that is too formal and because of the distance don't want Homerton either.

I'll be up there for the open day next month so I suppose I can get a feel for them all then.

As you probably know, Fitzwilliam and Churchill are both new colleges that are near to the Computer Laboratory (as is Murray Edwards, if you have the correct gender for it). The other particularly new college is Robinson, which is also fairly near. The next nearest colleges are probably John's, Magdalene, and Trinity, but there isn't much of a difference in distance between the central colleges. Girton is far away from the centre, but not actually too far from the Computer Laboratory.
Original post by nutz99

John's is pretty formal/traditional...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending