The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS History Route F: In search of the American Dream: The USA, 1917-96

Hey everyone,

How's everyone feeling for today's exam?

I'm pretty worried and don't feel like I know enough content to cover the whole spec.

Does anyone have any good revision sources or tips?

Good luck!

Scroll to see replies

How did you find the exam?
I do this spec but my college didn't enter us for this paper.

How was it?

Also, are you doing the India unit too?
Hey it wasn't too bad, But I don't think I've got the grade that I wanted because our school is going to use it for our a2 predicted grades at the start of the year and we will use this for our UCAS applications, so I'm a bit worried. We're doing USA 1917 - 1996 and South Africa 1948 - 1994.

How's India? It looked quite interesting in the book when I read a few pages.
Reply 4
Guys I'm feeling so worried about section C (Reagan question) someone please point out some good points that should of been mentioned so I can rest my nerves.

And did anyone choose the Communist question on section B?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Cheers for the reply. In terms of paragraphing I did exactly that, make a point and quote an extract then insert my own knowledge for judgement on its validity. However my conclusion on the other hand didn't go into such depth though I did choose to go against extract 2. I never had time to elaborate as to why exactly but the short concludion did sum up my opinion. I hope I scraped an A, I was feeling a lot of pressure because I expected broader questions e.g the New Deal or age of affluence. Anyway thanks, last question could you give me any tips on source questions for India? I didn't do so well on them in the mocks. Thanks again.
Reply 6
Original post by Reaver Daniels
India is really interesting! Which questions did you answer on the paper? I answered:

'how far would you agree that the main reason for the improvement in the lives of blacks in America from 1955-80 was a result of federal legislation?' I think I got a max of 16/20 maybe only 15/20 though.

And

'How far do you agree that the lives of women improved from 1917-80?' I think I would have got max 17/20 on this, but maybe 16/20.

And the reagan one I think I just scraped 16/20... not sure though.

What do you think the grade boundaries will be? My teacher thought around 16 would be an A, but obviously they don't know. 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey buddy,
what was the Reagan question on this paper?
Original post by cdog123
Hey buddy,

It gave us the two extracts, and asked (sorry I can't remember if this is the exact wording) - How far do you agree that Reagan's economic policies damaged the US economy?
Reply 8
Original post by SpartanSK117
It gave us the two extracts, and asked (sorry I can't remember if this is the exact wording) - How far do you agree that Reagan's economic policies damaged the US economy?

Thanks pal
Reply 9
Sure. I can only tell you what my school thinks though, I wouldn't like to speculate any further, as I don't know.

For the 8 marker we were told to only talk about why the source is valuable. Don't explore limitations unless they add to the value for an historian's investigation. Quote extract and explore providence of the source to show its value.

For the 12 marker we were told to go through the extract exploring why the source is right or valuable and then why it isn't. You should evaluate the providence for 12 markers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers for the help mate, i'll just have to try dominate India.
Original post by Pdotlz
Cheers for the help mate, i'll just have to try dominate India.

Some additional help with the 12 marker and 8 marker.

One of my history teachers gave us a structure called Q-CLIP.

Q = Quote
C= contextual or own knowledge
L= Link and relate back to the question
I = Inference or what the source is telling us and how that helps to answer the question.
P = Point

The order isn't great but the mnemonic is easy to remember. I usually do Point, Quote, Inference, contextual knowledge (very important for the value question) and finally link.
Reply 11
Some additional help with the 12 marker and 8 marker.

One of my history teachers gave us a structure called Q-CLIP.

Q = Quote
C= contextual or own knowledge
L= Link and relate back to the question
I = Inference or what the source is telling us and how that helps to answer the question.
P = Point

The order isn't great but the mnemonic is easy to remember. I usually do Point, Quote, Inference, contextual knowledge (very important for the value question) and finally link.

Thank you 😊
Reply 12
Cheers. Doing the South Africa one as well. How's your revision for SA going? Totally struggling now.
Hey it wasn't too bad, But I don't think I've got the grade that I wanted because our school is going to use it for our a2 predicted grades at the start of the year and we will use this for our UCAS applications, so I'm a bit worried. We're doing USA 1917 - 1996 and South Africa 1948 - 1994.

How's India? It looked quite interesting in the book when I read a few pages.
Reply 13
Original post by cdog123
Hey buddy,

What did you write for the blacks federal legislation question?
Reply 14
Original post by cdog123
What did you write for the blacks federal legislation question?

I wrote four body paragraphs: federal legislation, direct action, role of Martin Luther King and media
Reply 15
Original post by lulu_ljx
I wrote four body paragraphs: federal legislation, direct action, role of Martin Luther King and media

excellent, i was thinking that!
Cheers. Doing the South Africa one as well. How's your revision for SA going? Totally struggling now.

Mines going horribly, I feel that I've left it too late because I have sociology paper 2 tomorrow and I have to revise for that. We did have one lesson last week revising it and I've found that a good way to revise is to look at the major events of each decade, then see what questions you can create from that.
I said that the reason they had some rallies and stuff like Birmingham and Greensboro was because they were trying to provoke federal legislation so put it under one category, would that be incorrect ?
Reply 18

What type of legislation?
How did everyone find it? I think it went very well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was really nice, did you do India or South Africa?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending