The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I get where you're coming from, I'd just much rather it be £1000 or £3000 like it used to be.
I love how brutally honest you are. I agree with you.
Lmao so true
Original post by The gains kinggg
Tuition fees are the fairest way.

Why should i have to subsidise someone else's ****ty liberal arts degree from some unknown polytechnic?

And why do students feel as thought they are soo entitled?

Blah blah blah give me some free **** that other people have to pay for.

:colonhash: let's break this down.

The emboldened point proves that you shouldn't be speaking on behalf of people, as you clearly lack respect for them. Students don't think they're entitled. In 2003, for me to go to University I would have finished with a £20,000 debt. Now, in 2021 when I finish university I'll have a debt of ~£48,000. That is the problem. I have no issue paying for my degree. I have issue with the extortionate and unacceptable cost of the degree.

Oh, and it's a languages degree. It might not be STEM and I'm OK with that. I adore languages. It makes me no better or worse than you.
(edited 7 years ago)

Why should i have to subsidise someone else's ****ty liberal arts degree from some unknown polytechnic?

Polytechnics don't offer liberal arts degrees.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iEthan
:colonhash: let's break this down.

The emboldened point proves that you shouldn't be speaking on behalf of people, as you clearly lack respect for them. Students don't think they're entitled. In 2003, for me to go to University I would have finished with a £20,000 debt. Now, in 2021 when I finish university I'll have a debt of ~£48,000. That is the problem. I have no issue paying for my degree. I have issue with the extortionate and unacceptable cost of the degree.

Oh, and it's a languages degree. It might not be STEM and I'm OK with that. I adore languages. It makes me no better or worse than you.

So?

Don't go... No one is forcing you.
So?

Don't go... No one is forcing you.

That is not a solution.
Original post by iEthan
That is not a solution.

It is, If someone wants/needs a degree enough they will pay for it- It will pay dividends in the future anyway.
can someone justify the £9000 a year fee? What is it spent on other than teachers salaries?!?! It's too expensive especially if you live away from home imo.
Original post by not_lucas1
can someone justify the £9000 a year fee? What is it spent on other than teachers salaries?!?! It's too expensive especially if you live away from home imo.

lecturers*
It is, If someone wants/needs a degree enough they will pay for it- It will pay dividends in the future anyway.

What if they can't pay or it? How is it moral that in one of the wealthiest countries in the world we have people who want to better themselves trapped in relative poverty because they can't afford a degree?
Original post by samesea
What if they can't pay or it? How is it moral that in one of the wealthiest countries in the world we have people who want to better themselves trapped in relative poverty because they can't afford a degree?

not my problem, in fact i couldn't give less of a ****

You already pay for it. You pay more than you would if they were lower.

Loans only get paid back if they own over 21k

Guess who earns over 21k? No liberal arts degrees from an unknown polytechnic.
Who are you to judge what degrees are worth completing though? You may find them unnecessary or irrelevant maybe, but that's far from what the people who do these courses feel. Believe it or not people aren't taking degrees because they're fun.

The country can afford to pay for every English, Welsh and Northern Irish students' university fees. I can't see how someone on The Student Room of all places would disagree that education is a right for all, regardless of background or how much your family earns.
lecturers*

You could have answered the question as well you nob
Reply 17

Unfortunately the person which gets the shitty degree will never pay back if he does not earn enough, so it like before i.e the taxpayer does
Original post by samesea
Who are you to judge what degrees are worth completing though? You may find them unnecessary or irrelevant maybe, but that's far from what the people who do these courses feel. Believe it or not people aren't taking degrees because they're fun.

The country can afford to pay for every English, Welsh and Northern Irish students' university fees. I can't see how someone on The Student Room of all places would disagree that education is a right for all, regardless of background or how much your family earns.

I didn't make the thread. I pointed out the under current system the government uses more of his money to fund them, if they were cheaper they'd use less.

A lot of degrees are unlikely to significantly improve salary alone, if you're taking a degree for money reasons and you do something that has little monetary value that's a bad decision. If you're doing a degree to get into a profession (eg teaching) that's great, you need it, the skills are important.

I don't think higher education is a right for all, I don't think university education even teaches you very much.
Original post by samesea

Relative poverty..?

Not being able to afford a degree is not poverty or even relative poverty.

Latest

Trending

Trending