The Student Room Group

Question to a level students?

I'm currently in year 11 and got an offer to do sixth form at school.
I chosen to do History,English lit and psychology, they are all essay based subjects of course and I been told psychology is essays after essays. I don't want to struggle, I'm thinking to drop one of these subject to media studies. However I didnt take it for GCSE,so it would be a huge jump for me as well. What about philosophy and ethics?

I want to go to uni to study criminology or do something in courts such as law so need opinions??
Original post by bikiniikilll
I chosen to do History,English lit and psychology, they are all essay based subjects of course and I been told psychology is essays after essays. I don't want to struggle, I'm thinking to drop one of these subject to media studies. However I didnt take it for GCSE,so it would be a huge jump for me as well. What about philosophy and ethics?

I want to go to uni to study criminology or do something in courts such as law so need opinions??

If Psychology is essay after essay I dread to think what Lit would be :')

All subjects that weren't compulsory at GCSE are taught from scratch as if no-one knows anything - the same for Psychology, which I do take. It is hard but interesting and I genuinely love it. All my subjects are essay subjects - Film and Sociology.

Take which subjects you're going to enjoy - if you enjoy them you're far more likely to do well. Also look at future plans - does your uni course (assuming you're going) have any required subjects? Psychology is also classed as a science by some unis so may be helpful.

Best of luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by bikiniikilll

I do history (dropped after AS), english lit, rs and sociology and i applied for Law.
You'll be fine. Don't worry about not having done a subject at gcse, majority of the others wouldnt have any experience with the subject either - so go for whatever you enjoy, it'll make things easier. Good luck
i think u should do further maths and not do maths
Original post by jonnypdot
i think u should do further maths and not do maths

Omg whaatttt., I hate maths soo much! i probably will have to retake it next year and trust me i'm putting the work in.
Reply 5
The best thing to do is to take history, and to chose between psychology or english. This is due to history giving a wider selection of courses. Furthermore I would suggest taking a more fun or easy subject along with the two you chose. As universitys predominantly only want to see two hard subjects and will allow an easy one. This will give you less stress overall. From a year 13 student offered law from Birmingham, shehfield and lecister uni and aswell criminology at Nottingham uni. Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest