The Student Room Group

WJEC PY2 Legacy Exam 23rd May

Hi guys,

Is anyone resitting PY2? I feel a little alone on here as I haven't seen any other threads pop up!

If so: how are you revising? I'm really struggling (like last year) to make the studies stick - do you have any advice?

Thanks 😊

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by charthec
Hi guys,

Is anyone resitting PY2? I feel a little alone on here as I haven't seen any other threads pop up!

If so: how are you revising? I'm really struggling (like last year) to make the studies stick - do you have any advice?

Thanks 😊

I'm taking the same exam, and I'm incredibly unprepared lol. Do you reckon they have to ask any of the questions which have never come up? (because this is the last ever PY2 of this specification)
Reply 2
Original post by johnd45
I'm taking the same exam, and I'm incredibly unprepared lol. Do you reckon they have to ask any of the questions which have never come up? (because this is the last ever PY2 of this specification)

I have absolutely no idea. The teacher that is supporting me with it has never taught it (the teachers who taught me the material last year have left) so she doesn't have a clue about this exam. She seems very fixated on Section C, telling me I'll be "ridiculously prepared" for the whole exam because I know PY3 so well, but I don't think she knows how little weighting Sec C has in the actual exam. I'll still ask her your question though - she may know something.

As for the underpreparedness: I'm exactly the same. Remembering all of the information is so difficult! I'm at a distinct advantage this year (as opposed to last year) as I have the Flanagan AS textbook (which is fab and condenses everything down) and I'm armed with a plethora of examiner's reports (do you know how picky WJEC are?) so fingers crossed they will add something to my knowledge.

How are you revising?
Reply 3
I have absolutely no idea. The teacher that is supporting me with it has never taught it (the teachers who taught me the material last year have left) so she doesn't have a clue about this exam. She seems very fixated on Section C, telling me I'll be "ridiculously prepared" for the whole exam because I know PY3 so well, but I don't think she knows how little weighting Sec C has in the actual exam. I'll still ask her your question though - she may know something.

As for the underpreparedness: I'm exactly the same. Remembering all of the information is so difficult! I'm at a distinct advantage this year (as opposed to last year) as I have the Flanagan AS textbook (which is fab and condenses everything down) and I'm armed with a plethora of examiner's reports (do you know how picky WJEC are?) so fingers crossed they will add something to my knowledge.

How are you revising?

Ah thank you very much.
And I'm pretty much trying to memorise model answers I've written out.
I think I agree with trying to concentrate with Section C; I think as long as you learn 8 of the methodologies (excluding the 2 which came up in the summer '15 exam, that's a guaranteed 24 marks).
Wjec seems to have received a lot of criticism over their marking, because over a number of years, a lot of students who claimed to have worked exceptionally hard for the psychology exams has ended up with C or D grades.
Ps. I think your methods are very effective!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4

How are you revising?

I feel so lonely looking at the scarcity of threads relating to this exam haha. Looks like we're the only ones :/
Reply 5
Original post by johnd45
Ah thank you very much.
And I'm pretty much trying to memorise model answers I've written out.
I think I agree with trying to concentrate with Section C; I think as long as you learn 8 of the methodologies (excluding the 2 which came up in the summer '15 exam, that's a guaranteed 24 marks).
Wjec seems to have received a lot of criticism over their marking, because over a number of years, a lot of students who claimed to have worked exceptionally hard for the psychology exams has ended up with C or D grades.
Ps. I think your methods are very effective!

WJEC absolutely HATE cloned answers. Don't do it, please! It's where we all fell down last year as that is what our teachers told us to do.

Seriously, read the examiner's reports. They hate formulaic answers, cloned answers and a lack of varied information (though that is more a jibe at PY4). The best thing to do is memorise the info and write the essay fresh in the exam so that it flows. They like shorter, more concise answers that don't lack detail.

Also I'm not concentrating on section C? It's research methods so is very similar to PY3. I think you mean section B which contains the methodologies 😊

I know, it's a shame that there aren't others.
Reply 6
WJEC absolutely HATE cloned answers. Don't do it, please! It's where we all fell down last year as that is what our teachers told us to do.

Seriously, read the examiner's reports. They hate formulaic answers, cloned answers and a lack of varied information (though that is more a jibe at PY4). The best thing to do is memorise the info and write the essay fresh in the exam so that it flows. They like shorter, more concise answers that don't lack detail.

Also I'm not concentrating on section C? It's research methods so is very similar to PY3. I think you mean section B which contains the methodologies 😊

I know, it's a shame that there aren't others.

I think I'm still going to stick with my model answers becaue it took forever to write them.
And my bad, Section C does seem easy but I hate how we have to relate it back to the scenario :P
Reply 7
Original post by johnd45
I think I'm still going to stick with my model answers becaue it took forever to write them.
And my bad, Section C does seem easy but I hate how we have to relate it back to the scenario :P

Do whatever works best for you!

Yeah it's a pain, but an easy mark if you remember to do it.
Reply 8
Do whatever works best for you!

Yeah it's a pain, but an easy mark if you remember to do it.

Yeah, and the question layout is always the same in Section C which is quite nice. What grade do you need to get on this unit or for Psychology in general?
Reply 9
Original post by johnd45
Yeah, and the question layout is always the same in Section C which is quite nice. What grade do you need to get on this unit or for Psychology in general?

Hopefully a B overall. An A would be lovely but it's not a practical aim.

What about you?
Hopefully a B overall. An A would be lovely but it's not a practical aim.

What about you?

Exactly the same as you haha. What are you planning to study at uni?
Hi guys,

Thanks 😊

Hey I'm retaking and I'm just condensing all my notes kinda like essay plans on A3 and going through questions I find hard.
Reply 12
Original post by johnd45
Exactly the same as you haha. What are you planning to study at uni?

Psychology, ironically! You?
Reply 13
Original post by tshiiy17
Hey I'm retaking and I'm just condensing all my notes kinda like essay plans on A3 and going through questions I find hard.

Yay another person! Hello!

That sounds like a great plan :smile:
Psychology, ironically! You?

Business & Management
Reply 15
Original post by johnd45
Business & Management

Sounds fun - good luck! :smile:
Hi sorry to talk about Py4 on your py2 thread it was the only wjec one i could find :smile: i was wondering if you or anyone else have done levels of consciousness for py4 and have model answers. I really don't enjoy the 5 qs in this topic :/ any help would seriously be great... thanks! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sounds fun - good luck! :smile:

Original post by Sexybadman
Hi sorry to talk about Py4 on your py2 thread it was the only wjec one i could find :smile: i was wondering if you or anyone else have done levels of consciousness for py4 and have model answers. I really don't enjoy the 5 qs in this topic :/ any help would seriously be great... thanks! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would've loved to give you mine but I threw mine away because I did it last year :frown:
Reply 19
Original post by Sexybadman

Posted from TSR Mobile

WJEC threads are few and far between so you're absolutely welcome to talk about PY4 :smile:

I'm really sorry but we didn't do that topic, if you need anything for memory, forensic or abnormal however, I may be able to help you out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending