The Student Room Group
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website

Can we buy our own wireless router in the IQ Preston halls?

I just want to know because I know Uni internet has restrictions, I want to be able to play my games online and upload gameplay to youtube just as a hobby
Original post by Joshusky
I just want to know because I know Uni internet has restrictions, I want to be able to play my games online and upload gameplay to youtube just as a hobby

the question you are actually asking is " can we pay to have a landline installed "

are you sure the restrictions you are thinking of aren't for on -campus university owned equipment orthe 'guest' wifi on campus?

it is also pertinent to remember that internet services provided on an .ac.uk domain have to meet with JANet requirements ...
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website
Original post by zippyRN
the question you are actually asking is " can we pay to have a landline installed "

are you sure the restrictions you are thinking of aren't for on -campus university owned equipment orthe 'guest' wifi on campus?

it is also pertinent to remember that internet services provided on an .ac.uk domain have to meet with JANet requirements ...

Yes that's what I meant I just found it easier as people would probably know what I'm getting at, and don't the halls share the on-campus guest wifi?

Anyway would I be able to play games online and record them? I didn't understand whether it was a yes or no from your answer
Original post by Joshusky

Hi Joshusky,

As far as I am aware there are no restrictions for online gaming at UCLan. You can register your console on the university network and see the full guide on online gaming restrictions here.

Let me know if you have any other questions :smile:

Molly
Reply 4
Hi,

I lived in Eden halls last year (significantly less expensive than IQ), and had absolutely no issue playing online PC games. I was able to run GTA V online without any issues (apart from my processor), so I would assume that it would be the same in IQ. There was also an Ethernet connection in my room, which I used as I built the computer myself and didn't install a WiFi card, so I'd guess that there's probably one in IQ as well. The speeds I got were better in halls than I get here at home so I don't think you'll have any issues.

Hope this helped,

Stuart

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending