The Student Room Group

Holiday by myself

So I have found myself in the unfortunate situation of going on a holiday by myself or not going at all. I'm 17 so will that be an issue? Also I have no idea where to go? I defo want to go somewhere with a beach. Also is there anywhere, where a lot of young people go for holidays on there own??? Or am I just completly bonkers for even considering it?
Original post by ArsenalFan98
So I have found myself in the unfortunate situation of going on a holiday by myself or not going at all. I'm 17 so will that be an issue? Also I have no idea where to go? I defo want to go somewhere with a beach. Also is there anywhere, where a lot of young people go for holidays on there own??? Or am I just completly bonkers for even considering it?

Why you wanna go alone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I went to Moscow this year on my own and I'm only 19. Wasn't as bad as what me and everyone else thought it would be.

However, you may struggle a bit because you're underage travelling alone if you're thinking about leaving the country. From personal experience, my younger brother travelled to Latvia on his own to meet up with family friends and he got stopped a lot in the airports because he's only 16. When he returned, he got pulled over to an interview room and they had to call my dad to come and collect him after being interviewed about why my underage brother was travelling alone.

That's purely anecdotal and I'm sure you'd be fine but have a think and a research about where you want to go and if being 17 may be an issue in some places.
Reply 3
I'd say go for it, dont be afraid to do things on your own and to experience things alone (sometimes its better that way) maybe visit a local travel agent, or speak to them online so of them have online chats now. And maybe explain your situation and they will probably be able to give you the best advice going!

Thats my advice, but go for it, you only live once and you'll never know unless you try it out! x
you should make sure you're confident of all the things you need to know/organise

people sometimes go travelling alone but not generally beach type holidays but if you think you will enjoy yourself why not
Original post by smozsolution
I went to Moscow this year on my own and I'm only 19. Wasn't as bad as what me and everyone else thought it would be.

However, you may struggle a bit because you're underage travelling alone if you're thinking about leaving the country. From personal experience, my younger brother travelled to Latvia on his own to meet up with family friends and he got stopped a lot in the airports because he's only 16. When he returned, he got pulled over to an interview room and they had to call my dad to come and collect him after being interviewed about why my underage brother was travelling alone.

That's purely anecdotal and I'm sure you'd be fine but have a think and a research about where you want to go and if being 17 may be an issue in some places.

That couldn't have been cheap. How much were your flights/ hotel?
Reply 6
Try looking at STA travel- it's volunteering abroad but some are just like a holiday and some of them you can go on at 17 because my friends were going to do one to Thailand this year and they're 16
There are specific single traveller holidays, and not in a dating way, so why don't you look for those agencies? They take groups of single travellers to locations so you could make friends from them too.

It may not be what you're looking for of course but thought it'd be good to mention. If you're going to a beachy place with lots of young people then you of course will also have a bigger pool to meet people. Bear in mind when you look you need to base it on single occupancy which can be higher than two sharing.

Above all, try to be safe as travelling alone it's only you looking out for yourself!
(edited 7 years ago)
All together I spent £260 on flights and a hotel for four nights. Was cheaper than what I thought it would be!
Original post by smozsolution
All together I spent £260 on flights and a hotel for four nights. Was cheaper than what I thought it would be!

I went in 2014 in the short time easyJet flew out there. Flew for about £65 return. They've since realised it's not a place that appeals to the "low-cost" market..

I also went alone ftr. I do most of my travelling alone.
Original post by rockrunride
I went in 2014 in the short time easyJet flew out there. Flew for about £65 return. They've since realised it's not a place that appeals to the "low-cost" market..

I also went alone ftr. I do most of my travelling alone.

My flights were £150 return with KLM with a stopover in Amsterdam which wasn't too bad cause I enjoy flying with KLM. Haha that doesn't surprise me.

Yeah I'm doing a lot of my travelling alone now. Still go with friends and family but I find alone to be far much more of an experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending