The Student Room Group

What laws do the Brexiteers want to change?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Plagioclase
Of course we can, unless you think British people posses some kind of intelligence that the rest of the world doesn't. Which, given the state of British politics, I find very hard to believe.

Currently the definition of British people includes the rest of the world. This is something we'll be able to work on changing once out of the EU.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MrControversial
Currently the definition of British people includes the rest of the world. This is something we'll be able to work on changing once out of the EU.

Are you on drugs?

I am running out of reasons for as to why you might say these incredible things.
I ain't paying these bills...

*See what I did there -_-*
Original post by inhuman
What the actual ****?

And rather pathetic that you would link to an article that says Germany benefits from the EURO when we are talking about the EU here. Makes you look like you can't even tell the difference between the EU and the Euro. Which makes you look completely ignorant.

Or that when it comes to Brexit its ok to simply state "we are a net payer so we must leave" but when it comes to Germany, they are a bigger net payer, they paid most in the bailouts, but that's not ok to just say, you have to show a study that suggests they do actually still benefit. But such a study of the UK is irrelevant because "muh net payer, better leave".

You know the main reason one should vote Remain? It's because of people like you. So blatantly ignorant people.

Nazi Germany built germany a good industry sector, there is no doubt about it-volkswagon the car company was a creation of nazi germany. In terms of Germany they benefit because they are muvh bigger on exports then we are-they are more like a Japan then any other EU country. I have never suggested financially thst we are better off outside the EU. I am for brexit to stop immigrants coming to Britain.

What i will also add is in 2014 Germany exported 623 million to EU countries, to Englands 178 million. I do not believe for a second germany import more than 623 million from EU countries despite EU contributions germany are better off

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Intra-EU_trade_in_goods_-_recent_trends
Original post by Trumpo Trumpu
Nazi Germany built germany a good industry sector, there is no doubt about it-volkswagon the car company was a creation of nazi germany. In terms of Germany they benefit because they are muvh bigger on exports then we are-they are more like a Japan then any other EU country. I have never suggested financially thst we are better off outside the EU. I am for brexit to stop immigrants coming to Britain.

What i will also add is in 2014 Germany exported 623 million to EU countries, to Englands 178 million. I do not believe for a second germany import more than 623 million from EU countries despite EU contributions germany are better off

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Intra-EU_trade_in_goods_-_recent_trends

How does the EU stop Britain from doing any of this?
Original post by Louise12307
By my understanding, they really want this "British Bill of Rights" which would entrench our already human rights from the HRA (1998). They don't like the fact that Parliament has in effect delegated some power to the EU in this respect. However I don't personally see what difference it's really going to make - seems pretty drastic.

Of course the other reason is the immigration bandwagon. Everyone banging on about how our country is being 'invaded' by migrants and acting like the nose of Cornwall is about to dip underwater. They want to leave the EU so that they have more control over who can travel into the UK. However my opinion on this is that we are NOT in a population crisis - despite what Nigel Farage blows out of proportion. Lebanon, yes. In terms of the refugee crisis? Absolutely not. We have barely taken any refugees and our current standing is that we will accept 20,000 over the course of five years - Germany did more than that in a week!

Also, let's not forget that our culture IS multicultural and the diversity we have brings fabulous variety. We are currently in an NHS crisis with not enough doctors etc, immigration massively helps with this and more! They bring business and jobs despite what the media tells you about the handful of odd jobbies!

Oh and another reason I don't understand why we would leave the EU.... Aren't importing and exporting costs way cheaper within the network of the EU? We are going to lose money from immigration jobs, have a blow to the purse for forking out on importing/exporting costs.... And who's going to pay for it? Not the rich that's for sure.

Why does everybody keep making this out to be a competition!?!?!

diversity in terms of culture is neither good or bad, if anything it's bad because it creates social tension though I'm not using that as an argument

skilled immigrants help with NHS crisis

you're kinda demonising places with little diversity and only one culture
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by inhuman
How does the EU stop Britain from doing any of this?

I never said it does. My argument for ,eaving the EU is
1. To cut immigration
2. Stop sending 33 million a day to brussels

But you could argue its state aid rules have damaged tge steel industry
I never said it does. My argument for ,eaving the EU is
1. To cut immigration
2. Stop sending 33 million a day to brussels

But you could argue its state aid rules have damaged tge steel industry

1. Ok. Do you think that that would not happen outside of the EU? Maybe the Tories would cut immigration, but if Labor came into power? What kind of immigration would you want? A points system a la Australia?

2. That's very naive. You would forgo all the benefits, just so that the headline figure disappears?
Original post by inhuman
1. Ok. Do you think that that would not happen outside of the EU? Maybe the Tories would cut immigration, but if Labor came into power? What kind of immigration would you want? A points system a la Australia?

2. That's very naive. You would forgo all the benefits, just so that the headline figure disappears?

I would be happy to stay in the EU if the wording was changed to free movement of people with the exception of the United Kingdom .

Would you be happy to pay the EU whatever they asked for? 33 million a day is excessive. If we leave we can still set up trade deals within the EU countries via the WTO. The far left was against the EU in the 70's

And what benefits?
I would be happy to stay in the EU if the wording was changed to free movement of people with the exception of the United Kingdom .

Well, I wouldn't. I like the free movement bit.

Would you be happy to pay the EU whatever they asked for? 33 million a day is excessive.

Is it? How so? Compared to what? Or is it just too big a number and scares you?

If we leave we can still set up trade deals within the EU countries via the WTO.

Which would be vastly inferior to what we currently have.

The far left was against the EU in the 70's

And...?

And what benefits?

Access to the Single Market, free movement of people, and solidarity in the face of Russian aggression.

Would you be happy to pay the EU whatever they asked for? 33 million a day is excessive. If we leave we can still set up trade deals within the EU countries via the WTO. The far left was against the EU in the 70's

And what benefits?

That goes against the European spirit. I suppose it's fair enough if you don't want to be a part of that. But it is to be seen what the majority of your country thinks.

I am German. We pay more than you. Germans do whine, too, about the EU. But we want to improve it rather than walk away.

That last part is just wtf. You actually believe the sole measure of the EU benefiting or costing England is net monetary payments?
Original post by gladders
Well, I wouldn't. I like the free movement bit.

Is it? How so? Compared to what? Or is it just too big a number and scares you?

Which would be vastly inferior to what we currently have.

And...?

Access to the Single Market, free movement of people, and solidarity in the face of Russian aggression.

Access to the single market fair enough, all that is , is a trade trade agreement with no tarrifs. Free movement of people is not a good idea at all. More people come to Britain then what leave-this causes greater strain on public utendils such as the NHS, lets say you budget for a population of 65,000,000 and net migration goes up by 2 million in a year, that will ultimately leed to poor services ir a massive budget deficit. Not to mention unskilled migrants from Europe who flood the bottom end of the income distribution who have no wage demands (will work below minimum wage a d will keep lips sealed). It also puts the housing prices up more demand for housing and a stagnant supply will cause house prices to go up. Also your forgetting refugees and ISIS members who followed refugees, staying in the EU you have the risk of ISIS members coming to Englamd and attacking us

33 million pound a day is a big figure, i believe it can be better spent, we should try and negotiate it down to at least half that figure, the EU will **** thrmselves at the prospect of losing us
Tighter immigration, people should only be let in if they have skills in a subject and can directly benefit our country instead of people who come and live off benefits. As for people escaping terror and wars in the middle east something should be done to help protect them and keep them safe but I'm not really sure what it would be....
Original post by inhuman
That goes against the European spirit. I suppose it's fair enough if you don't want to be a part of that. But it is to be seen what the majority of your country thinks.

I am German. We pay more than you. Germans do whine, too, about the EU. But we want to improve it rather than walk away.

That last part is just wtf. You actually believe the sole measure of the EU benefiting or costing England is net monetary payments?

How does the EU make my life better? Employent benefits can be written into uk law. What you do not realise is all of the cologne rapists, dorry i meang migrants, wil, be in England in 3-5 years time if we stay in the EU. Think of your contribution and ask yourself, can this be better spent. It benefits your country because your massive on exports, and if you are in the EU at a loss your dxports elsewhere more than cover it. Engkand in the 60's and 70's had masses of exports. If youre german i find it a bit odd you didnt kniw Volkswagen was a creation pf Nazi Germany. To conclude are you worried about Merkels's strange idea lf accepting refugees kn their droves , that could be isis members dressed up as refugees ?
Access to the single market fair enough, all that is , is a trade trade agreement with no tarrifs.

No, that is not all that the Single Market is. The Single Market is a system in which not only fiscal tariffs, but non-tariff barriers, are suppressed - the Commission works to ensure competition law is equitable, that trading standards are fair and common, and that manufacturing standards are even, so that a company selling British goods in France is not hamstrung by French laws unfairly promoting inferior French products by deliberately making British ones expensive or hard to come by.

Free movement of people is not a good idea at all. More people come to Britain then what leave-this causes greater strain on public utendils such as the NHS, lets say you budget for a population of 65,000,000 and net migration goes up by 2 million in a year, that will ultimately leed to poor services ir a massive budget deficit. Not to mention unskilled migrants from Europe who flood the bottom end of the income distribution who have no wage demands (will work below minimum wage a d will keep lips sealed). It also puts the housing prices up more demand for housing and a stagnant supply will cause house prices to go up.

It happens the other way as well, though - there are millions of Brits in Europe who take advantage of free movement for their careers or even move. And we need young migrants to come in and help work and pay for the expensive benefits that retired people need.

Also your forgetting refugees and ISIS members who followed refugees, staying in the EU you have the risk of ISIS members coming to Englamd and attacking us

As we are not in Schengen, this is false The UK only takes in refugees when it independently decides to. And most refugees are not ISIS.

33 million pound a day is a big figure, i believe it can be better spent, we should try and negotiate it down to at least half that figure, the EU will **** thrmselves at the prospect of losing us

You haven't said how or why it's a big figure though - compared to what? What if it turns out that the UK doing it alone will cost £35 million? Or 40? The claim is without context or defence.
Original post by harry998
Tighter immigration, people should only be let in if they have skills in a subject and can directly benefit our country instead of people who come and live off benefits. As for people escaping terror and wars in the middle east something should be done to help protect them and keep them safe but I'm not really sure what it would be....

What about ISIS members who have ran away with immigrants to get to Europe and they would love it getting into England. Immigration is what im basing my vote on . If immigration could be 0 and the EU let this happen i would be a remainer
No, that is not all that the Single Market is. The Single Market is a system in which not only fiscal tariffs, but non-tariff barriers, are suppressed - the Commission works to ensure competition law is equitable, that trading standards are fair and common, and that manufacturing standards are even, so that a company selling British goods in France is not hamstrung by French laws unfairly promoting inferior French products by deliberately making British ones expensive or hard to come by.

It happens the other way as well, though - there are millions of Brits in Europe who take advantage of free movement for their careers or even move. And we need young migrants to come in and help work and pay for the expensive benefits that retired people need.

As we are not in Schengen, this is false The UK only takes in refugees when it independently decides to. And most refugees are not ISIS.

You haven't said how or why it's a big figure though - compared to what? What if it turns out that the UK doing it alone will cost £35 million? Or 40? The claim is without context or defence.

To your point of millions going the other way we take more then that leave us. And ISIS members dressed as refugges only need to be settled in one EU country and they have acces to UK, so they can come to England VIA germany or France

If doing it alone cost 40 million i would accept it on the condition o net immigration bein zero or a minus number
To your point of millions going the other way we take more then that leave us. And ISIS members dressed as refugges only need to be settled in one EU country and they have acces to UK, so they can come to England VIA germany or France

Only once they have citizenship, but they have to go through that country's vetting procedures for that, and they take time. Anyway I refuse to wet my pants over a few ISIS scum coming in and let thousands of innocent people suffer.

If doing it alone cost 40 million i would accept it on the condition o net immigration bein zero or a minus number

Well, I wouldn't.
Only once they have citizenship, but they have to go through that country's vetting procedures for that, and they take time. Anyway I refuse to wet my pants over a few ISIS scum coming in and let thousands of innocent people suffer.

Well, I wouldn't.

Its not our problem thousands are suffering the fact is if America never armed isis they would of imploded by now
How does the EU make my life better? Employent benefits can be written into uk law. What you do not realise is all of the cologne rapists, dorry i meang migrants, wil, be in England in 3-5 years time if we stay in the EU. Think of your contribution and ask yourself, can this be better spent. It benefits your country because your massive on exports, and if you are in the EU at a loss your dxports elsewhere more than cover it. Engkand in the 60's and 70's had masses of exports. If youre german i find it a bit odd you didnt kniw Volkswagen was a creation pf Nazi Germany. To conclude are you worried about Merkels's strange idea lf accepting refugees kn their droves , that could be isis members dressed up as refugees ?

Who said I didn't know Volkswagen was a Nazi creation?

I said wtf to your entire line of argument. What does Nazi Germany have to do with the current German exporting? It is in fact you that has very little knowledge of this issue, but that is not odd at all, because you clearly have no idea what you are talking about and just follow your hate of others. Like all these migrants will be in England in 3-5 years? Do you have no inkling of an idea how ridiculous that claim is?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending