The Student Room Group

Declining unconditional firmed choice?

Hi guys, i am thinking of taking a gap year after finishing a-levels, but this decision cannot be made until I get my final results in August---if the results are good enough for my re-application, then I will do it.

In case that I screw up the exams and get unsatisfactory results, I have now chosen a uni as my firm choice. So the thing is---when the results are released, is it still possible to decline my unconditional offer and declare to the university that I am taking a gap year and re-applying next year? Would it affect my chance of getting an offer from this uni when I re-apply to them?
Original post by lucus450
Hi guys, i am thinking of taking a gap year after finishing a-levels, but this decision cannot be made until I get my final results in August---if the results are good enough for my re-application, then I will do it.

In case that I screw up the exams and get unsatisfactory results, I have now chosen a uni as my firm choice. So the thing is---when the results are released, is it still possible to decline my unconditional offer and declare to the university that I am taking a gap year and re-applying next year? Would it affect my chance of getting an offer from this uni when I re-apply to them?

You can withdraw from this cycle of UCAS at any time using Track. It's best to let your university know ASAP (then they can fill your place with someone else) but it isn't something they'll hold against you if you reapply.

Of course you can decline the offer, universities shouldn't hold grudges so applying next year shouldn't be a problem.
or if you re likely to want to attend the HEI in question defer?
Reply 4
Original post by zippyRN
or if you re likely to want to attend the HEI in question defer?

I did have considered deferring my entry to 2017, but I also want to apply to some other universities(like Cambridge, which rejected me this year) and probably will choose another subject.
Reply 5
Original post by claireestelle
Of course you can decline the offer, universities shouldn't hold grudges so applying next year shouldn't be a problem.

Will they ask me in details the reason why I choose to decline offer? My friend tried this before and was asked about his gap year plan.
Will they ask me in details the reason why I choose to decline offer? My friend tried this before and was asked about his gap year plan.

You don't have to speak to them at all - just withdraw on UCAS Track and they'll be notified.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending