The Student Room Group

Official IGCSE Spanish Edexcel 20th May 2016 Thread

Hola!

Welcome to the thread: Posting predictions and hopefully a provisional mark scheme after the exam has ended.

Buena Suerte :goodluck:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Last year the listening was notoriously hard, so should be nicer this year. Learn some of those hard vocal words and listen out for tenses. They also often trick you into writing down the first thing said in a sentence when actually the real answer may be later in the audio. Always listen to the second repetition, even if you think you got it right!

These were last years extended writing tasks:

Screen Shot 2016-05-19 at 17.07.03.png

Hard to predict the writing categories really but 'work' and 'school' are often quite popular. Don't bank on the classic 'holidays' writing i.e. last year, where you're going next year... The last time this came up was three years ago, so there is a chance but the writings seem to have got more complex since then. Make sure you know your 'question' words!

Tenses Make the difference. A candidate showing off all the tenses - future, past, 'used to', 'far future' and what you 'will do' - Will get you going up those marks. Learn your tense endings for I and we forms. No more is needed to gain top marks.

Understanding readings takes time. look for the use of tenses, don't rush and read the text a few times over if you have to. Underline text which you think might be important and make sure you understand the context of what you're reading. If you don't know a word, guess what it might mean with regards to the question!
thanks this is very useful! Has the environment come as an essay topic yet or is it too hard?
Reply 3
For the whole exam, here is Edexcel's official Vocabulary list.

Its pretty long, but looking over it is very useful for those odd words!
Reply 4
Original post by ellie.drogharty
thanks this is very useful! Has the environment come as an essay topic yet or is it too hard?

The environment has never come up in a writing. I don't think its impossible to write about since it involves current affairs etc. but it is a hard one to include lots of solid tenses. Its quite complex.

I think environment might be one that may come up - if not in the writing, the reading or listening.
Reply 5
That was easy
Reply 6
that was SO nice
Reply 7
Guys the last question on listening for disadvantage so put "to many people"
And for advantages I put mucho tiempo"
And muy util"
I'm sure it's wrong but was just wondering if it was correct lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
how did you find the listening? I thought the last questions were very difficult!
Reply 9
Original post by ty19999
Guys the last question on listening for disadvantage so put "to many people"
And for advantages I put mucho tiempo"
And muy util"
I'm sure it's wrong but was just wondering if it was correct lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Being useful was the questions not the answer
I thought it was really hard, like i struggled on pretty much the entire second half of the listening. What do you think the grade boundaries will be?
(edited 7 years ago)
I found it good, the listening was hard all the way through really but not as bad as last years. The writing 'c' question about family and holidays was good to answer and get tenses in :smile:

Reading was average.

I think the grade boundaries will be the same as usual around 81% for an A*.

Hope all went well.
what did people get for the last 2 questions on the listening and the last 2 on the reading?
Also if we wrote like 200 words on the writing would we get penalised?
(edited 7 years ago)
I thought it was actually pretty good. The listening was good all the way through except for maybe the last question. Also, how far off the word count would they let us go? I wrote around a page and a half which was about 220 words. I'm sure if it doesn't look like its way over they won't count right?
Reply 14
Original post by flyingfish3000
I thought it was actually pretty good. The listening was good all the way through except for maybe the last question. Also, how far off the word count would they let us go? I wrote around a page and a half which was about 220 words. I'm sure if it doesn't look like its way over they won't count right?

Im pretty sure word count wont matter. Hope not coz i wrote 250. 150 is too short to write a good essay so i dont think they will penalise you
I think the writing parts were really nice. I chose part c for the long essay, the one about family etc because I found that the easiest to talk about.
The listening was really good for the first few questions. Question 17 and 18, however, I had no clue what I was doing or what was being said. It's annoying because the first few are always pretty straightforward, then they seem to throw you straight into the deep end.
For the reading, I hadn't revised stationary in a while so that was bad. Then the whole Rosa, Victor and Juan thing confused me so much. I got no answers for Victor, who was talking about buying concert tickets. It just didn't seem to make sense. The communication 50 word writing was good too. Used all the words they gave. The festival thing was pretty good too and the los enfermeros.
All in all, it went okay, but I'm not all that happy. Let's hope for bloody low grade boundaries :/
Original post by 666satinsdoll666
I think the writing parts were really nice. I chose part c for the long essay, the one about family etc because I found that the easiest to talk about.
The listening was really good for the first few questions. Question 17 and 18, however, I had no clue what I was doing or what was being said. It's annoying because the first few are always pretty straightforward, then they seem to throw you straight into the deep end.
For the reading, I hadn't revised stationary in a while so that was bad. Then the whole Rosa, Victor and Juan thing confused me so much. I got no answers for Victor, who was talking about buying concert tickets. It just didn't seem to make sense. The communication 50 word writing was good too. Used all the words they gave. The festival thing was pretty good too and the los enfermeros.
All in all, it went okay, but I'm not all that happy. Let's hope for bloody low grade boundaries :/

the answer for victor was "compro en línea" because he mentioned buying concert tickets on his laptop
Ah damn I put that for the Juan guy because he mentioned " jugamos en linea" I had no clue what "linea" was so I mucked up. Thanks! your profile pic is so cute btw
Original post by 666satinsdoll666
Ah damn I put that for the Juan guy because he mentioned " jugamos en linea" I had no clue what "linea" was so I mucked up. Thanks! your profile pic is so cute btw

haha thank you! i wasn't sure what it was either so i just guessed because it said "compro"
Reply 19
The essay was great i did B about my area and the services
BUT THE LISTNENING WAS IMPOSSIBLE OMGGGGGGG
what were the answers for the last one about learning languages?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending