The Student Room Group

Want an A for maths

I am currently doing Alvel maths. I did my C1 exam today and didn't do as good as I expected so now I'm really worried as it puts me in bad position to get an A grade for maths. I have C2,C3,C4,S1 and M1 left to do. What should I do to get 85UMS an above in the rest so I can achieve an A

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i did c1 badly too :frown:. to get an A* overall you need:

240/300 UMS at AS (thats c1,c2 and either s1 or m1 (depending on what you do in AS) combined)
AND
- 180 UMS across both C3 and C4 (basically 90 ums on each c3 and c4)
AND
- at least a C in your applied module at A2 (the one left over from s1 or m1... so if you did s1 for AS and m1 in a2, you need at least a C in m1)

roughly an A is 420ums out of a possible 600 over AS and A2 combined . so you have a chance still:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by dontgiveup123
I am currently doing Alvel maths. I did my C1 exam today and didn't do as good as I expected so now I'm really worried as it puts me in bad position to get an A grade for maths. I have C2,C3,C4,S1 and M1 left to do. What should I do to get 85UMS an above in the rest so I can achieve an A

You need 480 UMS for an A, how it's split over the 6 units doesn't matter.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Compost
You need 480 UMS for AN A, how it's split over the 6 units doesn't matter.

What advice do you have for me to achieve an A grade
Original post by sheelo73

240/300 UMS at AS (thats c1,c2 and either s1 or m1 (depending on what you do in AS) combined)
AND
AND
- at least a C in your applied module at A2 (the one left over from s1 or m1... so if you did s1 for AS and m1 in a2, you need at least a C in m1)

roughly an A is 420ums out of a possible 600 over AS and A2 combined . so you have a chance still:smile:

Makes me feel slightly better lol

What should I do to achieve an A like any advice ? Thanks
Original post by Compost
You need 480 UMS for AN A, how it's split over the 6 units doesn't matter.

Oh okay thanks
Makes me feel slightly better lol

What should I do to achieve an A like any advice ? Thanks

After that Core 1 exam, i am just trying to find the most difficult questions that I can do to ensure that I will be prepared for whatever they could throw at me lol.
Did not expect that difficulty for a C1 paper.
Original post by georockman
After that Core 1 exam, i am just trying to find the most difficult questions that I can do to ensure that I will be prepared for whatever they could throw at me lol.
Did not expect that difficulty for a C1 paper.

Are you doing A2 as well ?
Are you doing A2 as well ?

Yes. Have to get 90 ums in all my other 5 exams; I think haha.
Practice.

Solomon papers if you have the time.

AND
AND

Thanks a lot , did you end up with an A* and how did you achieve it?
Original post by georockman
Yes. Have to get 90 ums in all my other 5 exams; I think haha.

Lol yh that what puts me under pressure

AND
AND

Say if I got a C at s1 but I was doing that for AS but got an A for M1 when doing A2, could I swap them around so I would get an A* overall. Assuming am able to get 90 % on c3 and 4...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by black1blade
Say if I got a C at s1 but I was doing that for AS but got an A for M1 when doing A2, could I swap them around so I would get an A* overall. Assuming am able to get 90 % on c3 and 4...

sheelo73's explanation is not correct for what you need. To get an A* overall you need:

At least 480/600 UMS overall and

At least 180/200 from C3 and C4.

A2 is not a qualification on its own, it is just the second half of the A level. Your A level will be made up of C1-4, M1 and S1 so you can't 'swap them round' as they are both in the A level. If you are cashed-in again for the AS when you have taken M1 then it might improve your AS grade.
(edited 7 years ago)
Ah okay, that makes sense, average of 80 UMS on each of the exams is doable especially if you need 90 on c3 and 4.
Look up gold papers if you are doing edexcel maths. It is a collection of the hardest questions from actual papers. Also try international papers.
Reply 16
http://umstools.sourceforge.net/demo/www/index.php?p=calculator&target=gce

use this to see your options, change it to maths in the dropdown
Original post by BinaryJava
Look up gold papers if you are doing edexcel maths. It is a collection of the hardest questions from actual papers. Also try international papers.

Anything else I should be doing?

IDK which exam board you are doing but i would say practice some older past papers to get the hang of the types of questions/ answers they give/want and then do some more recent papers to get you familiar with how questions will be phrased / worded in the exam because as im sure you are aware the newer papers have much more linking / thinking involved so they are harder. If you need any help with a particular topic/area, join me over on my thread and we can try to discuss it and provide help. Good luck with c2 and getting an A :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4104433&page=2&p=65015081#post65015081
Reply 19

AND
AND

This is pretty much all wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest