The Student Room Group

The Official OCR English Literature H072/H472 Predictions and Discussion Thread (AS)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rhythmical
Wasn't it not 1 hour and 45 at first? Those 15 minutes could have changed my life.

yep... they removed 15 min and made the paper harder.... stupid.... i want to just punch the people who made this
Original post by Minantan
yep... they removed 15 min and made the paper harder.... stupid.... i want to just punch the people who made this

I would rather have those fifteen minutes in this exam than the next to be honest..
Overall It was a great exam. However, I doubt I got anything above a C!
Original post by xJaayyy
Overall It was a great exam. However, I doubt I got anything above a C!

Think positive, I reckon this was my best exam to date. Remember next week's is counted too so the final grade is weighed between the two. What texts did you study?
Think positive, I reckon this was my best exam to date. Remember next week's is counted too so the final grade is weighed between the two. What texts did you study?

Im doing street car and gatsby... hate both but hell got to do gotta do
Im doing street car and gatsby... hate both but hell got to do gotta do

Do you mean those are next week's texts? I'm looking forward to that exam as it is easier and I prefer it.
Do you mean those are next week's texts? I'm looking forward to that exam as it is easier and I prefer it.

yep..... but i can't stand gatsby... and i have a problem with ao3... don't really no how to intergrate it
yep..... but i can't stand gatsby... and i have a problem with ao3... don't really no how to intergrate it

You'll be fine. have you checked out Lit Charts? I find Shmoop helps too. I recommend writing essays and practising them. Think of a question that is applicable to the text and just practise.

Hamlet and Chaucer! Next weeks exam isn't my strong point since we rushed the books for paper two and barely did any exam practice on them (1984 and Jerusalem) but theres always improvement for next year
Original post by xJaayyy
Hamlet and Chaucer! Next weeks exam isn't my strong point since we rushed the books for paper two and barely did any exam practice on them (1984 and Jerusalem) but theres always improvement for next year

Ooh good luck. I did Chaucer too, how did you find it? I find it sort of tough as the complexity of the three characters made the fourty five minutes go too quickly.
Original post by dnr_23
I had hamlet and paradise lost and hamlet was good but the extract for paradise lost was rubbish

I had exactly the same texts, loved Hamlet and we had done the same question for Paradise lost in class and I still didn't have a clue lols
Ooh good luck. I did Chaucer too, how did you find it? I find it sort of tough as the complexity of the three characters made the fourty five minutes go too quickly.

Thanks! Yeah it definately was a big ask for three characters! I did a sort of extended paragraph for how Chaucer presents each individual character:

May: up against patriarchal 14th century stereotypical views/marriage debate
January: his ignorance/contradicting views through his blindness
Damian: his Courtly Love situation = submissiveness vs being referred to as a "serpent"
... and tied them all in together with how Chaucer uses their views of eachother in order to manipulate the Pilgrims AND our views of the chatacters!

What about you?
Original post by xJaayyy
Thanks! Yeah it definately was a big ask for three characters! I did a sort of extended paragraph for how Chaucer presents each individual character:

May: up against patriarchal 14th century stereotypical views/marriage debate
January: his ignorance/contradicting views through his blindness
Damian: his Courtly Love situation = submissiveness vs being referred to as a "serpent"
... and tied them all in together with how Chaucer uses their views of eachother in order to manipulate the Pilgrims AND our views of the chatacters!

What about you?

I covered all of them in brief as I focused more on language and verse form and imagery.
I covered all of them in brief as I focused more on language and verse form and imagery.

Yeah I focused a little too much on language, but i'll strengthen my exam skills next year!
Original post by xJaayyy
Yeah I focused a little too much on language, but i'll strengthen my exam skills next year!

I'm not too focused on the poetry part as the final grade is combined with the next paper. Hopefully that goes better.

did u talk about irony... irony... and irony... lol
did u talk about irony... irony... and irony... lol

Can I be honest? :tongue: Part of me forgot about irony as I've done it to death so many times so I decided to be unconventional and go for foreshadowing and all that stuff.
The passage on Merchant's take was really good and it was easy to make links across the text; the fact that they asked for three characters was a blessing because there's more to write.
Hamlet was ****, even though the question was easy my a01 and a02 faltered so I probably got like level 3.
I think bloody chamber will be hard though. Best case scenario would be a question on feminism though
Original post by OddFuturez
The passage on Merchant's take was really good and it was easy to make links across the text; the fact that they asked for three characters was a blessing because there's more to write.
Hamlet was ****, even though the question was easy my a01 and a02 faltered so I probably got like level 3.
I think bloody chamber will be hard though. Best case scenario would be a question on feminism though

The Merchant's Tale was okay, I found that doing the Tempest was way easier but when they asked for the portrayal of three characters, I struggled as there was not enough time but the passage was good, that paper was easy. And for the Bloody Chamber, I reckon it is about feminism or how Carter links love/infatuation through dominance maybe?
Reply 79
Can someone tell me what the tempest questions were exactly?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending