The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature: LITB1 - Friday 20th May 2016!

Scroll to see replies

Chapter 6 is the worst for me :frown: Please could someone go through some good points to include with me?
Reply 121
Original post by X-Lucy46-X
Chapter 6 is the worst for me :frown: Please could someone go through some good points to include with me?

Time is key; analepsis is used to tell the story of Gatsby's past. Digressions; tense atmospheres; reference to the past being able to be undone.

Little on place - mainly just Cody's yacht and Lake Superior symbolises Gatsby's ambition.

Character - Gatsby's love and protective tone towards Daisy; Daisy's sass (at Tom) and disatisfaction with the party (huge as Gatsby had the parties and spent millions all for Daisy); Sloanes - represent old money and new money divide; Tom is grouchy and rude towards Gatsby.

Voices: Daisy's voice - mentions specifically at the end of the chapter. Tom and Gatsby's exchange is quite sharp - their conflict. Nick's narrative voice - Nick manipulates time deliberately (this is a novel about writing a novel).

P.O.V: largely Nick's but Gatsby reveals things to us too.

Destination: implied that things may go wrong; foreshadowing of a feud between Gatsby and Tom, which comes in Chapter 7.
Original post by ivybridge
Time is key; analepsis is used to tell the story of Gatsby's past. Digressions; tense atmospheres; reference to the past being able to be undone.

Little on place - mainly just Cody's yacht and Lake Superior symbolises Gatsby's ambition.

Character - Gatsby's love and protective tone towards Daisy; Daisy's sass (at Tom) and disatisfaction with the party (huge as Gatsby had the parties and spent millions all for Daisy); Sloanes - represent old money and new money divide; Tom is grouchy and rude towards Gatsby.

Voices: Daisy's voice - mentions specifically at the end of the chapter. Tom and Gatsby's exchange is quite sharp - their conflict. Nick's narrative voice - Nick manipulates time deliberately (this is a novel about writing a novel).

Destination: implied that things may go wrong; foreshadowing of a feud between Gatsby and Tom, which comes in Chapter 7.

That's such amazing help, thank you so so much!

For rossetti what is the significance of opening and ending for cousin kale and an apple gathering?
Reply 124
Original post by megandardenne
For rossetti what is the significance of opening and ending for cousin kale and an apple gathering?

I have never read Rossetti. Sorry!

Original post by X-Lucy46-X
That's such amazing help, thank you so so much!

You're most welcome. Good luck.
Reply 125
Hello, everyone.

I am gonna have to be 'that guy' and tell you all that you need to go to bed! This is an early exam and cramming won't do much for you. Get some rest.

Best of luck to you all,

Jay
I'm off to sleep! My brain has reached full capacity. Good luck everyone, we will be GREAT. Remember we're all a whole year more clever than we were when we last took this exam...! :tongue:
Reply 127
Last minute panic, sorry guys - does anyone know if you do browning/ a poetry anthology for section A part 1, can you talk about the same poem for section A part 2 as well if it's relevant? Or do you have to use different poems?
Thanks!
I've absolutely failed, rip me tomorrow

I'm copying down everything on one paper, my only hope is chapter 6 coming up in section a the first question on great gatsby, and a nice easy 2nd question.

Then section B, i'm winging it with the poems i know the most from robert frost and auden; and also winging it with the road

I'm absolutely ****ed
Reply 129
I'm taking this exam just for the hell of it - fun, maybe- and I have literally no idea what texts I'm taking in... so unprepared is an understatement.

Gatsby, probably Gatsby and Rime.
According to some examiners reports, you can talk about the same as the question is normally related. You can't really use the same content as you are marked on AO1, AO3 and AO4, so I don't see why it would be a problem :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 131
Original post by Whamuk5
Last minute panic, sorry guys - does anyone know if you do browning/ a poetry anthology for section A part 1, can you talk about the same poem for section A part 2 as well if it's relevant? Or do you have to use different poems?
Thanks!

You can use the same one as long as it answers the question but don't use all the same information - bad move.
Reply 132
Good morning,

I wish every single one of you the very best of luck. You can do this. Even those of you who haven't really prepared - you've had a year longer to let this all wash over you. You know it. Just go in, relax, answer the question and stay focused.

Remember:

Section A -

(a) 30 minutes - AO1 & AO2 - 1 text as given.
(b) 30 minutes - AO1, AO3 & AO4 - At least 2 unless specified otherwise in the question.

Section B (AO1, AO2, AO3) -

1. One Hour - The three texts you DIDN'T do in Section A; 2 paragraphs on each; at least 2 poems, if you do an anothology.
Chapter 6 came up about great gatsby its lit
Reply 134
Original post by Hefty11
Chapter 6 came up about great gatsby its lit

Yes... we know. We just did it.

How did you do?
Yes... we know. We just did it.

How did you do?

Felt confident to be honest, i mentioned everything you said but time was limited, i was quite tired due to staying up till 3am
Reply 136
Original post by Hefty11
Felt confident to be honest, i mentioned everything you said but time was limited, i was quite tired due to staying up till 3am

No pressure then. *Exam Results Day comes* "IVYBRIDGE OMFG I HATE YOU OMG" :lol:.
No pressure then. *Exam Results Day comes* "IVYBRIDGE OMFG I HATE YOU OMG" :lol:.

LOL 😂
Reply 138
I have absolutely no idea how I did but I've been studying Tennyson, Birdsong (the bane of my life), Rime of the Ancient Mariner and The Great Gatsby.

I did Rime of the Ancient Mariner for Section A and felt like it went quite well but seeing as I came out of the exam last time thinking it was alright, I'll hold off judgement until results day :P I did the characterisation question for section B and had a lot to say about Gatsby, enough to say about Birdsong but I think my points on Tennyson (I focused mainly of Mariana and The Lady of Shalott) were weak and unstructured.

It would have helped if I didn't have an invigilator try to take my paper away from me after 1h40mins because she thought I was doing a different paper... And then wouldn't believe me even when I showed her the front of my paper saying 2 hours :/

Just hoping for the best now, I hope you all did the best you can as well :smile:
Original post by Restar
I have absolutely no idea how I did but I've been studying Tennyson, Birdsong (the bane of my life), Rime of the Ancient Mariner and The Great Gatsby.

I did Rime of the Ancient Mariner for Section A and felt like it went quite well but seeing as I came out of the exam last time thinking it was alright, I'll hold off judgement until results day :P I did the characterisation question for section B and had a lot to say about Gatsby, enough to say about Birdsong but I think my points on Tennyson (I focused mainly of Mariana and The Lady of Shalott) were weak and unstructured.

It would have helped if I didn't have an invigilator try to take my paper away from me after 1h40mins because she thought I was doing a different paper... And then wouldn't believe me even when I showed her the front of my paper saying 2 hours :/

Just hoping for the best now, I hope you all did the best you can as well :smile:

That is so awful! I would complain

Quick Reply

Latest