The Student Room Group

Official M4 Edexcel Thread – Wednesday 15th June 2016

Due to unpopular demand, I've had to make the unofficial M4 thread myself.

Has anyone got S1 on the same day too?

Some resources:
Solution bank - http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/...-solutionbank/
Past papers (2002-) - http://freeexampapers.com/?dir=A-Level/Maths/Edexcel
TeeEm's resources - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post56191033

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
@physicsmaths it's lonely over here.
Original post by ombtom

haha, indeed!
Yeah how we all preparing?
Doing every question in the old and new book, then move onto every past paper, we grinding for that hunnit ums
Here are some notes that some may find useful:
http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/resources/a%20level%20revision/2016%20Notes%20from%20Simon%20Baxter/Mechanics%204%20Revision%20Notes%20March%202014.pdf
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks for the notes man! its worth doing the madasmaths questions as well!
@Davidabraham Thanks for reminding me!! I see that midnight oil burning bright loool
Original post by Davidabraham
Yeah how we all preparing?

Gna finish of he review exercises inbthe book soon then do all the papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
btw guys, question 11,16,17,18 from ex 2A, Am I the only one that has absolutely no idea how to do them?
Reply 9
Original post by ChuckNorriss
btw guys, question 11,16,17,18 from ex 2A, Am I the only one that has absolutely no idea how to do them?

For q11 I found the unit vector in direction of the wall (i.e. y=x, or 1/sqrt(2)(i + j)) and the unit vector perpendicular to it, I think you have to dot product them to find the velocity perpendicular to the wall. These vector questions where the line of center/wall are not horizontal or vertical are so annoying -.-.
Original post by Pyslocke
For q11 I found the unit vector in direction of the wall (i.e. y=x, or 1/sqrt(2)(i + j)) and the unit vector perpendicular to it, I think you have to dot product them to find the velocity perpendicular to the wall. These vector questions where the line of center/wall are not horizontal or vertical are so annoying -.-.

i dont get why 1/sqrt(2) and thanks btw
YOOO, Michael van Biezen is some American youtube channel but he does topics from m4 ( I used his vids for chap 1) and lucy michaels goes through some past papers step by step, (for m5 too)
Original post by ChuckNorriss
YOOO, Michael van Biezen is some American youtube channel but he does topics from m4 ( I used his vids for chap 1) and lucy michaels goes through some past papers step by step, (for m5 too)

Cheers

Original post by ombtom

I made a duplicate thread because I didn't know this one existed :lol:

Anyone started prep yet or are they waiting for S3 to end like me? :colonhash:
Original post by Euclidean
Cheers

I made a duplicate thread because I didn't know this one existed :lol:

Anyone started prep yet or are they waiting for S3 to end like me? :colonhash:

Yeh i did some review exercises stuffa few weeks ago. After S3 im going straight for M4/5 i will finish reviews then do all the papers. Wanna secure the near 100s in M4/5.
Original post by physicsmaths
Yeh i did some review exercises stuffa few weeks ago. After S3 im going straight for M4/5 i will finish reviews then do all the papers. Wanna secure the near 100s in M4/5.

I've done 2000-2005ish I think, probably going to repeat them again though

I wanna be as confident for M4/5 as I was for M3, that might take quite a bit of time for M5 though cause the compound pendula is quite tough
Relative motion is killing me.. I just don't get them! My maths teacher has no experience teaching M4, so I'm really in trouble.. :frown:
Original post by pinksmartiee
Relative motion is killing me.. I just don't get them! My maths teacher has no experience teaching M4, so I'm really in trouble.. :frown:

I do them all in vectors, write every single thing (velocities, positions and relative velocities) as a column vector and then you just need to remember a few things.

Attached a scan of my notes:

Relative Motion-1.jpg

Saying that, my task this week is to understand the diagrammatic approach
Original post by Euclidean
I do them all in vectors, write every single thing (velocities, positions and relative velocities) as a column vector and then you just need to remember a few things.

Attached a scan of my notes:

Relative Motion-1.jpg

Saying that, my task this week is to understand the diagrammatic approach

Oh ive hardly ever used vectors in rel morion. I normally do all approaches using pure geometry and hope for the best haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Oh ive hardly ever used vectors in rel morion. I normally do all approaches using pure geometry and hope for the best haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sometimes the diagrams go over my head. Especially when there's three separate ones to try and merge into one :confused:
guys, chapter 3 example 2b, that's fp3 right? what else do i need from fp3 for m4? I aint doing fp3...
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply