The Student Room Group

OCR (not-MEI) FP1 - Friday 20th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by farryharnworth
I thought that was alright, at least compared to M2...
I got:
1)
1/2 * n(n-1)(2n+3)
2)
i) sqrt(3)-3i
ii) -1/49 + 4sqrt(3)/49 i
3)
i) alpha + beta = -1/k
alpha * beta = 1
ii) (alpha + 1/alpha) * (beta + 1/beta) 1/k^2
4)
i) (5a-3b 10 0)
ii) (6b-5)
iii) (6a 12 18)
(4a 8 12)
(-a -2 -3)
5) [inductive proof]
6)
i) |z-3-3i| = sqrt(5)
ii) [argand diagram]
iii) 2 + 5i, 4 + i
7)
i) Shear, x axis invariant, (0,1) mapped to (3,1)
ii) (0 -1)
(-1 0)
Reflection in y=-x
8)
i) [Show that]
ii) n / 3(2n+3)
iii) 1/ 2(2n+1)
9)
i) [Show that]
ii) The equations were consistent
10)
i) +/- (5 + 4i)
ii) [Show that]
iii) +/- (5/41 +/- 4/41 i)

I think the intersection point is 1+4i and 5+2i.Also the equation should be |z-(3+3i)|=squrt (5)
Reply 81
Original post by farryharnworth
I thought that was alright, at least compared to M2...
I got:
1)
1/2 * n(n-1)(2n+3)
2)
i) sqrt(3)-3i
ii) -1/49 + 4sqrt(3)/49 i
3)
i) alpha + beta = -1/k
alpha * beta = 1
ii) (alpha + 1/alpha) * (beta + 1/beta) 1/k^2
4)
i) (5a-3b 10 0)
ii) (6b-5)
iii) (6a 12 18)
(4a 8 12)
(-a -2 -3)
5) [inductive proof]
6)
i) |z-3-3i| = sqrt(5)
ii) [argand diagram]
iii) 2 + 5i, 4 + i
7)
i) Shear, x axis invariant, (0,1) mapped to (3,1)
ii) (0 -1)
(-1 0)
Reflection in y=-x
8)
i) [Show that]
ii) n / 3(2n+3)
iii) 1/ 2(2n+1)
9)
i) [Show that]
ii) The equations were consistent
10)
i) +/- (5 + 4i)
ii) [Show that]
iii) +/- (5/41 +/- 4/41 i)

do you know how many marks awarded for q6?
Reply 82
Original post by sdhand
I agree with all of these except 8iii, which IIRC was a sum to infinity, so shouldn't have an n anywhere in it. <- THIS IS WRONG I CAN'T ****ING READ

So was the answer 1/4n+2?
So are we expecting higher or lower grade boundaries than last year?
Original post by SonicTails19
Question 6 was the most confusing for me.
I think I got |z - 3 - 3i| = 5 for the equation, and 1+4i and 5+2i for the point of intersections.
Did anyone else get those answers?

I got those answers as well but someone said it was 4+I and 2+5i
Hello, this was a fairly average paper in terms of difficulty in my opinion - I've retaken it during my gap year having done rubbish in it two years ago. There will still be people who bring the grade boundaries down - i was one of those people 2 years ago.

The questions which I'm not sure about were:

the intersection points on the argand diagram - i resorted to judging the points using my diagram as they seemed to intersect nicely at integers on the axes. couldn't manage to get them methodically using trig..

the last part of the last question, did anyone bother/manage to get the equation in u using the x substitution ? I didn't include this step and so I don't think i have a couple of the method marks....

anyways, i need to smash d2 , s2 and fp2 , good luck to all in rest of exams!!!!!
Original post by duncanjgraham
Hello, this was a fairly average paper in terms of difficulty in my opinion - I've retaken it during my gap year having done rubbish in it two years ago. There will still be people who bring the grade boundaries down - i was one of those people 2 years ago.

the intersection points on the argand diagram - i resorted to judging the points using my diagram as they seemed to intersect nicely at integers on the axes. couldn't manage to get them methodically using trig..

the last part of the last question, did anyone bother/manage to get the equation in u using the x substitution ? I didn't include this step and so I don't think i have a couple of the method marks....

anyways, i need to smash d2 , s2 and fp2 , good luck to all in rest of exams!!!!!

What do you think an a will be for this exam?
Reply 87
For Q6)iii), the correct intersections for the complex numbers were 4+i and 2+5i
Reply 88
Anybody has a copy of the paper?
Original post by SWISH99
What do you think an a will be for this exam?

I reckon 62 for an A, although bear in mind I could be completely wrong.

(Based on 2015 being easier- 59 was an A, and a few years ago them going up to 64 for an A)
Original post by TeeEm
Anybody has a copy of the paper?

Just teachers so far I think, or do you mean us reconstructing the paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had the argand diagram looking like this:
argand.png
which gives 2+5i and 4+i
Reply 92
Original post by drandy76
Just teachers so far I think, or do you mean us reconstructing the paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, an actual scanned copy of the original
I reckon 62 for an A, although bear in mind I could be completely wrong.

(Based on 2015 being easier- 59 was an A, and a few years ago them going up to 64 for an A)
thanks. Do you remember how many mark altogether q10 was?
Original post by SWISH99
thanks. Do you remember how many mark altogether q10 was?

last part was 4, not sure about first two parts sozza
Reply 95
How many marks for question 2? I put 3 + root3i for part 1 by accident and this changes part 2 :/
Came out thinking I had got around 70 marks, but it seems I have dropped around 10 through stupid mistakes yet again :frown:
Reply 97
Does anyone know how many marks were for question 8? I got 1/2n+1 for the sum to infinity, hoping I get a couple of working marks
Reply 98
How did you do the last question and question 2??

That's exactly what I did for the intersection question. Will I still score full marks for getting the intersection points correct?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending