The Student Room Group

Previous higher education = problem getting 3 years funding! HELP PLEASE

I'm currently in my second year of my degree, my first year was paid for, my second year paid for and I've had a statement stating that I will receive full payment for my 3rd and final year.
I have recently been issued an invoice from my university stating student finance want me to pay back my first year tuition fee.
I believe this has something to do with them only paying for a maximum of 4 years higher education. Before I started uni I completed a 2 year part time HNC course whilst I was an apprentice.
My HNC was higher education and 2 years long so through their calculation I'd only receive 2 years funding for my degree. BUT....

1.) My HNC was paid by employer and had nothing to do with student finance.

2.) They had already agreed my first, second and now third year grants, loans and tuition fees, so are they allowed to just lead me on to think it's all getting paid then suddenly say no??

Help please if anyone else had been in this situation??

Thanks
Original post by DarrenHawes
I'm currently in my second year of my degree, my first year was paid for, my second year paid for and I've had a statement stating that I will receive full payment for my 3rd and final year.
I have recently been issued an invoice from my university stating student finance want me to pay back my first year tuition fee.
I believe this has something to do with them only paying for a maximum of 4 years higher education. Before I started uni I completed a 2 year part time HNC course whilst I was an apprentice.
My HNC was higher education and 2 years long so through their calculation I'd only receive 2 years funding for my degree. BUT....

1.) My HNC was paid by employer and had nothing to do with student finance.

2.) They had already agreed my first, second and now third year grants, loans and tuition fees, so are they allowed to just lead me on to think it's all getting paid then suddenly say no??

Help please if anyone else had been in this situation??

Thanks

They count previous years of education regardless of whether they paid for them or not, but it seems like the HNC should have counted for 1 years study (was it 60 credits you did a year for it?).
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
They count previous years of education regardless of whether they paid for them or not, but it seems like the HNC should have counted for 1 years study (was it 60 credits you did a year for it?).

Yes 60 credits in year 1
65 credits in year 2

Have you been in this situation?
Yes 60 credits in year 1
65 credits in year 2

Have you been in this situation?

If thats an extra 5 credits in year 2 that could be causing the problem. No but i've had part years which sfe have counted as full ones despite them not paying the tuition fees.
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
If thats an extra 5 credits in year 2 that could be causing the problem. No but i've had part years which sfe have counted as full ones despite them not paying the tuition fees.

Ah right. Is there any legislation that states how many part time credits = 1 years full time study as I need something to try and shift the part time study to a single year full time so I can pay my tuition fee or I'll be off the course "/
Ah right. Is there any legislation that states how many part time credits = 1 years full time study as I need something to try and shift the part time study to a single year full time so I can pay my tuition fee or I'll be off the course "/

Its normally considered 120 credits to be one year of full time study.
Hi there.

The HNC will be included regardless of how it was funded.

If you never applied to us for the HNC then this would not show on our systems.

You would have been asked to provide this in the 'previous study' section of your applications and if it wasn't showing in previous ones we would not have been aware it had to be included in our calculations, which is possibly why it has only come to light now.

I would recommend calling us on 0300 100 0607 to have the apps checked.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending