The Student Room Group

oh no, scanning GCSE papers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by asphyxiax
really? so the whole page isnt scanned? i didnt write outside the box if thats what you thought (where it says do not write)

It gets a bit boring towards the end, but I was wondering the same as you and found this video of the scanning process if you're interested:
Each examiner sees a scanned section with just the lines designated for response, but there's usually a little bit left underneath. If the examiner sees that the response cuts off unexpectedly or can see the edge of words beneath the scanned area, they can flag your work so that the head examiner can organise for the full scan of the paper to be marked instead or, if the answer isn't readable on the scan, the paper can be marked by hand.

I hope that reassures you a bit! :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by CaptErin
It gets a bit boring towards the end, but I was wondering the same as you and found this video of the scanning process if you're interested:
Each examiner sees a scanned section with just the lines designated for response, but there's usually a little bit left underneath. If the examiner sees that the response cuts off unexpectedly or can see the edge of words beneath the scanned area, they can flag your work so that the head examiner can organise for the full scan of the paper to be marked instead or, if the answer isn't readable on the scan, the paper can be marked by hand.

Original post by Juno
The whole page is scanned, but if the page is wonky certain bits won't show. They try to scan as quickly as possible due to the large number of papers so can't spend too long getting everything perfect. If you wrote outside the lines it may show up, or it may get cut off.Different markers sometimes look at different questions, so it's also possible the whole page will go to a few different people.If you can't fit everything in the box make it as obvious as possible. They will then know to look elsewhere if it didn't show.

oh god i think i might just ask for extra paper from now on i dont want to risk my work not being marked. thanks!
Reply 22
Original post by CaptErin
It gets a bit boring towards the end, but I was wondering the same as you and found this video of the scanning process if you're interested:Each examiner sees a scanned section with just the lines designated for response, but there's usually a little bit left underneath. If the examiner sees that the response cuts off unexpectedly or can see the edge of words beneath the scanned area, they can flag your work so that the head examiner can organise for the full scan of the paper to be marked instead or, if the answer isn't readable on the scan, the paper can be marked by hand.

:smile:
Reply 23
Original post by D.SHA64
dont worry
they will look at the paper
they will know that you wrote on the side and they will mark it
many students do this so they have a seperate system to look at your paper
but you dont have to worry because it will be marked
concentrate on your next exams

You are very wise, aswell as succinct thanks lol
Original post by djdude
are you doing ocr 21st century science? They should have said something at the start of the paper !!
do you think i should contact them or someting?

yeah I am doing ocr 21st century science. sorry for the late reply, I don't think they said anything about it on the front of the paper
Original post by djdude
lol i done that also, but i think that is fine depending on the exam board

Original post by asphyxiax
sorry to hijack this thread, but i ran out of lines for some questions and continued writing like underneath (only like 1 line where there was space) is this shown in the scan ? i only found out you can get extra paper like yesterday lol

I don't see why it wouldnt be shown...

Quick Reply

Latest