The Student Room Group

Edexcel Spanish Reading and Listening Exam (20 May 2016)

Couldn't find a thread about this so I made one.

How did you guys find the two exams? I struggled with parts of the written answer question and the last question on the reading paper but found the listening slightly easier than past papers.

Finally, do you think it was easier or harder than last year's papers (if you've done them, eg for your mock exams)?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My son just text me and he found it very easy. He watched Shrek in Spanish last night which he said really helped with the listening. 😊
Surprisingly, the listening was easier but I did struggle with the papers as a whole -.-
for question 8 in the reading i got C B B C B B C A how many of these are right?
Reply 4
I found the listening easier than normal, except for some struggling on the last question. Reading was harder than usual I thought, particularly the last question and some of the writing bit.

I think listening exam marks will be higher for an A* this year, but reading marks may be lower.
(edited 7 years ago)
The exam overall was hard for me. 90% of students in my year also complained it being hard.

The Listening paper was somewhat slightly easier than the Reading paper, but still hard nonetheless.
Reply 6
Original post by NextGenRemix
for question 8 in the reading i got C B B C B B C A how many of these are right?

I can mostly only remember the words not the letters or order, but I said the busses were smaller, silent, good for accessing places that other vehicles can't. I think I got the same as you for the last two answers and probably some or all of the others.
Reply 7
Original post by stormblazer999
The exam overall was hard for me. 90% of students in my year also complained it being hard.

The Listening paper was somewhat slightly easier than the Reading paper, but still hard nonetheless.

Yeah, same in my school - particularly the last question on the Reading with the 'green' buses and a bit of the 'packaged holidays'. Do you think grade boundaries will be slightly lower this year? I thought it was harder than 2015's.

Original post by Lelanor
I can mostly only remember the words not the letters or order, but I said the busses were smaller, silent, good for accessing places that other vehicles can't. I think I got the same as you for the last two answers and probably some or all of the others.
Said that as well. What did you put for the last one? I nearly put 'comfortable seats' for the last one, but I changed it to easy access because I saw something about electric doors...even though it mentioned seats later on.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by bmgaic
Yeah, same in my school - particularly the last question on the Reading with the 'green' buses and a bit of the 'packaged holidays'. Do you think grade boundaries will be slightly lower this year? I thought it was harder than 2015's.

Oh, certainly. They will definitely pull the grade boundaries lower.

The grade boundaries reflect on the performances of everyone nationally. So if everyone did terrible, the grade boundaries will be lowered (and vice versa).

I hope that everyone does terrible so we can get lower grade boundaries! :biggrin:

This was also harder than June 2015 in my opinion.

Yeah, the green buses article was quite challenging, as well as the packaged holidays like you said. Also, am I the only one that found the Engineering question on the Listening paper challenging? I answered all of the questions but I don't necessarily know if I'm right...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Yeah, the green buses article was quite challenging, as well as the packaged holidays like you said. Also, am I the only one that found the Engineering question on the Listening paper hard?

Okay, good :biggrin:.
Surprisingly enough, I didn't find it too bad. There were some bits about adjustments to universities that I found a bit weird, but otherwise it was fine.
I think my answers went something like:

He got really good grades in Maths.
Serious (though I also heard hardworking)
He had to get used to a distinctive routine, and had to get used to a difficult class (? not sure...)

Something about getting on well with people?
Something about secure, good pay and lots of work opportunities.
And working on medical equipment.

I think that was it...
Original post by bmgaic
Okay, good :biggrin:.
Surprisingly enough, I didn't find it too bad. There were some bits about adjustments to universities that I found a bit weird, but otherwise it was fine.
I think my answers went something like:

He got really good grades in Maths.
Serious (though I also heard hardworking)
He had to get used to a distinctive routine, and had to get used to a difficult class (? not sure...)

Something about getting on well with people?
Something about secure, good pay and lots of work opportunities.
And working on medical equipment.

I think that was it...

I got something along the lines of your answers:

1. I think it mentioned something about his parents encouraging him?
2. I put Hardworking
3. I wrote something similar to you, I just said that he had to get involved with many routines/courses in the uni.

4. I forgot what I put down.
5. 1. Lots of opportunities 2. Security??

6. Yeah, he said that he wants to work in a company that involves with medicine.

I'm not too concerned with this Spanish exam, however, because I got A/A*/A*/A* in my Coursework.
Anyone else find the listening harder than the 2015 one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12

I'm not too concerned with this Spanish exam, however, because I got A/A*/A*/A* in my Coursework.

Unsure what I got in my coursework, teacher never told us (quite a few teachers never told us about coursework, actually :s-smilie:) but I was never told to resit any of them or improve on them so the teacher doesn't seem concerned (other A* pupils had to, though). Oh well, no point worrying now I guess - Spanish is all done. :biggrin:
With an A* A* A A in the controlled assessments, what would be the lowest grades in the exams needed for me to get a B or an A overall?
Original post by bmgaic
Unsure what I got in my coursework, teacher never told us (quite a few teachers never told us about coursework, actually :s-smilie:) but I was never told to resit any of them or improve on them so the teacher doesn't seem concerned (other A* pupils had to, though). Oh well, no point worrying now I guess - Spanish is all done. :biggrin:

Maybe you could go ask your teacher for at least a rough idea of what you got in your coursework. My class were begging and nagging the teacher to give us the results for a very long time until he recently had enough and told us.

I always hated Spanish and I am glad that it's all over.
Original post by NextGenRemix
With an A* A* A A in the controlled assessments, what would be the lowest grades in the exams needed for me to get a B or an A overall?

Roughly - you would need to get a very high C to get a B.
You would need to get a solid B to get an A.
Roughly - you would need to get a very high C to get a B.
You would need to get a solid B to get an A.

I managed to scrape A* on my courseworks. How many marks in total would I need from both exams to get a C overall? or A?

I forgot to answer question 3 on the reading :frown: so I lost 8/9 marks already
Original post by shohaib712
I managed to scrape A* on my courseworks. How many marks in total would I need from both exams to get a C overall? or A?

I forgot to answer question 3 on the reading :frown: so I lost 8/9 marks already

You would need 21-23 out of 40 to get a C in Listening.
You would need 22-24 out of 40 to get a C in Reading.

You would need 25-27 out of 40 to get an A in Listening.
You would need 27-30 out of 40 to get an A in Reading.

But the grade boundaries this year for Spanish will likely to be lower than ever so your chances of getting a C/A are fairly high.

Let's assume you dropped 15 marks in Reading (8 marks because you forgot Q3 and 7 marks overall) you would be getting a very high B or a low A.

Do not panic. You will do just fine.
Original post by shohaib712

I have A's on both my courseworks -77/90, and my teacher told me that the minimum I can get overall (if I get 0 on both papers) is a D. Since the papers are only out of a UMS of 60.. So I assume you can afford to do pretty badly and easily pasS
My class went through the paper
today and both my Spanish teachers said that last years papers were definitely harder than this years. I got about 28 +/- 1 on both papers. The green bus question wasn't actually all that hard - the questions that tipped everyone off was the Inclusive Package and Engineering questions. However, only the people who want to get A* would be getting those right.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending