The Student Room Group

Turned down for finance

I have been turned down for a student loan due to not completing three courses I started but didn't finish due to mental health issues/depression. I've had counselling and got my life together. And want to do my law degree. I've been told to make a detailed response to each year with supporting evidence from Doctors, which I can provide plus when I had treatment with a psychologist which eventually lead to me getting better in 2013. The guy on the phone at SLC didn't sound sure I would get anything from putting in evidence which has left me doubting I can. Is there any advice you can give me to help with providing evidence for each year.

The years are
2002/2003
2003/2004
2005/2006

Any help would be gratefully received and I never obtained a degree.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by dudeness
I have been turned down for a student loan due to not completing three courses I started but didn't finish due to mental health issues/depression. I've had counselling and got my life together. And want to do my law degree. I've been told to make a detailed response to each year with supporting evidence from Doctors, which I can provide plus when I had treatment with a psychologist which eventually lead to me getting better in 2013. The guy on the phone at SLC didn't sound sure I would get anything from putting in evidence which has left me doubting I can. Is there any advice you can give me to help with providing evidence for each year.

The years are
2002/2003
2003/2004
2005/2006

Any help would be gratefully received and I never obtained a degree.

Send through everything you have - if you have the evidence (especially about how the issue that caused you to drop out is now under control) then there is a reasonable chance that they will be willing to write off your previous attempts and let you start again from scratch.

When you speak to people from SFE or SLC then make sure to ask for and write down their name and job title and what they say to you. Ask them to confirm any promises in writing. You'll get MUCH better service and more helpful (and truthful) answers this way.
Reply 2
Thank you, I have been into doctors this morning and left a letter for doc with a copy of the letter from the SFE and the dates the info I require is for. I've also left a message for my psychologist to call me next week. Fingers crossed
Original post by dudeness
Thank you, I have been into doctors this morning and left a letter for doc with a copy of the letter from the SFE and the dates the info I require is for. I've also left a message for my psychologist to call me next week. Fingers crossed

Let us know how it turns out - the online reps for SFE encourage people to apply for "compelling personal reasons" so it's interesting that the people on the phone aren't so encouraging.
Hi there.

You can apply for the aforementioned 'Compelling Personal Reasons' for any years that there were extenuating circumstances that cause you to be unable to study. You can apply for this for multiple years also.

The advisor may have sounded unsure as it is not at their discretion. CPR is awarded on a case by case basis and is at the discretion of the assessment team only, so they would not have been able to make any promises as to whether it will definitely be accepted.

Evidence can be a letter from your college/uni detailing the reasons behind you being unable to complete the course(s) or even from a medical professional who you spoke with at the time.

Thanks
Reply 5
Bit of an update, and a bit of further advise needed.

I have sent my doctors notes in, which actually mentions I was struggling at University. And a letter from my psychologist detailing the period I was depressed, but also how much better I am now. I think I made quite a good case.

It says approved on my online account, but where it says fees to Uni, it's £0.00 - I called them up Saturday last week and they advised my compelling reasons case had not been decided, she indicated I should expect good news. But said I had to call back on 29th. I've rung up this morning only to be told another date of 7th July. I'm so stressed, my entire career and life is hanging on this one decision.

Would the girl I spoke to initially have an insight into what was occurring with my application, as I kinda pinned my hopes on her words.

😵

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending