The Student Room Group

OCR Sources of Law G152 May 2016

Looked around for a topic in regards to this but couldn't find one so thought I'll make one myself.

Anyone have any predictions etc. with what will come up? What have you guys revised?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My teacher has predicted Delegated Legislation and Precedent. Although he predicted DL last year and it didn't come up, so he seems positive it will come up this year as it hasn't for so long.:erm: My teacher says they can't use Statutory Interpretation again as that will mean it will have come up three years in a row, but I have revised it anyway just in case but not in great detail. I haven't even touched EU and don't think I will get a chance to before Friday:bawling: I've revised DL in the most detail, so I'm just hoping that will come up!
Del Leg I hope!
Precedent hasn't been on for 3 years apparently, so we're overdue. EU was on last year but hadn't been on for a while before that as far as I know so it could be a back to back appearance this year.
Delegated Legislation and Judicial Precedent is looking likely!
Reply 5
Original post by null.and.void.
lawhelp.png

Can someone help me with a Precedent question from 2014?

I don't really understand why the mark scheme for the question I've circles says that the court is bound. Shouldn't it NOT be bound according to the three exceptions from the Young v Bristol Aeroplane case?

I've attached the question to the top of this post. Thanks for any help.

Young principles apply only in cases where the CA wants to overrule ITS OWN precedent in the earlier case. Here it is bound to follow the HL due to the domestic rules of precedent, and it is pretty much irrelevant what ECHR thinks.
btw read the source, it pretty much gives you the answer on the first couple of lines.
(edited 7 years ago)
Last minute predictions of the Q's coming up? Got a feeling law reform will come up with JP
Reply 7
What does everyone think about that?
Delegated Legislation wasn't what I was hoping for (wanted precedent) but I think it went very good in my case.
Reply 8
Original post by FAetius
What does everyone think about that?
Delegated Legislation wasn't what I was hoping for (wanted precedent) but I think it went very good in my case.

Can't believe they put statutory interpretation 3 years in a row, so I barely looked at it when revising. With Delegated legislation part (b) seemed to be quite tricky and I believe many must have made a mistake by saying (ii) was SI.
Reply 9
Original post by 28657
Can't believe they put statutory interpretation 3 years in a row, so I barely looked at it when revising. With Delegated legislation part (b) seemed to be quite tricky and I believe many must have made a mistake by saying (ii) was SI.

Yeah I thought it was nice how each of thosr situations corresponded to each of types of DL. Can see how people might have been tripped up by that though.
Yep - I wrote OIC first, thinking 1) different nations and 2) why on Earth would they put SI on twice. Then changed it to SI at the last minute when I reread the question and it said ministers. Oh well.. The other questions went superbly (DL with Law Reform was exactly what I wanted) so at least they'll give me a lot of marks. It's over now! So I'm forgetting about my mistake and focusing on what went well.
Reply 11
Original post by chloehiltonlaw
Yep - I wrote OIC first, thinking 1) different nations and 2) why on Earth would they put SI on twice. Then changed it to SI at the last minute when I reread the question and it said ministers. Oh well.. The other questions went superbly (DL with Law Reform was exactly what I wanted) so at least they'll give me a lot of marks. It's over now! So I'm forgetting about my mistake and focusing on what went well.

Hope it goes well for you. I personally, wrote OiC, but without much explanation, since it doesn't seems to be an emergency and I don't know how to link it besides the fact that Gvt should transfer their powers themselves rather than delegating it to a minister, in my view. It was very sneaky for them to put the word 'minister' in (ii) because this is what people notice at the face value.
That was so horrible! Messed up so much, part a of question 1 was horrific, part b was worse, and part c, well I didn't even get around to part c ii because I ran out of time! What am I gonna do?!
I linked the ii. With the emergency powers act as i had nothing else lol
What did everyone out for the first question on reform?? I wrote mainly about the law commission and how it operates but included some points about public influence and pressure groups. I couldn't think of many cases to include though, only the fraud act 2006 and the hunting act 2004 but that was given in the source!
Original post by 28657
Hope it goes well for you. I personally, wrote OiC, but without much explanation, since it doesn't seems to be an emergency and I don't know how to link it besides the fact that Gvt should transfer their powers themselves rather than delegating it to a minister, in my view. It was very sneaky for them to put the word 'minister' in (ii) because this is what people notice at the face value.
do you think there could be a possibility two of the answers were SI??
Reply 16
Original post by lunamoon127
What did everyone out for the first question on reform?? I wrote mainly about the law commission and how it operates but included some points about public influence and pressure groups. I couldn't think of many cases to include though, only the fraud act 2006 and the hunting act 2004 but that was given in the source!

That's exactly what we were supposed to do.
I talked auto pressure groups (lobbying, petitioning etc.) and public opinion so that I could make links to the source. I didn't put any cases for them either, however I have included plenty of law when discussing Law commission and Royal commission and how their proposals were made law. I also mentioned how judges could influence law by deciding points of law, such as duty of care in Donoghue v Stevenson (not sure if it was correct though, because the question asked about bodies/people who suggest new laws, not make them).
(edited 7 years ago)
What did everyone put the the first question for DL and Law Reform?
Reply 18
Original post by lunamoon127
do you think there could be a possibility two of the answers were SI??

I doubt it, but I may be wrong. In part (iii) the question wasn't specific enough, as it may have been an Order in Council as well as an SI. However, from what I have heard from other students, part (ii) is probably an Order in Council, not an SI, although many have different answers for it. We will only know on the results day, unfortunately.
Original post by 28657
That's exactly what we were supposed to do.
I talked auto pressure groups (lobbying, petitioning etc.) and public opinion so that I could make links to the source. I didn't put any cases for them either, however I have included plenty of law when discussing Law commission and Royal commission and how their proposals were made law. I also mentioned how judges could influence law by deciding points of law, such as duty of care in Donoghue v Stevenson (not sure if it was correct though, because the question asked about bodies/people who suggest new laws, not make them).

Yes I said about how pressure groups can use lobbying to persuade MPs to voice their ideas in parliament! I didn't mention the royal commission though I've never even heard of that🤔 I used RvR as an example of judges, completely forgot about donoghue v Stevenson !!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending