The Student Room Group

AQA AS English Language - 23rd May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 4shadows
Ahhhh I'll try that out. Thanks ":wink:

No problem at all. :biggrin:
Reply 21
Original post by claudiamendes
My teacher doesn't know how to teach well, so i'm definately going to fail. Also it's on the same day as my Psychology exam, the really tough one!:dong: so i'm not even going to revise for English and will most probably fail!

I can relate so much of the fact my english teacher doesn't know how to teach!
Reply 22
Anyone have any tips for Question 3 (Comparison Question) on Paper 1? Like how to structure it and what to include? Thanks.
For the 'meanings and representations' questions, this is the format I follow for an A every time!
Spend roughly (I know this is hard) seven minutes - so just over five minutes, annotating the two texts before you write your answer for each text. Meaning, start by reading through each text and annotate them as you read, then annotate the first text before answering it. Then, you can annotate the second text after you have written your first answer, and finally highlight the similarities and differences you have annotated before writing your comparison.

In the introduction:
Begin with the affordances (good things) and constraints of the mode of text - for example a radio transcript is that the listener can hear and understand the implied emotions of the text, but that it could be considered ephemeral as it isn't written down for the text receiver to remember.
Then, state what meaning the text is representing through its language. Use the question to your advantage!

Then, work through each one of the frameworks - graphology (visual), grammar, lexis and semantics, pragmatics, discourse, and phonology. Each framework should be a paragraph, but don't be afraid to integrate your answers.

That's all I really have. AQA have a booklet with the frameworks listed on their website in a PDF. I can't find it now, but it will be there if you search 'grammar' or something on their website! Good luck!
Hey, I've got the comparison pieces nailed on, pretty much, I think, since the teacher I have for this side is so good. Only thing I'm struggling with is the "easy" part; pastiches. I understand what they are, but I can't seem to get top marks on any practice ones I write, they're like 12/20 sort of marks.
Original post by EmreCan
Anyone have any tips for Question 3 (Comparison Question) on Paper 1? Like how to structure it and what to include? Thanks.

My teacher always said to begin any, and all, comparisons by referencing the box at the top of the anthology, which gives the contextual information, as it's a good starting point in identifying what you're comparing and are about to talk about.

e.g.
(This was my opening paragraph for a comparison I did on Julia Gillard's speech and Russell Brand's evidence to Parliament):
Julia Gillard's speech to Parliament, and Russell Brand's evidence to Parliament both came in 2012, however they were for very different reasons. Julia Gillard was there to defend the speaker, Peter Slipper, against Tony Abbott's motion to remove him whereas Russell Brand gave evidence over inquiries into the drugs policy.

As for comparison points, I'd usually state the difference/similarity, followed up by what device highlights that, link with a quote, and, most importantly, why they used this device or said this/that.

Hope this is of help, and not too different to what you've been taught anyways.
Also, make sure you balance the number of literary and linguistic devices used in points, for that comparison, I used too many literary devices, as opposed to linguistic.
is anyone regretting taking engish at this point? what should I be revising for paper one? Basic terminology of course but what are you guys learning?
I was taught to CAMP each text in the opening paragraph
Context what is it?
Audience Who will read it?
Mode (or genre) multi- modal, computer mediated
Purpose What do it intend to do?
E.g. The text is the “about us” page taken from TeessideUniversity’s website, showcasing the awards and recognition it has received inan attempt to persuade students to apply to study there. The computer-mediatedtext also serves to inform “current and future partners, staff and students” ofthe high standards at Teesside.
Then state a representation as explain it with the languagelevels
E.g In the first paragraph, the text instant gives awelcoming community feel as it shows it recognises the work of the university bodyas a whole with the pronoun “our.” It demonstrates to students that they willbe recognised for their “outstanding work” and excellence.” Students can oftenfeel overlooked when it comes to whole school achievement whereas TeessideUniversity shows their intention of making everyone feel included and valued fortheir efforts. His would definitely push students to apply as well as encouragenew staff to apply to work there.

There text is also representative of the intelligence of itsstaff and future students. With its formal register and low frequency lexissuch as “accreditation” and “excellence” it sets a benchmark for they standardof student they accept onto their courses. While this could be off-putting tosome, it demonstrates that the university is constantly striving to achieve andonly the best students will do. Again it promotes the high standards to studentsand staff.

This was taken from an assessment I did in class. I got an Aon both analysis questions and a D on the comparison (my timekeeping sucks so Inever get close to finishing) but I averaged out at a B. We analysed thiswebpage: http://www.tees.ac.uk/sections/about/university/achievements.cfm

I hope this helps with structuring.:h:
Since people seem to be talking about purpose and acronyms of the sort, I was taught 'GAP'; Genre, Audience, Purpose.
How do people make sure they dont comment on the same things in the comparison to the individual answers? I want a B in this as I'm dropping!
Original post by 10studentlife
How do people make sure they dont comment on the same things in the comparison to the individual answers? I want a B in this as I'm dropping!

I'm pretty sure i'm going to fail this subject because i've got my Psychology paper 2 (the hardest) on the same day and i'll probably not revise for English... But i really want to drop Psychology and continue with English because Business and Psychology are two very hard subjects together so i want to only focus on Business but i want a good grade in Psychology as i'm dropping it! Ahhhh:frown:
Original post by claudiamendes
I'm pretty sure i'm going to fail this subject because i've got my Psychology paper 2 (the hardest) on the same day and i'll probably not revise for English... But i really want to drop Psychology and continue with English because Business and Psychology are two very hard subjects together so i want to only focus on Business but i want a good grade in Psychology as i'm dropping it! Ahhhh:frown:

The struggles!! Atleast its two out of the way in a day though!

I was under the impression that it was okay to used the same things in the comparison and the individual answers. Our teachers were told it was okay when they went on a training course for the exam.
Reply 33
Ah ok thanks. Do you have an idea of what is best to look for first when analysing the texts individually? Framework wise

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lauren_rose99
I was under the impression that it was okay to used the same things in the comparison and the individual answers. Our teachers were told it was okay when they went on a training course for the exam.

My teacher didn't say the same thing.
Original post by EmreCan
Ah ok thanks. Do you have an idea of what is best to look for first when analysing the texts individually? Framework wise

Posted from TSR Mobile

I annotate them, see what stands out as the most interesting to talk about, then apply it to a representation. It's more just seeing what stands out to you and that you can write confidently about, or at least that's how I do it
Original post by EmreCan

Posted from TSR Mobile

In terms of the graphology, I guess looking at how text is laid out, if there's typography of any sort, etc...
My teacher didn't say the same thing.

I've never been told not to so I don't think it's a problem.
Reply 38
Anyone have any tips on how to revise for Paper 1? I'm literally just annotating texts and writing up responses
Paper 1 (Monday) will have two texts (adverts, articles, posters) and you have to analyse the language levels used for both texts and then compare them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending