The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

When something goes wrong find out why and sort it out is normally how it works.
In what way are you suggesting? In terms of engineering, security or staff training?

I have a feeling that this thread is a response to yesterday's tragedy, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Until we know for sure what the cause of that was, it's a bit silly to comment on what could've been done better.
Reply 3
Aviation is, statistically, the safest form of travel. You're over a thousand times more likely to be killed in a road accident than in a plane crash.
Original post by Alexion
Aviation is, statistically, the safest form of travel. You're over a thousand times more likely to be killed in a road accident than in a plane crash.

What a relevant answer to this question
Reply 5
Original post by SalazarSlytherin
What a relevant answer to this question

I'm just pointing out that it's irrational to be afraid while flying.
Original post by Tawheed
I am terrified of planes, fearing the worst everytime i am on one.

How can we make aviation safer? Any ideas?

I believe security staff should be screened more, monitored more, and pilots paid more and have more mental health-checks. I also believe there should be tougher security, and people who buy tickets should know the age of the plane they are going on, and the experience of the pilot.

all we can do is learn from the mistakes that are made in an attempt not to repeat them

but currently this is still one of the safest ways to travel
Original post by Alexion
I'm just pointing out that it's irrational to be afraid while flying.

OP never said he/she was scared of driving.

To answer the question though, to make flying safer they should just ditch the DC10
Reply 8
You seen fight club? Just remember the oxygen gets you high enough you won't even feel a thing, unless it's a sudden catastrophic fault in which case they won't have time to deploy the oxygen masks.
Original post by Tawheed

I believe security staff should be screened more, monitored more, and pilots paid more and have more mental health-checks. I also believe there should be tougher security, and people who buy tickets should know the age of the plane they are going on, and the experience of the pilot.

Pilots and air staff should be armed in order to take down terrorist attacks when they occur
Reply 10
Original post by SalazarSlytherin
OP never said he/she was scared of driving.

To answer the question though, to make flying safer they should just ditch the DC10

what's that?
Personally, guns on a pressurized metal can, 30,000ft above ground sounds like a really bad idea. Infact any form of weaponry does. What if terrorists manage to get their hands on them?
I think we should ensure anyone who's ever had links with terrorist activities shouldn't be able to go anywhere near a plane in the first place.
Get rid of Islam.
Just make a sign and put it on the doors
'Please don't commit terrorist attacks'
Original post by GwynLordOfCinder
Personally, guns on a pressurized metal can, 30,000ft above ground sounds like a really bad idea. Infact any form of weaponry does. What if terrorists manage to get their hands on them?
I think we should ensure anyone who's ever had links with terrorist activities shouldn't be able to go anywhere near a plane in the first place.

They already do, don't they? Have terrorists in the past taken over the plane with a spoon?

Newsflash: It doesn't always work
Yes, but I certainly wouldn't feel any safer knowing that every flight I was on had weapons aboard it. I think it would make it easier for terrorism, or even random acts of violent crime aboard the aircraft to occur. I wouldn't be against bouncer type security guards however.

Yes it doesn't always work, but that's where I feel the majority of our resources needs to go. Stop the problem at the roots.
Original post by GwynLordOfCinder
Yes, but I certainly wouldn't feel any safer knowing that every flight I was on had weapons aboard it. I think it would make it easier for terrorism, or even random acts of violent crime aboard the aircraft to occur. I wouldn't be against bouncer type security guards however.

Yes it doesn't always work, but that's where I feel the majority of our resources needs to go. Stop the problem at the roots.

How so? Do you realise the average laptop battery could be modified into an explosive with the right engineering knowledge and equipment? Would you feel unsafe if there were laptops present on the aeroplane too?

I just feel that the pilot and staff having handguns and being properly trained in how to use and aim them could stop a lot of terrorists in their tracks.

Don't they screen people already? Considering most terrorists of the Islamic persuasion tend to be western raised and educated with no prior history of violence how would you tell if they were terrorists? You see what I mean? Terrorists don't always look like what you expect them to be
(edited 7 years ago)
There is NO situation in which a handgun can be appropriately and safely used in an aircraft by cabin crew.
Original post by Tawheed

I am on the verge of quitting flying
Original post by Tawheed

Are you happy being a car passenger? There are more fatal car crashes per person in car per year than fatal plane crashes per passenger per year so it's safer flying than being in a car! (hope that has the effect of making flying less scary rather than putting you off cars for life...)

Latest

Trending

Trending