The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE The Woman in Black 2016 *official thread*

As I am unable to find any thread for the woman in black, I'd thought I'd start a new one. The exam is fast approaching with nerves latched upon the very idea of the test so let's try and anticipate what comes up. Any predictions?

Last year was quite horrible (asking about motherly figures) so will the examiners be nicer?

I personally hope the question asks about one of the following:
- The Gothic theme
- The narration of the novel
- The importance of names in the novel (e.g. names of characters, settings or chapters)

Does anyone have their own predictions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think it might be on settings? Like talking about the fog and stuff - or it might be focused on a chapter, I don't think it will be specifically on the Gothic because we don't need to write about context, right?
Original post by etata
I think it might be on settings? Like talking about the fog and stuff - or it might be focused on a chapter, I don't think it will be specifically on the Gothic because we don't need to write about context, right?

The chance of the 'gothic nature' being a question is highly unlikely, due to the simple fact that bringing in the way it is written- as, indeed, a pastiche of the gothic genre; such an aspect is only brought in as the contextual side of it.

That's not to say it might not ask about how, say, the use of pathetic fallacy portrays and reflects off of the gothic nature of the book, but they won't ask about the gothic genre only.
Reply 3
Original post by TeenPolyglot
The chance of the 'gothic nature' being a question is highly unlikely, due to the simple fact that bringing in the way it is written- as, indeed, a pastiche of the gothic genre; such an aspect is only brought in as the contextual side of it.

That's not to say it might not ask about how, say, the use of pathetic fallacy portrays and reflects off of the gothic nature of the book, but they won't ask about the gothic genre only.

That's true, I think weather could certainly be something that comes up, probably in a specific chapter though rather than throughout. Also, methods to create suspense, other than that I'm not sure what they could ask, do you have any predictions?
Original post by etata
That's true, I think weather could certainly be something that comes up, probably in a specific chapter though rather than throughout. Also, methods to create suspense, other than that I'm not sure what they could ask, do you have any predictions?

I'm reckoning it will be how a character is shown over the story, the effect of ___________ upon Kipps, or, if they're friendly to us, a theme- maybe the surroundings, the conflict between Kipps and the Woman...could be anything.
Reply 5
I'm reckoning it will be how a character is shown over the story, the effect of ___________ upon Kipps, or, if they're friendly to us, a theme- maybe the surroundings, the conflict between Kipps and the Woman...could be anything.

Mmhm, I don't know if they'll ask another question about Kipps through, because he came up the year before last I think. I hope the character of the woman in black comes up, she's so much easier to write about
Reply 6
Original post by etata

I know that Eel Marsh House has already come up as a setting and the fog was on a specimen paper so I'm rather dubious about the question orientating around either of those. However, another setting could be asked (e.g. Monk's Piece). I would also like it to be about either the Landlord or Mr Jerome
Original post by etata
Mmhm, I don't know if they'll ask another question about Kipps through, because he came up the year before last I think. I hope the character of the woman in black comes up, she's so much easier to write about

I haven't really grasped the Woman in Black- the book in itself isn't something I absolutely love, but I haven't been able to find many ways to actually write about her...
Reply 8
I haven't really grasped the Woman in Black- the book in itself isn't something I absolutely love, but I haven't been able to find many ways to actually write about her...

How are you revising for the exam and how many times have you read The Woman in Black?
Reply 9
Original post by Redcoats
I know that Eel Marsh House has already come up as a setting and the fog was on a specimen paper so I'm rather dubious about the question orientating around either of those. However, another setting could be asked (e.g. Monk's Piece). I would also like it to be about either the Landlord or Mr Jerome

Oh, didn't realise the fog was on a specimen paper. Damn. That would've been a good question. But maybe, although the character of the Landlord is really narrow and there isn't a whole lot you can say, I don't think it would prove to be thrilling reading for the examiners either. Jerome's viable for sure, I didn't even think about that
How are you revising for the exam and how many times have you read The Woman in Black?

Well, I haven't really done any revision at all for any subjects if I'm honest, but I have only read it once. The character as a being isn't particularly difficult to understand, it's just analysing her presence and meaning that is the difficult part.
Reply 11
Original post by etata
Oh, didn't realise the fog was on a specimen paper. Damn. That would've been a good question. But maybe, although the character of the Landlord is really narrow and there isn't a whole lot you can say, I don't think it would prove to be thrilling reading for the examiners either. Jerome's viable for sure, I didn't even think about that

The chapter Jerome is Afraid is an absolute goldmine for analysis of Jerome's character. How many times have you read the book?
Reply 12

I know where you're coming from, neither have I, it really is a pastiche in the true meaning of the word and for that reason it doesn't have the same quality of writing or plot as, say, Of Mice and Men. But the Gothic itself is such an interesting genre, and even if Hill didn't intent to (she didn't), she used loads of Gothic conventions: like the sublime and the theme of the supernatural realm, things like that
Reply 13
Well, I haven't really done any revision at all for any subjects if I'm honest, but I have only read it once. The character as a being isn't particularly difficult to understand, it's just analysing her presence and meaning that is the difficult part.

Do you want to practice? I can give a quote about the Woman in Black and a question and we can ultimately tear it to shreds with analysis...
Reply 14
Do you want to practice? I can give a quote about the Woman in Black and a question and we can ultimately tear it to shreds with analysis...

I'm down for helping, haha, need all the practise I can get
Reply 15
Original post by etata
I know where you're coming from, neither have I, it really is a pastiche in the true meaning of the word and for that reason it doesn't have the same quality of writing or plot as, say, Of Mice and Men. But the Gothic itself is such an interesting genre, and even if Hill didn't intent to (she didn't), she used loads of Gothic conventions: like the sublime and the theme of the supernatural realm, things like that

Totally agree; I feel as if the book almost had a few accidental moments of genius and other moments of dwindling interest! There are loads of conventions of the Gothic and some are really complex, such as the Oedipus Complex, Repetitive compulsion and more. That's why I was hoping for a question on it, but we have seen how it's unlikely to materialise in the exam.
Reply 16
Totally agree; I feel as if the book almost had a few accidental moments of genius and other moments of dwindling interest! There are loads of conventions of the Gothic and some are really complex, such as the Oedipus Complex, Repetitive compulsion and more. That's why I was hoping for a question on it, but we have seen how it's unlikely to materialise in the exam.

Wow, you really know the Gothic. But yeah, I agree - something to throw in there to impress the examiner though, for sure. And you can pretty much relate it to anything in the story, nice
Reply 17
To make it as difficult as possible, here's a really short quote for practise:

How does Hill present the Woman in Black in the following?

"It seemed, only the thinnest layer of flesh was tautly stretched across her bones, so that it gleamed with a curious, blue-white sheen, and her eyes seemed sunken back into her head."
Reply 18
Kipps' first person narration adds to the compelling power of the description, macabre imagery in 'thinnest layer of flesh' opens the scope for the supernatural, combined by revulsion evoked in her skin being 'tautly' streched over 'bones'- heavily evocative of death. The reader can sense that the woman is neither dead nor alive, the insight Kipps lacked at the time, as represented by the 'blue-white sheen'- where sibilants create an aura of something ethereal. Which Kipps perceives as 'curious'- instead of repulsion, our Gothic protagonist is almost seduced by this image of death. Hill creates the context for his demise.
Reply 19
Original post by etata
Kipps' first person narration adds to the compelling power of the description, macabre imagery in 'thinnest layer of flesh' opens the scope for the supernatural, combined by revulsion evoked in her skin being 'tautly' streched over 'bones'- heavily evocative of death. The reader can sense that the woman is neither dead nor alive, the insight Kipps lacked at the time, as represented by the 'blue-white sheen'- where sibilants create an aura of something ethereal. Which Kipps perceives as 'curious'- instead of repulsion, our Gothic protagonist is almost seduced by this image of death. Hill creates the context for his demise.

Nice. Can you give one for me?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending