The Student Room Group

What topics are NOT in the non calculator paper in GCSE maths?

Hello,
I'm sorry if it seems like a stupid question, but maths is my weakest subject! i'm trying to limit down my revision for maths because, I've got so many other subjects to revise for and i feel like i'm spending too much time on maths. Is there any chance any could just give me a list of topics that won't appear on the non calculator paper? or can any topic appear really? thanks for any help.
Original post by tkb661998
Hello,
I'm sorry if it seems like a stupid question, but maths is my weakest subject! i'm trying to limit down my revision for maths because, I've got so many other subjects to revise for and i feel like i'm spending too much time on maths. Is there any chance any could just give me a list of topics that won't appear on the non calculator paper? or can any topic appear really? thanks for any help.

Hi,
I am also currently doing GCSEs but both my exams are calculator papers. So maybe you should say what board you do? Or check on the specification for that board because if both papers have different topics it would probably say it on there.
Hello!
I'm also taking the Maths Paper and had these exact thoughts. I'll show you my though process:

Anything involving sin(), cos() and tan() - This removes Trig/SOHCAHTOA - You need to remember that Pythagoras can still come up, just with basic numbers.

Advanced Volume - one of like a cone or anything requiring you to multiply large decimals.

Trial and Improvement (thank god) - Obviously, you can't really calculate 53.64 cubed.

Direct/Inverse Proportion - Little bit of a tricky one, came up on one of the past papers I have done, it has the potential I guess.

-- What to revise?
Looking at the past papers from the past 4 years, I've found that some topics always come up.

Surds - Factorising or 'proving that x ='
Circle Theorems - Usually comes up as a simple 3 marker at the beginning or a 6marker on something like alt segment theory
Ratio and Proportion - Pretty much a standard thing to expect 'daisy has 100g of cake mix, butter and flour in ratio 3:6'
Cumulative Freq - Usually a multiple ( a, b, c) part question, requiring you to fill in a table and then complete a graph
Box Plots - Majority of papers I've done have these on, either creating one or analysing them for IQR etc.
Vectors - Sometimes come up, usually its either again a 3-4 marker for a simple what is BA or is a show how these are parallel
Completing the square - Standard really, 'put 3x + 6x +21 into the formula'
Simultaneous Equations - Always a damn one of these, usually towards the back of the paper

These are not all the topics that can come up obviously, it would be good to check the exam board spec- for all the topics you need to know.
If you're having any problems, I suggest checking out the YT Channel 'HegartyMaths' - He has a playlist on all the essential GCSE Higher topics, really good for revision!

Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by CyberJake
Hello!
I'm also taking the Maths Paper and had these exact thoughts. I'll show you my though process:

Anything involving sin(), cos() and tan() - This removes Trig/SOHCAHTOA - You need to remember that Pythagoras can still come up, just with basic numbers.

Advanced Volume - one of like a cone or anything requiring you to multiply large decimals.

Trial and Improvement (thank god) - Obviously, you can't really calculate 53.64 cubed.

Direct/Inverse Proportion - Little bit of a tricky one, came up on one of the past papers I have done, it has the potential I guess.

-- What to revise?
Looking at the past papers from the past 4 years, I've found that some topics always come up.

Circle Theorems - Usually comes up as a simple 3 marker at the beginning or a 6marker on something like alt segment theory
Ratio and Proportion - Pretty much a standard thing to expect 'daisy has 100g of cake mix, butter and flour in ratio 3:6'
Cumulative Freq - Usually a multiple ( a, b, c) part question, requiring you to fill in a table and then complete a graph
Box Plots - Majority of papers I've done have these on, either creating one or analysing them for IQR etc.
Vectors - Sometimes come up, usually its either again a 3-4 marker for a simple what is BA or is a show how these are parallel
Simultaneous Equations - Always a damn one of these, usually towards the back of the paper

These are not all the topics that can come up obviously, it would be good to check the exam board spec- for all the topics you need to know.
If you're having any problems, I suggest checking out the YT Channel 'HegartyMaths' - He has a playlist on all the essential GCSE Higher topics, really good for revision!

Thank you so much!! This really helped me :smile:
In reality, anything can come up on a non-calculator paper other than topics that require you to use Sin Cos Tan.

Tough decimals can be given in fractions to test your skills there and also the question could ask you to give your answer in terms of pi.
Original post by CrazyFool229
In reality, anything can come up on a non-calculator paper other than topics that require you to use Sin Cos Tan.

Tough decimals can be given in fractions to test your skills there and also the question could ask you to give your answer in terms of pi.

I can agree with that, instead of working out a numerical answer, they ask for one in Pi. Really annoying :P
Hello!

-- What to revise?

I appreciate that mate
Advanced Volume - one of like a cone or anything requiring you to multiply large decimals

Try the June 2015 paper, Question 23.
Yeah, there will be absolutely nothing on Sin, Cos and Tan trigonometry, so you don't need to worry about the triangles involving SOHCAHTOA, nor do you need to worry about the Sine and Cosine rules if you're doing higher.

However, there may be a question on f(x) graphs, as they just require theoretical movement- f(x-2) doesn't require a calculator, just the knowledge that you add 2 to the x.
As the previous poster said, anything that involves unusual calculations, such as 4/3 pi r^3.

Also, it is highly unlikely that arcs and sectors will come up BUT I am sure for a fact that it will come up in the calculator paper.

Typically, non-calculator questions won't be particularly difficult; the main skill they're testing, really, is how well you can calculate and do maths when you haven't got a calculator.
Trig can still come up in a way.
One of the papers I did gave the value for sin75 or something and you had to relate that to the triangle they gave :smile:
Original post by surina16
Trig can still come up in a way.
One of the papers I did gave the value for sin75 or something and you had to relate that to the triangle they gave :smile:

In that instance you aren't really using the sin function, it's almost the same as stating that 'x =' a number. I just think it's designed to trick people, I mean - On my first glance I'd panic and look at the front of the paper to see it really was a non calc :P
Try to just do as many non calc past papers as possible before the exam
Trig can still come up as there are fixed values for sin(0) to sin(90) for non calc papers, same with cos and tan. You just have to remember them
It’s on the exams syllabus online or ask teacher. Cosine/sine rule, trigonometry and subjects that actually require won’t be in though
Pretty much anything/everything can come up on non-calc paper. Including trig (as Flossy said, above).
I'm pretty sure that a difficult simultaneous trig question involving cosine rule has been seen on a previous non-calc paper.

Same with a calc paper where there are often questions along lines of "Show that [add 2 fractions] = [result]" . Of course it needn't be just fractions in this type of question.

What you can do after each exam, is decide what topics have already been covered, which most-likely (but not 100% certainly!) means they won't be tested again.
Reply 15
Hello!

-- What to revise?

and probality
Reply 16
Hey! It really depends on what year/ grade you’re in. And your teacher should have listed the topics that there would be, to help with revision. If not, go through your maths book, and see which topics require a calculator, and what not. Maths is a really important subject, so you kind of HAVE to be bothered to do it. Hope this helps,
- M

Quick Reply

Latest