The Student Room Group

The Official OCR English Literature H072/H472 Predictions and Discussion Thread (AS)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rhythmical
The Merchant's Tale was okay, I found that doing the Tempest was way easier but when they asked for the portrayal of three characters, I struggled as there was not enough time but the passage was good, that paper was easy. And for the Bloody Chamber, I reckon it is about feminism or how Carter links love/infatuation through dominance maybe?

I think it could be a monstrosity question or how is the idea of transgression/ uncanny is explored throughout the stories
Original post by Pato1
Can someone tell me what the tempest questions were exactly?

I reckon number one was how does the play explore fatherhood and the second one was, 'Caliban is nothing more than a "savage and deformed slave,"' I chose the second one.
Original post by OddFuturez
I think it could be a monstrosity question or how is the idea of transgression/ uncanny is explored throughout the stories

Maybe yeah. Is metamorphosis likely to appear too?
How did it go for you guys? What questions did you do?
Maybe yeah. Is metamorphosis likely to appear too?

Oh that would be a decent question I think. I'm prob gonna fail because my teacher made 3 questions and I got Ds so... 😂😂
Oh that would be a decent question I think. I'm prob gonna fail because my teacher made 3 questions and I got Ds so... 😂😂

A D isn't bad at all but I reckon boundaries will be low for grades. What stories out of the collection of Carter's are you most confident on?
Reply 86
I reckon number one was how does the play explore fatherhood and the second one was, 'Caliban is nothing more than a "savage and deformed slave,"' I chose the second one.

That's a very easy tempest question :smile: Hope you talked about colonialism
A D isn't bad at all but I reckon boundaries will be low for grades. What stories out of the collection of Carter's are you most confident on?

Probably just bloody chamber and the werewolf lolz
Original post by Pato1
That's a very easy tempest question :smile: Hope you talked about colonialism

Of course, it was the basis of my actual essay, and the fact that Prospero turned his back on Caliban when he attempted to rape Miranda and did not teach him right from wrong etc. What did you choose?
Probably just bloody chamber and the werewolf lolz

Ah see The Bloody Chamber is the easiest, go for Wolf-Alice and the Company of Wolves too, as well as the Snow Child as it is under two pages long.
Reply 90
Of course, it was the basis of my actual essay, and the fact that Prospero turned his back on Caliban when he attempted to rape Miranda and did not teach him right from wrong etc. What did you choose?

I'm an A2 student on the old OCR spec too who is also doing The Tempest, just wandering what they gave you guys
Ah see The Bloody Chamber is the easiest, go for Wolf-Alice and the Company of Wolves too, as well as the Snow Child as it is under two pages long.

Haha yeah,those predicted grade boundaries you put up are really high haha :smile:
Haha yeah,those predicted grade boundaries you put up are really high haha :smile:

Are they? What grade boundaries do you go by? My teacher based them on last year's percentage and then had a guesstimate really.

Original post by Pato1
I'm an A2 student on the old OCR spec too who is also doing The Tempest, just wandering what they gave you guys

Ah right. Yeah it was easy and I am surprised I had it in me to revise all this last night and actually put it into use, I was worried my quotes would be irrelevant.
Oh fair enough but 56-60 for an A and so on looks really high but they will be lowered I guess
Oh fair enough but 56-60 for an A and so on looks really high but they will be lowered I guess

Yeah I know, it's odd. We can only but guess what the boundaries will be.
Original post by WilliamJFA
How did it go for you guys? What questions did you do?

Went okay I guess just thinking of points I left out now ! I did Hamlet the question on thought intervening with action and then the Chaucer extract.
Original post by Natashja
Went okay I guess just thinking of points I left out now ! I did Hamlet the question on thought intervening with action and then the Chaucer extract.

I did that all day, however everyone will have done stuff differently, no point worrying about it. :frown:
I did that all day, however everyone will have done stuff differently, no point worrying about it. :frown:

Exactly there is a lot to talk about, but remember we have a time limit so as long as ur showing analysis you should get marks, its not about how much u write, i think...
Original post by Minantan
Exactly there is a lot to talk about, but remember we have a time limit so as long as ur showing analysis you should get marks, its not about how much u write, i think...

True, as long as you've done the best you can do and show that you've understood the text then you should be okay. :smile:
What do you talk about for Wolf-Alice?

Quick Reply

Latest