The Student Room Group

Personality disorders: my experience

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ValeriaMGD
Thank you for sharing your story. Sending you hugs. I suffer from anxiety, and used to have ED as well. What helped me the most was exercise (finding something I love, set goals and work everyday towards it while enjoying it) and my boyfriend (unconditional support). I've been 2 years ED-free and 10 months of no self-harm! Keep going :smile:

Hiya and thank you. :hugs: I go to the gym weekly and I take a long walk weekly, but I find exercise doesn't help much, even though I have targets. It's just a distraction for around 15 minutes and then I get bored of it (even though I stick each session/walk out). Congratulations to you though, that's great!
Original post by Airmed
Hiya and thank you. :hugs: I go to the gym weekly and I take a long walk weekly, but I find exercise doesn't help much, even though I have targets. It's just a distraction for around 15 minutes and then I get bored of it (even though I stick each session/walk out). Congratulations to you though, that's great!

I think it's not exercise itself, the point is finding something you really enjoy. For example, I used to work out on the machines and walk on the treadmill and it was extremely boring. I did it because I was obsessed with being skinny, not because I liked going to the gym. I discovered crossfit two years later when I moved to another town and only then I started to enjoy exercising and actually went to the gym because it really felt good :smile:
It doesn't have to be exercise, it can be painting, singing, dancing, play a sport, writing, doing yoga, play with your pet if you have one... Just try to find something that makes you happy, and dedicate a part of the day to that activity :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by ValeriaMGD
I think it's not exercise itself, the point is finding something you really enjoy. For example, I used to work out on the machines and walk on the treadmill and it was extremely boring. I did it because I was obsessed with being skinny, not because I liked going to the gym. I discovered crossfit two years later when I moved to another town and only then I started to enjoy exercising and actually went to the gym because it really felt good :smile:
It doesn't have to be exercise, it can be painting, singing, dancing, play a sport, writing, doing yoga, play with your pet if you have one... Just try to find something that makes you happy, and dedicate a part of the day to that activity :smile:

I'm trying, believe me on that, but it's much harder than everyone thinks.

Apologies, I'm in a rather miserable mood. :colondollar:
Thanks for sharing :smile:

Thankfully you have meaningful support.
Thanks for sharing! I love how everyone is getting brave enough to share about their MH.

It's nice knowing you're not the only one struggling with mental health problems but then also quite sad because I don't want anyone to have to go through this :frown:
Reply 25
Original post by ByronicHero
Thanks for sharing :smile:

Thankfully you have meaningful support.

Just so you know, I don't dance for him either. :moon:

(Thanks for reading. :hugs:)

Original post by StrawbAri
Thanks for sharing! I love how everyone is getting brave enough to share about their MH.

It's nice knowing you're not the only one struggling with mental health problems but then also quite sad because I don't want anyone to have to go through this :frown:

I think this is the most indepth I've been on TSR although I do post in MHSS a bit.

Thank you :hugs:
Original post by Airmed
Just so you know, I don't dance for him either. :moon:

(Thanks for reading. :hugs:)

I think this is the most indepth I've been on TSR although I do post in MHSS a bit.

Thank you :hugs:

Then I must team up with him to coerce you such that we might both indulge in the benefits :lol:

No problem :h:
Reply 27
Original post by Anonymous
I have BPD and it's draining me so much...

Hiya,

I'm so sorry to hear this. :hugs: I know how you feel, I've been there. Are you receiving any treatment or on any medication? If you need a chat, my inbox is always open. :hugs:

Cesca :h:
Reply 28
Bumping this thread because it is World Mental Health Day! :woo: Please ask any questions you have on my experience, or about mental health in general. :h:
Reply 29
Bumping this thread again because it is Mental Health Awareness Week 2017 (how does time fly, oh wow!) I will be doing another thread for MHAW17 tomorrow, but this one is a goodie, so please ask anything :yep:
How do you approach talking to somebody about having a personality disorder? I've been to see my university psychiatrist people twice. The first time I went I brought up BPD but he said he didn't think I had it because I 'didn't have the upbrining' (Bearing in mind that I didn't tell him everything about my upbringing) and possibly because I wasn't self-harming. I refused meds when he offered them and after that he gave me some 'life advice' (that I already do/did) and sent me on my want after our second meeting.

Fast-forward a few months I went back to see the people because I'd gone downhilll so much and also started self harming. I asked for somebody new and she was a lot better but she, on the other hand, said she didn't think meds would help and signed me up for group therapy too but didn't ask for a follow up to that meeting.

I've been looking into things, as you do, and I've looked into BPD and I match every single criteria as well as the typical characteristics of a 'Quiet Borderline'. I'm optimistic about group therapy but I still kinda feel like I need to talk to somebody about it but I don't know who. The first guy I saw kinda scared me off sharing my opinion. Any advice? :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by Anonymous
How do you approach talking to somebody about having a personality disorder? I've been to see my university psychiatrist people twice. The first time I went I brought up BPD but he said he didn't think I had it because I 'didn't have the upbrining' (Bearing in mind that I didn't tell him everything about my upbringing) and possibly because I wasn't self-harming. I refused meds when he offered them and after that he gave me some 'life advice' (that I already do/did) and sent me on my want after our second meeting.

Fast-forward a few months I went back to see the people because I'd gone downhilll so much and also started self harming. I asked for somebody new and she was a lot better but she, on the other hand, said she didn't think meds would help and signed me up for group therapy too but didn't ask for a follow up to that meeting.

I've been looking into things, as you do, and I've looked into BPD and I match every single criteria as well as the typical characteristics of a 'Quiet Borderline'. I'm optimistic about group therapy but I still kinda feel like I need to talk to somebody about it but I don't know who. The first guy I saw kinda scared me off sharing my opinion. Any advice? :smile:

Hey :hugs:

I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling. Psychiatrists are really hit and miss, I have realised. I would say if you found the second psychiatrist to be more receptive to you, then see if you can make an appointment with her again. Just try to explain how you feel (i.e. the criteria) and try to be honest and frank. Psychiatrists can be wrong, just like your first psychiatrist.

Medication isn't for everyone (I'm an example of that) but it's good to hear that you are optimistic about group therapy.

Quick Reply

Latest