GCSE Astronomy

Anyone doing this on Friday? Edexcel GCSE Astronomy

Scroll to see replies

I am, but I feel so unprepared
Reply 2
Original post by metausername
I am, but I feel so unprepared

same, how was coursework
Absolutely terrible. I managed to get a high A somehow, but one of my mates who is usually good at these sorts of things got a low E. Our teacher gave us no help whatsoever.
Did you have better luck?
Reply 4
I'm doing it too. I dunno if I'm ready :/
How did it go for you guys, I thought it was a pretty hard paper...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lilacpotato
How did it go for you guys, I thought it was a pretty hard paper...

Posted from TSR Mobile

it was nothing like the other past papers, do you think grade boundaries will drop
Original post by astronomer99
it was nothing like the other past papers, do you think grade boundaries will drop

I agree - I hope so! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
My son sat the paper and also thought it was much harder than previous ones. He felt some of the wording on a couple of the questions was very confusing. What kind of marks are you all getting for the coursework? He is the only candidate in his school so has no comparisons!
Perhaps the grade boundaries will be lower as someone suggests.
Original post by astronomer99

i didnt have a clue about the Black hole questions and that table was just impossible about the declination and all that
Original post by Ujjwal Dhakal
i didnt have a clue about the Black hole questions and that table was just impossible about the declination and all that

Gravitational microlensing
When the light from a distant object is bent by the gravitational field of a dense area. Black holes are very dense, warping the light of any star or planet behind them.

The table about the circumpolar stars was just about applying logic.
E.g. Star with a declination of -16 at a lattitude of 16S would obviously be directly overhead. So would it ever set?
Original post by KiraTheSaviour
When the light from a distant object is bent by the gravitational field of a dense area. Black holes are very dense, warping the light of any star or planet behind them.

The table about the circumpolar stars was just about applying logic.
E.g. Star with a declination of -16 at a lattitude of 16S would obviously be directly overhead. So would it ever set?

I didn't write that. I wrote that we can see X-rays from he accretion disc of the matter heating up by frictions when entering the black hole. Yeah I put that the star was circumpolar
What did everyone get for 18b? The one about the size of the planet based on the graph?
Original post by KiraTheSaviour

For the black holes one, could you also have put about the idea that stars orbit around apparently 'nothing', showing an area of high mass - a black hole
Original post by ThomasRules
What did everyone get for 18b? The one about the size of the planet based on the graph?

I put 4500000km because the diameter of the star is 9000000, so since it covers up 50% of the star because only 50% of the light was given out, the diameter of the planet is 9000000/2 which is 4500000
GCSE Astronomy, really?

You guys must go to some amazing posh school. Nice.
Original post by Andreahdlfuente
I put 4500000km because the diameter of the star is 9000000, so since it covers up 50% of the star because only 50% of the light was given out, the diameter of the planet is 9000000/2 which is 4500000

How did you get that diameter? I did the time it took to start and stop covering the star into the distance and then averaged the two. Got 112500km
Reply 17
Original post by Kira Yagami
GCSE Astronomy, really?

You guys must go to some amazing posh school. Nice.

Not really - quite a few people do it in my school as an extra GCSE and its just your average run of the mill school.
Original post by lonyeka
Not really - quite a few people do it in my school as an extra GCSE and its just your average run of the mill school.

I guess it's just relative. My school offered nothing apart from the most standard stuff. History, geography and Btec ICT... not even GCSE ICT lol
what did everyone get for the Copernicus contribution to other early solar system theories one?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending