The Student Room Group

feeling completely useless

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It is unlikely that you will pass A levels if you've only been studying for a few months. There is a link in my signature which outlines all the alternative routes into university for people without A levels.

Bit confused re your UCAS question, have you sent your application or not? The deadline was in January, and although it is still technically possible to apply, you have left it very late so your options will be limited. Your reference can be written by an employer or someone who knows you in a professional capacity. If you really have nobody to write a reference for you then contact the universities you're applying to, explain the situation and ask if you can apply without a reference.
Original post by Snufkin
It is unlikely that you will pass A levels if you've only been studying for a few months. There is a link in my signature which outlines all the alternative routes into university for people without A levels.

Bit confused re your UCAS question, have you sent your application or not? The deadline was in January, and although it is still technically possible to apply, you have left it very late so your options will be limited. Your reference can be written by an employer or someone who knows you in a professional capacity. If you really have nobody to write a reference for you then contact the universities you're applying to, explain the situation and ask if you can apply without a reference.

Thank you. I have not made an application yet.
It sounds like you tried to rush things a bit. How did you find the content in Maths, Further Maths and Physics? What is your current level of education? How did you get through the practical components of the Physics A level? It sounds to me like you need to take a step back and figure out a longer-term plan.
Original post by Snufkin

What link?
Original post by Unkempt_One
It sounds like you tried to rush things a bit. How did you find the content in Maths, Further Maths and Physics? What is your current level of education? How did you get through the practical components of the Physics A level? It sounds to me like you need to take a step back and figure out a longer-term plan.

Thank you

I had absolutely no idea what I was running into. I had to find 6 units for Mathematics and 6 for further maths. I went through OCR specification and choose 12 units (Core 1-4, Further Pure 1-2, Mechanics 1-4, Statistics 1-2 ) at random. Finding a place to give practical exams was difficult though. Fortunately, a sixth form college accepted me as their external candidate. In fact, they recommended that if I take Edexcel specification, then they could chose easy experiments for me. So I took edexcel specification for physics.

By far I have taken Core 1, Mechanics 2 and Further Pure 1 ( Mechanics 2 was terrible) and rest of the units are yet to show themselves.

My current level of education is equivalent to AS level in Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Biology (comparable to grade between A and B grade is AS). Since taking only A2 level exams would not award me with A level certificate, I had to take all the units at one place.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tangotangopapa2
Thank you

I had absolutely no idea what I was running into. I had to find 6 units for Mathematics and 6 for further maths. I went through OCR specification and choose 12 units (Core 1-4, Further Pure 1-2, Mechanics 1-4, Statistics 1-2 ) at random. Finding a place to give practical exams was difficult though. Fortunately, a sixth form college accepted me as their external candidate. In fact, they recommended that if I take Edexcel specification, then they could chose easy experiments for me. So I took edexcel specification for physics.

By far I have taken Core 1, Mechanics 2 and Further Pure 1 ( Mechanics 2 was terrible) and rest of the units are yet to show themselves.

My current level of education is equivalent to AS level in Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Biology (comparable to grade between A and B grade is AS). Since taking only A2 level exams would not award me with A level certificate, I had to take all the units at one place.

Right. From what you've said about your education level I think A levels are probably the right thing you should be aiming for, but trying to do them all in several months is quite ambitious. Possible if you're very clever and determined but still stressful. Since your education was disrupted you might want to aim to enter a sixth form college next year and take a formal course. You might be able to arrange to start at A2 level if you do well in these exams. Alternatively you might have had your previous education on a course that can be continued in the UK, like the International Baccaleaureate, but given what you've said I doubt that's the case.

It also might help if you have a good idea of what you're aiming for to get on a course in Physics. There is quite a bit of variation in entry standards. Some just require something like 300 UCAS points (a tally equivalent to BBB from just A levels, but most UK students have other qualifications, such as a fourth AS, making it around BCC/CCC). Graduates from those courses tend to go into mixed careers including research and engineering but also a lot of non-graduate roles. On other hand you have the higher-tier research universities who usually require at least AAB, and whose graduates will mostly go into graduate roles and further research. Further Maths, one of the subjects you've studied, is a qualification that's normally only required for Mathematics but gives a good boost for students seeking to do Physics, Computer Science or Engineering. The majority of people taking it will be aiming for at least a B.

I don't think you should get yourself too down over this. You are attempting something that a lot of people couldn't handle and the fact that sixth form accepted you as an external candidate and gave you that advice shows I think they're willing to help you. For now I think you should focus as much as possible on your exams. Make sure you use past papers and the specification to get an idea of the key knowledge!
Right. From what you've said about your education level I think A levels are probably the right thing you should be aiming for, but trying to do them all in several months is quite ambitious. Possible if you're very clever and determined but still stressful. Since your education was disrupted you might want to aim to enter a sixth form college next year and take a formal course. You might be able to arrange to start at A2 level if you do well in these exams. Alternatively you might have had your previous education on a course that can be continued in the UK, like the International Baccaleaureate, but given what you've said I doubt that's the case.

It also might help if you have a good idea of what you're aiming for to get on a course in Physics. There is quite a bit of variation in entry standards. Some just require something like 300 UCAS points (a tally equivalent to BBB from just A levels, but most UK students have other qualifications, such as a fourth AS, making it around BCC/CCC). Graduates from those courses tend to go into mixed careers including research and engineering but also a lot of non-graduate roles. On other hand you have the higher-tier research universities who usually require at least AAB, and whose graduates will mostly go into graduate roles and further research. Further Maths, one of the subjects you've studied, is a qualification that's normally only required for Mathematics but gives a good boost for students seeking to do Physics, Computer Science or Engineering. The majority of people taking it will be aiming for at least a B.

I don't think you should get yourself too down over this. You are attempting something that a lot of people couldn't handle and the fact that sixth form accepted you as an external candidate and gave you that advice shows I think they're willing to help you. For now I think you should focus as much as possible on your exams. Make sure you use past papers and the specification to get an idea of the key knowledge!

Thank you so much.
Right. From what you've said about your education level I think A levels are probably the right thing you should be aiming for, but trying to do them all in several months is quite ambitious. Possible if you're very clever and determined but still stressful. Since your education was disrupted you might want to aim to enter a sixth form college next year and take a formal course. You might be able to arrange to start at A2 level if you do well in these exams. Alternatively you might have had your previous education on a course that can be continued in the UK, like the International Baccaleaureate, but given what you've said I doubt that's the case.It also might help if you have a good idea of what you're aiming for to get on a course in Physics. There is quite a bit of variation in entry standards. Some just require something like 300 UCAS points (a tally equivalent to BBB from just A levels, but most UK students have other qualifications, such as a fourth AS, making it around BCC/CCC). Graduates from those courses tend to go into mixed careers including research and engineering but also a lot of non-graduate roles. On other hand you have the higher-tier research universities who usually require at least AAB, and whose graduates will mostly go into graduate roles and further research. Further Maths, one of the subjects you've studied, is a qualification that's normally only required for Mathematics but gives a good boost for students seeking to do Physics, Computer Science or Engineering. The majority of people taking it will be aiming for at least a B.I don't think you should get yourself too down over this. You are attempting something that a lot of people couldn't handle and the fact that sixth form accepted you as an external candidate and gave you that advice shows I think they're willing to help you. For now I think you should focus as much as possible on your exams. Make sure you use past papers and the specification to get an idea of the key knowledge!

Finally, my A level exams are over. I feel like I am getting A*AC? Can I apply for high-tier Universities?
(edited 7 years ago)
Finally, my A level exams are over. I feel like I am getting A*AC? Can I apply for high-tier Universities?

Which subject do you think you're getting the C in?
Which subject do you think you're getting the C in?

In Further Maths.
In Further Maths.

Right, well better that than Physics but still not ideal. If you get these grades you've done very well considering the time-frame. If I were you I'd get back to the college who facilitated your attempt and see what their thoughts are. I think you might have a chance at ABB/AAB universities with those grades but if you take a full year in A level study you might do much better. At any rate, unless you go through clearing I think the UCAS process will take until next year anyway. On the other hand, if you do attempt clearing you might well find something to start this October, but I wouldn't be in any rush. Anyway, fingers crossed on your results.
Right, well better that than Physics but still not ideal. If you get these grades you've done very well considering the time-frame. If I were you I'd get back to the college who facilitated your attempt and see what their thoughts are. I think you might have a chance at ABB/AAB universities with those grades but if you take a full year in A level study you might do much better. At any rate, unless you go through clearing I think the UCAS process will take until next year anyway. On the other hand, if you do attempt clearing you might well find something to start this October, but I wouldn't be in any rush. Anyway, fingers crossed on your results.

I would like to apply this September for 2017 entry, and retake few units next year. But I have heard that retakes are not looked upon the same way as clearing at a go. Consider two students A and B. A attempted whole A- levels in one year while B split those into two years. Both A and B have similar AS results but A has horrible A2 grades. B has good predicted A2 grades and A would be taking few units next year. Would A be in disadvantage?
I would like to apply this September for 2017 entry, and retake few units next year. But I have heard that retakes are not looked upon the same way as clearing at a go. Consider two students A and B. A attempted whole A- levels in one year while B split those into two years. Both A and B have similar AS results but A has horrible A2 grades. B has good predicted A2 grades and A would be taking few units next year. Would A be in disadvantage?

I don't think this is very similar to your situation since only your Further Maths grade is sub-par, and you did it in two months rather than a year. You're going beyond questions I'm entirely confident at answering. In this scenario I think A would be at a disadvantage, unless A committed to a full year of schooling and did well enough in AS levels that they could confidently claim to be able to do better next year.
I don't think this is very similar to your situation since only your Further Maths grade is sub-par, and you did it in two months rather than a year. You're going beyond questions I'm entirely confident at answering. In this scenario I think A would be at a disadvantage, unless A committed to a full year of schooling and did well enough in AS levels that they could confidently claim to be able to do better next year.

Thank you so much!!!. Very helpful of you.
Not sure why you'd want to retake, unless you want to wait a year.
If you wait till you get your results and apply through clearing (or do your application now, which automatically becomes a clearing application) then I'm pretty sure you'd find suitable courses available, unless you're looking at top RG institutions.
Off top of my head, you might find York, Lancaster, Sussex, Leicester, Nottingham, QMUL, Loughborough, as well as others. UCAS clearing courses open next week so you can do your research and contact the admissions office and explain your fairly unique situation.
The other fly in the ointment may be lack of GCSE grade English altho that depends on your equivalent grades. You may have to take an international student English exam if you don't have it.
Original post by Colinj451
Not sure why you'd want to retake, unless you want to wait a year.
If you wait till you get your results and apply through clearing (or do your application now, which automatically becomes a clearing application) then I'm pretty sure you'd find suitable courses available, unless you're looking at top RG institutions.
Off top of my head, you might find York, Lancaster, Sussex, Leicester, Nottingham, QMUL, Loughborough, as well as others. UCAS clearing courses open next week so you can do your research and contact the admissions office and explain your fairly unique situation.
The other fly in the ointment may be lack of GCSE grade English altho that depends on your equivalent grades. You may have to take an international student English exam if you don't have it.

Thanks a lot for the reply!!! I previously thought that January 17 was the deadline for 2016 entry. If I wait till the results and apply/apply now through the clearing process, wouldn't it be too late to apply for accommodation and student finance. I have taken IELTS exam.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks a lot for the reply!!! I previously thought that January 17 was the deadline for 2016 entry. If I wait till the results and apply/apply now through the clearing process, wouldn't it be too late to apply for accommodation and student finance. I have taken IELTS exam.

You would now go into clearing, and depending on grades and the start dates for the chosen unis you have then you may still be looking at 3 months before you start.
Sussex is 12th Sept but Lancaster is early October I believe.
If you look at UCAS now then the courses that you are considering could well be in clearing for you to look at, maybe call the admissions depts and discuss your options.
You could look at Oxford, and I am sure plenty of people can advise on here about how likely that is.
However UCAS have 61 universities listed for Physics courses in clearing at this moment so there are plenty of options.
Student finance and accomodation shouldn't be an issue, but it can form part of your conversations with any unis that you are interested in.

You will need IELTS 6.0 to be suitable for most unis though if you don't have an English GCSE

I contacted the college who facilitated my attempt and they said that if I wish then I could retake few modules next year as an external candidate but they could neither provide me with predicated grades in Further Maths nor a reference which means I still can't apply at top institutions. Would you still recommend me to wait?

There is another problem. I will soon turn 18 and I will stop getting support from my mother. If I go through clearing I can move out straight to the university. But if I wait another year, I will have to move somewhere else. I am not sure if this should matter my decision about when to begin my course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending