The Student Room Group

Studying just characters for OMAM?

For Edexcel IGCSE there's always ONE character and ONE theme question. What if I just studied the characters really well and answered the character question, instead of studying both character & theme? I did character & theme for An inspector calls but the exam is in 3 days and I just cant even rn. Im aiming for an A*/ at the very least an A. What are your opinions please? x
Original post by gameofno
For Edexcel IGCSE there's always ONE character and ONE theme question. What if I just studied the characters really well and answered the character question, instead of studying both character & theme? I did character & theme for An inspector calls but the exam is in 3 days and I just cant even rn. Im aiming for an A*/ at the very least an A. What are your opinions please? x

I think that you shouldn't not look at anything at all. Maybe focus more on characters but look over themes too in case you don't like the character question just to be safe.
The characters and themes are always closely interlinked. For example, the theme of Loneliness is presented through the characters of Crooks and Curley's wife,
the theme of the American Dream is presented through the characters of Lennie, George and Curley's wife and so on.
So yeah, make sure you learn the characters but also make sure you learn the quotes that you could also use for a question on theme (e.g 'Ain't I got the right to talk to nobody?' For loneliness.)
I'm also doing IGCSE English, for my recent mock I got an A for my OMAM but a D for my Romeo and Juliet so I'm going to start my Romeo and Juliet revision tomorrow!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
To get the top marks even for character questions you should talk about themes. Simply if the question asks about say Candy and his role, split up your argument and talk about his role in the plight of disabled people (the theme of disability), talk about how he is powerless (another theme) instead of just going through the book in chronological order. The examiner will see this and you will be able to tick of the perceptive understanding of the novel in the mark scheme required for getting into the top mark band. I've split up my notes into character and theme, but have also linked each character to a theme where applicable.

Also there is no guarantee that there will be one question on a character and one question on a theme.
Original post by MattB_
To get the top marks even for character questions you should talk about themes. Simply if the question asks about say Candy and his role, split up your argument and talk about his role in the plight of disabled people (the theme of disability), talk about how he is powerless (another theme) instead of just going through the book in chronological order. The examiner will see this and you will be able to tick of the perceptive understanding of the novel in the mark scheme required for getting into the top mark band. I've split up my notes into character and theme, but have also linked each character to a theme where applicable.

Also there is no guarantee that there will be one question on a character and one question on a theme.

Have you not seen the paper? They always ask questions on either theme or character lmao
Reply 5
Original post by noor.m
Have you not seen the paper? They always ask questions on either theme or character lmao

Does not necessarily mean they will in the future
Original post by MattB_
Does not necessarily mean they will in the future

Read the specification lol
Reply 7
Original post by noor.m
Read the specification lol

Where in the specification does it explicitly talk about one question on character and one on theme

Also January 2013 paper was talking about two themes albeit you had to talk about one named character and another to answer one of the question

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending