The Student Room Group

I have NO work experience

How much do universities care about work experience? I want to study history and I've always been told I need work experience to impress universities but I can't find anywhere interesting that I would want to do and (I know it sounds stupid) I'm quite shy in approaching people to ask for it.

I'm definitely really interested in the subject, am I stressing about this too much or do I really need to get over it and try and get some work experience before it's too late.

I'm in year 12 btw
Reply 1
I don't think they'll care about work experience for history
Original post by StressedCoffee
How much do universities care about work experience? I want to study history and I've always been told I need work experience to impress universities but I can't find anywhere interesting that I would want to do and (I know it sounds stupid) I'm quite shy in approaching people to ask for it.

I'm definitely really interested in the subject, am I stressing about this too much or do I really need to get over it and try and get some work experience before it's too late.

I'm in year 12 btw

For a subject like history, for most universities i wouldnt worry too much about needing work experience. Reading related to the subject should be sufficient for your personal statement.
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
For a subject like history, for most universities i wouldnt worry too much about needing work experience. Reading related to the subject should be sufficient for your personal statement.

what do you think about chemistry?

more precisely chemical engineering

I'm in year 12 btw

Not that much. I know someone who has an offer from Merton College at Oxford for History, and they don't have any relevant work experience.

I got offers from 3 RG's without relevant work experience, and 5 offers overall so...
Original post by Jassy16
what do you think about chemistry?

more precisely chemical engineering

I dont think work experience would be necessary.
Reply 6
Work experience is only expected for a few courses (notably medicine).

Definitely not for History or Engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in year 12 btw

Omg. They wont even look at the employment section on your application form, you are applying for history, a very academic subject, you need to write an academic personal statement (and the required grades ofc), for which you dont need any sort of work experience. It makes no difference at all, trust me.
I wouldn't worry too much about the work experience section. I'd say for a degree such as History, they'll be focusing on your academics. So, make sure to write out all your qualifications and plan out a personal statement, as that will be what impresses a university for this particular course.

Best of luck!
Not expected for history and you would be better off being better read to show to explain what interests you about studying history.
I'm in the same boat as you, I haven't been able to find anything although I'm volunteering at a local museum for a week in the summer but thats it!

I'm in year 12 btw

For university no you don't need work experience. Just do some wider reading. However when it comes to getting a job then work experience is crucial, however a university careers centre can help you think of places to apply for & hopefully help you to be more confident applying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending