The Student Room Group

An inspector calls 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shamina31
but thats about it? so i really hope she wont come up

When I wrote this, I meant Eva.
Reply 41
I am praying that it is Gerald. Omg if it is gerald I will be jumping out of joy
Original post by danielwinstanley
When I wrote this, I meant Eva.

Hopefully she doesn't come up either

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Undec
I am praying that it is Gerald. Omg if it is gerald I will be jumping out of joy

Ahhh I have almost nothing on Gerald! Could you tell me a few points about him?
Original post by Undec

what quotes will you use for gerald?
Reply 45
Original post by 1onelove1
what quotes will you use for gerald?

the whole situation with sheila "And i've told you - i was awfully busy at the works last summer" - suspicious
" i wasn't telling a complete lie"
"women in town" - attitudes towards social class (ambiguity)
his materialistic value also

idk though
Does anyone have anything on Mrs. Birling? She's quite likely to come up tomorrow but I can't think of anything substantial to say about her.
Original post by GlassyMarbles
Does anyone have anything on Mrs. Birling? She's quite likely to come up tomorrow but I can't think of anything substantial to say about her.

She barely develops throughout the whole novel - sticks to the same capitalist values (supporting her husband).
Never takes responsibility for other's actions / Eva's death (Her own part in it).
Feels that she has done something 'amazing' by nothing 'giving in to' the Inspector.
Tries to fake or trick the Inspector by purposely not recognising the photograph shown to her - could be interpreted as she feels 'Eva' has no identity.
Very authorative and doesn't appreciate Mr Birling praising maids or lower-class people in front of an upper-class wealthy gentleman like Gerald Croft - as if it diminishes their value.
Falls into the trick of the Inspector when she actually does 'give herself in' by providing him with tons of information and blaming Eric (the father) - to avoid getting the blame herself.
She feels completely ashamed of Eric and even Gerald, however, once Gerald has sorted everything out - she changes and is proud of him!
has anyone thought about just revising themes... there's always a question on them, and you only have to include quotes from characters, and talk about all of them in general. that seems a lot easier to me?
Not sure if anyone has realised.
But, if you go in order of how each member of the Birling's family has affected Eva Smith, it should be like this:

Arthur, Sheila, Gerald, Eric and Mrs. Birling....

However, during interrogation, Eric is interrogated after Mrs. Birling.

Why could this be and what is the possible effect of this?

I feel that it is just to increase the dramatic tension as Mrs. Birling is put under immense pressure and just provides the Inspector with tons of information, putting blame on the son without acknowledging that it's her own son Eric.
In addition, it allows him to show that she pretends to be what she is not as when she finds out it is Eric, she tries to stop him from knowing that she was putting all the blame on him - but Priestley cleverly used Sheila as a person who drives the plot and makes him aware that his mother put him into more trouble.
Original post by Ella_08
So he definitely won't be coming up this year, unfortunately :/ what characters are you revising most? On second thought I might revise individual themes a bit. & ah god i hope it's not relationships

Original post by ScienceFantatic
Quoted post, yeah I have a feeling it will be relationships. The relationship between Eric and Sheila came up once. That's an awful question. I have loads to say for those two.

If it was social responsibility though....:. I think everyone would cry of happiness :biggrin:

Called it!
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Called it!

Hahha! I can't even remember typing that. I chose that question too... didn't like it
Hi everyone,
So I'm kind of freaking out because my friend told me that her teacher told her that we should have had linguistically analyzed our quotes. What I mean by that is that perhaps if a quote contained a sibilance or methapore or whatever we should have pointed it out. I did the question on Mr. birling and the inspector, but did none of the previous things, did anyone do it?
But how could you do a question about edna? She only has one line "there's an inspector for you Mr. Birling"
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 54
I wish it is sheila or social responsibility that comes out. They are my best!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending