The Student Room Group

Cie as level paper 6

Hey everyone. How many of you have gave paper 6 ( stats ) today? I gave paper 62 and it wasn't really that hard except a permutations question :s-smilie:. What about you guys? How was the paper for you? I'm very happy :biggrin: because since P 12 was so easy so I expected this to be harder :P
Reply 1
same here, definitely got that permutation and combinations question wrong but other than that everything else was pretty easy. grade boundaries must be really high.
Reply 2
Yeah true the paper was indeed too good to be true :tongue: . I think i got the permutation question right although im not quite sure.
I'm just waiting for the solutions to leak online :biggrin:
the permutations question was easy!

i got one little query though-what was your answer to no.2 where they ask for the probability for time taken between 5-10 minutes? it was of only one mark.
Reply 4
Original post by SamihaTahsin
the permutations question was easy!

i got one little query though-what was your answer to no.2 where they ask for the probability for time taken between 5-10 minutes? it was of only one mark.

We just had to subtract the 2 probabilities. So the ans was 0.72 . What was your ans to the question of "exactly 6 letters between 2 W" mine was 20160 :/
Original post by Some one
We just had to subtract the 2 probabilities. So the ans was 0.72 . What was your ans to the question of "exactly 6 letters between 2 W" mine was 20160 :/

I got 3720 but I am not really sure about it since I considered them asking us an 8 letter alphabet. But my friend said it should be a 10 letter one and if that is the case, it would become different.
Reply 6
Original post by Coloneltreavy
I got 3720 but I am not really sure about it since I considered them asking us an 8 letter alphabet. But my friend said it should be a 10 letter one and if that is the case, it would become different.

Yea we had to consider a 10 letter alphabet not 8 .

don't remember the exact value but it was pretty huge like the one you quoted. and i am quite sure mine is right, finished all the others real quick and had 25 mins to do the permutations.
Yea we had to consider a 10 letter alphabet not 8 .

Then 22320
Reply 9
Then 22320

Nah I don't think so.
We had to first consider 3Ls between 2W then 2L between 2W then 1L then add them up.
Nah I don't think so.
We had to first consider 3Ls between 2W then 2L between 2W then 1L then add them up.

This is exactly what I did.

With three Ls, you need to add a combination of 3 alphabets so 5C3
Multiply it by 6P6 because 6 numbers and divide by 3!
Repeat wit 2 L: 5C4*6P6/2!
With 1L: 5C5*6P6
We can consider W to W as a whole and 2 letters are left out so multiply the sum of previous example with 3! (This, I missed)
Reply 11
This is exactly what I did.

With three Ls, you need to add a combination of 3 alphabets so 5C3
Multiply it by 6P6 because 6 numbers and divide by 3!
Repeat wit 2 L: 5C4*6P6/2!
With 1L: 5C5*6P6
We can consider W to W as a whole and 2 letters are left out so multiply the sum of previous example with 3! (This, I missed)

Yes you're right except that for 1L we have to multiply by 3!/2! Beacuse there are 2L outside now.
Reply 12
This is how I did it:
So first 3Ls between the the 2 W so we need three more letters from 5 more so 5C3, then arranging so
5C3*(6!/3!)*3! = 7200
Then 2Ls : 5C4*(6!/2!)*3! = 10800
Then 1L : 5C5*6!*(3!/2!) = 2160
Total arrangements = 7200+10800+2160=20160.
This is how I did it:
So first 3Ls between the the 2 W so we need three more letters from 5 more so 5C3, then arranging so
5C3*(6!/3!)*3! = 7200
Then 2Ls : 5C4*(6!/2!)*3! = 10800
Then 1L : 5C5*6!*(3!/2!) = 2160
Total arrangements = 7200+10800+2160=20160.

You're right. This makes sense. I wonder if they will give me any marks :')
Reply 14
I bet you will score 2/4 marks for method (which isn't too bad)
I bet you will score 2/4 marks for method (which isn't too bad)

I dont know man. CIE is pretty strict on marking. I would assume them to give 1 mark for the 3L thing, another for 2L, and one more for L. Last mark for correct answer. That's how they usually do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending