The Student Room Group

Phone went off during exam! Help

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Kazmispawn
Thanks for your post, I have emailed my personal tutor, she replied saying I should know better. But nothing on what to expect.. I replied asking for more info ... She hasn't replied

Hope the outcome is positive!
Reply 21
everything happens for a reason :smile:
City university London

You will likely be fine then. Just see your disciplinary officer ASAP and be very polite. Usually, phones are confiscated and sent to your department for checking. If they find your notes, then it would be an issue, but if it was a genuine mistake, it will likely be a warning, with no penalty.
Emailing isn't exactly taking responsibility for your actions.

Go into your University in person and ask whom you can speak to about your predicament.

Best of luck!
Reply 24
Original post by NGBh

Thank you
Reply 25
Original post by V ugvg jhi
You will likely be fine then. Just see your disciplinary officer ASAP and be very polite. Usually, phones are confiscated and sent to your department for checking. If they find your notes, then it would be an issue, but if it was a genuine mistake, it will likely be a warning, with no penalty.

Thanks for that. Needed to hear something positive. I initially thought this but everyone on the internet scared me with their posts. Hopefully this is the case. It seems silly to cancel someone's entire exam over something like this.
Reply 26
Original post by NGBh

Thank you!
Reply 27
What the invigilator wrote on her paper she will pass on to my department is : his phone went of, he pressed a button (I pressed the lock screen) and handed it to me straightaway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm sorry but how does one not feel a massive bulge in their pocket in tight jeans?
Thanks for that. Needed to hear something positive. I initially thought this but everyone on the internet scared me with their posts. Hopefully this is the case. It seems silly to cancel someone's entire exam over something like this.

imo the silliest part of this is you having your phone on you in an exam.

You're at the mercy of your university and its your own fault, anything they give you is deserved.

good luck though.
Good luck but I will be surprised if you get away with it
So many unhelpful replies here. OP, ignore them.

I guess it's up to you and the hearing and meeting / appeal right?

Get into contact with tutors and explain the situation.

I do wish the best for you.
And I thought my life was pretty sh*t
Agreed it was technically his/her fault, but to say he/she DESERVES to get punished for this is ridiculous, so what, she accidentally left her phone in her pocket, it's not as if she was going to whip it out on the desk and start looking up answers on the Internet. If the examiners have any sort of common sense they'll know that these things happen regularly and that its just through carelessness. Honestly I think you will be fine, if your phone just went off in your pocket and you handed your phone over straight away, how can they possibly claim you were cheating? It's obviously just an honest mistake, whether you technically broke some rules or not.
Really hope this turns out alright for you, no one deserves to have their education stripped from them by some bastard examiners that have nothing better to do than void someone's exam for making an honest mistake! You didn't cheat at all, and having your phone in your pocket does not make you a cheat, whatsoever!
This is the next thing down from Self Plagiarism at university.

Uni's seem very tight.
Unfortunately many people do attempt to cheat.
You should check the university policies. You probably should have left it at home.
Original post by Luiswright31
Agreed it was technically his/her fault, but to say he/she DESERVES to get punished for this is ridiculous, so what, she accidentally left her phone in her pocket, it's not as if she was going to whip it out on the desk and start looking up answers on the Internet. If the examiners have any sort of common sense they'll know that these things happen regularly and that its just through carelessness. Honestly I think you will be fine, if your phone just went off in your pocket and you handed your phone over straight away, how can they possibly claim you were cheating? It's obviously just an honest mistake, whether you technically broke some rules or not.

I said deserves because there is a clearly set out rule, which is mentioned to students before EVERY single exam. If you still, be it through choice or carelessness, do not abide by what is such a simple and clear rule then in my opinion you deserve anything you get.

The rule is there for a reason. Did the OP cheat, or intend to cheat? No, I don't for one second think that. But the rule is there aiming to nip any potential for cheating in the bud. How can the invigilators be 100% sure that the OP wasn't going to cheat by using that phone? They can't. Leave it in your bag etc and they can. Its such a bloody clear and easy to follow rule (and given OP is a university student I presume they've been in enough exams to know the rule etc) there can really be no excuse.
(edited 7 years ago)
10 minutes to go, my phone goes off in my pocket. It was switched off but it obviously switched itself on in my tight jeans. I got a phone call and the invigilator wrote it down in her incident pad and said she'd send it off to my department.

This is my final exam at university.

What's going to happen ?? I'm really worried.

Utterly irresponsible for you to have it on you. Just why?
Why didnt you hand it in?
Why didnt you put it in your bag or a locker?
Why didnt you leave it at home?

You should know better.

Hopefully the Uni will decide you werent cheating as the inviglator may have saud they didnt see you using it rather than they discovered you with your smart phone. If it was your last exam then talk to your tutor or student rep.

Bet everyone else in the exam appreciated your phone call.

Quick Reply

Latest