The Student Room Group

The evil eye

My fellow medittaraneans,Turks,Arabs/middle easterners and everyone else..do you believe in the evil eye? Or the ayn al hasad

Do you wear a nazar bead around your neck or have them around the house as you enter or in other room? I've attached a picture of one for those that don't know what a nazar is
image.jpeg
Is this just a crazy thing that's part of our culture or does the evil eye actually exist??

Scroll to see replies

Meh.. it's all superstition :lol:
Reply 2
Original post by Indeterminate
Meh.. it's all superstition :lol:

What makes you say that? It's widely accepted in medittaranean culture even tho it originated from turkey but later spread to the ME also
Reply 3
I believe in it, i got reallly sick(lost wait weight and face became small and so on) after a bit and then they(parents) found out i got evil eye. I'm fine now it happened 2 or more times in the past couple of weeks
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by queen-bee
My fellow medittaraneans,Turks,Arabs/middle easterners and everyone else..do you believe in the evil eye? Or the ayn al hasad

Do you wear a nazar bead around your neck or have them around the house as you enter or in other room? I've attached a picture of one for those that don't know what a nazar is
image.jpeg
Is this just a crazy thing that's part of our culture or does the evil eye actually exist??

Yeah I remember the blue eye on holidays
Reply 5
Original post by M14B
Yeah I remember the blue eye on holidays

It's an amulet
What makes you say that? It's widely accepted in medittaranean culture even tho it originated from turkey but later spread to the ME also

I just find it hard to believe that you can cast some sort of a spell on someone by just looking at them in a certain way :lol:
Reply 7
Original post by OGGUS
I believe in it, i got reallly sick(lost wait weight and face became small and so on) after a bit and then they(parents) found out i got evil eye. I'm fine now it happened 2 or more times in the past couple of weeks

What happened exactly? What was the cause? Oh wow,sorry to hear that. What did you do to make it go away?
Reply 8
Original post by Indeterminate
I just find it hard to believe that you can cast some sort of a spell on someone by just looking at them in a certain way :lol:

In an evil,kinda envious way. Sounds harmful :laugh:
Yeah I do, it's part of Islam (not the actual eye people wear or hang up around their homes, but the concept)

I was surprised to read this belief is spread as far as the Balkans. Probably the Ottoman influence.
Reply 10

That really doesn't mean anything.
Reply 11
Spells can't work on followers of Christ so no creepy eye crap sacred me in the slightest.
I'm half half on this, idk.

My friends and family always tell me to be extra cautious just in case I get 'nazar' on my academic achievements, health and looks etc, and I've heard plenty of stories of people living their lives perfectly until it gets destroyed completely.
(edited 7 years ago)
This is the only evil eye I know about
Reply 14
Original post by Listers
That really doesn't mean anything.

I know it doesn't.
Reply 15
What happened exactly? What was the cause? Oh wow,sorry to hear that. What did you do to make it go away?

Basically I made vines and also (I have deleted them now) . I went to a model test shoot and i was getting lots of attention and then i became ill and depressed. Listening to ruqyah, surah rehman, Durood e taj and etc with the surah and duroods. My mum got sugar in her hand and went around then burnt it. This gets it away. What religion are you btw?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Listers
Spells can't work on followers of Christ so no creepy eye crap sacred me in the slightest.

We have the Lord as our saviour and protector
Doesn't matter where it came from or how many people believe in it, as it doesn't change what it is. And what it is, is superstition.
Reply 18
Original post by Infamous*
This is the only evil eye I know about

And this legendary one.

Remember (Jet fuel can't melt steel beams)
yep i own a blue eye thing, wearing one now and everytime something goes wrong, my mum goes "ya! you have hasad"

Quick Reply

Latest