The Student Room Group

Questions about shia-ism

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tawheed
The shia position of the companions is the same as the Qurans position. There are many we love, and revere. Many we do not hold in as high regard, but respect. Many we do not pass comment on, due to lack of knowledge or we leave judgement to Allah swt. And then there are those who we believe disobeyed the noble messenger , Muhammed s.a.w, and Allah swt, and his ahlulbayt a.s and the loyal among the sahaba r.a.

We view the Sahaba as human beings, and not just that, we view them as what you naturally would find in any large community of humans, from the previous prophets, to muslims of the latter day. Among them gems, among them good people, among them people of mixed character, among them people who became disloyal, etc.

If you look at the top ten hadith narrators in sunni schools of thought, you will find jabir ibn abdillah r.a, abu sai'd al khudri r.a, ibn abbas r.a, abdullad ibn masud r.a, who narrated an enormous bulk of the sunni hadiths we find in existence. These key companions are respected and or revered by shia's. Though we sometimes affirm false things were attributed to them.

We love and revere many many more companions, one of them is Muhammed ibn Abu Bakr, the son of the caliph, Abu Bakr. Shia's revere and love him for his loyalty to treading on the path and the sunnah , and for his loyalty to Ali ibn Abi Talib a.s. Though we have disagreements with actions commited by his father, we have enormous love and respect for him.

In terms of Umulmumineen Aisha, i'll create another post and explain our differences there.

But just to summarise my points , if i may:

In a sense, shia's do not hate the sahaba, because the sahaba are not one body or homogenous group, where one sahaba speaks for all, or one acts for all. They were a community of human beings. We agree with many, and we disagree with others.

We also do not hate the wives, because the wives are not one body. We respect ones like Lady Khadija r.a, Umm Salama r.a, Umm Sauda r.a, and many other wives of his.

Our position on them is purely by virtue of sources we deem reliable, introspection, analysis, and pursuit of the true sunnah of Muhammed s.a.w, and ascertaining who we can trust, and who we must pause and investigate further on.

You will find that many sunni brothers/sisters class hadrath Abu Talib r.a as a kaffir, and make takfir upon him, and consider a narrations stating that he will be in hellfire as authentic.

Shai's absolutely disagree with that, as do a minority of sunni's, who deem him to not only be a muslim, but one of the closest helpers of Rasullah s.a.w, who gave everything for him and without him, Islam would not have made it through the dark early days.

You're not going to find me calling those muslims i have a historical dispute with as kaffirs though. Or trying to stir up fitnah on the I-Soc.

I'm not referring to ibn fulaan here, who hasn't done that, and has used the proper means and addressed it here nor al farhan(who showed good character by making this thread and avoiding discord on the I SOC). I am ofcourse, referring to other users i won't name, who unfortunately i remember as being tolerant once. I have to say this incase people think i am referring to them.

Thanks for the in depth knowledge,but what's the deal with Aisha?
Original post by Carpe Diem Jay
I understand the meaning, just wanted some context :tongue:

Who's considered infallible to shias?

'Infallibility' does not mean someone can't sin. What it means is, there are servants Allah swt has chosen to purify and show the true reality of sin to, servants of his who are deemed with the trust of upholding this real message, from the prophets of Allah s.a.w who were all 'infallible' in the sense that they were given the ability to see sin as it was. This does not mean they could perhaps not choose the lesser of two good things.

As they held an enormous responsibility , such as Rasullah s.a.w, whose every act is regarded a sunnah, Allah swt has perfected his message , and so has enabled servants of his who represent him to see sin as it is. They can sin, they feel 'desire' in the sense they have the same huamn body as you and i, but they see sin for its disgusting true nature, and do not sin.

Often an analogy is, would one go out naked into the street in lightening cold weather when you have your entire set of relatives there? You ofcourse, see that act for the absurdity that it is.

It's a rough analogy, but Rasullah s.a.w, and those chosen by Allah swt, including his descendent, Imam Mahdi a.s, were purified in this manner.

The Prophet and the Imams cried, felt sick, felt weakness, felt happy, sad, angry, smiled, laughed joked. They were humans, but chosen above all.

Those considered to be shown the reality of sins and purified:

1. Prophets of Allah, peace be upon them
2. Rasullah s.a.w
3. The people mentioned in verse 33:33, i.e Hasan a.s, Husain a.s, Fatima a.s, and Ali a.s
4. 9 Descendents on, the last being the Mahdi a.s, a descendent of Husain a.s, and great x grandson of Rasullah s.a.w. who will, by command of Allah swt, appear at the end times and be the Imam of the entire world not just the arabian peninsula.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mil88
Respectfully, simply because 90% of Muslims are indeed sunni isn't exactly a logical reason to become a sunni.

Also, although the main theology doesn't allow disrespect of noble companions, one only has to look at Sunni hadith to see problems that arrised. For instance, Battle of Jamal, Incident of Paper and Pen before the death of the Prophet etc

If they want to name it than they can, however perhaps many stick with names of the Prophet and his Ahlulbayt.

It's more 85% are sunni's.

And also, it is an appeal to popularity.

The demographic of muslims today has less to do with truth, and more to do with politics. This applies to both shias AND sunni's. From the savavids of Iran/shias, to the politics of sunni rulers else where.The spread of muslims we see owes itself more to politics. The same goes for christianity, Judaism, Hinduism and other faiths.
(edited 7 years ago)
Guys, i would love to engage with you all in the other points raised on here, and i really want to. But i'm going to have to headback to revise.
Original post by Al-farhan
We revere, respect and following the footsteps of ahlul bayt including the blessed wives of the prophet pbuh, Ali karam Allahu wajhah, and the masters of the youth of heaven. We also respect all the great companions including the 4 caliphs.

What does Ali Karam Allahu Wajhah mean?
Original post by queen-bee
Thanks for the in depth knowledge,but what's the deal with Aisha?

I'll address this later, inshAllah.

But just to say this, by consensus of our ulema, slandering her is forbidden.

What one rouge or a very very small minority of rouge 'alims' (one on youtube ) do, have been condemned by our highest ulema.

Furthermore:

1. We do not believe she commited adultery. In fact, the opposite. Ayatullah Khamanei (ha) has given a speech refuting and rebuking those who bring slanders in such a way without evidence, as people who wish to cause discord in the ummah.
2. We do not believe she killed Rasullah s.a.w
3. It is haram - forbidden - to slander her, recite groteque 'nasheeds' about her, call her names, abuse her and so on.

The number of secterian 'alims' i have seen trying to take a tiny handful of rouge speakers and using them as secterian fodder, i believe, will have to answer to Allah swt on the day of judgement, similar to the non-muslim who uses Daesh and makes a conclusion about muslims as a whole.

[video="youtube;vgamgWJxGP4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgamgWJxGP4[/video]

Shia-sunni unity is instilled in us as shia's from when we are children. We are taught this from a young age and it is reinforced again and again. If God grants me life, it is something i will push for till my last breath. I'm not getting money from it, or power, or reputation. I am getting an Ummah more tolerant and able to peacefully agree to disagree on differences, and a stronger , united ummah against the challenges islamically of our day, from theological attacks against the existence of God etc
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Butternuts96
What does Ali Karam Allahu Wajhah mean?

May Allah ennoble his face
Original post by Butternuts96
x

I don't fully re-call this, but was it you calling me a rafidah on my profile messages ?
Original post by yasminkattan
x

Shia muslim here, no issue with the Niqab. Women ought to be allowed to wear it. I am against the banning of the Niqab. While one can't force, it definitely ought to be encouraged. Hijab is utterly important.

IslamQa i differ with. In terms of ahlus-sunnah, i tend to prefer more of the Hamzah Yusuf brand of ahlus-sunnah. IslamQa, with the utmost respect intended here, alligns more with the salafi tradition.

I've seen Maliki's clash with the intepretation of sadl from Islam QA, as well as clashes with regards to the attributes of Allah swt, among many other issues.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 89
Original post by Tawheed
x

Dude go back to revision
Original post by Al-farhan
Dude go back to revision

Good advise brother, inshAllah i'll thank you for it after exams. These discussions are very interesting, and i am looking forward to dedicate more time once exams are over.
Reply 91
Original post by Tawheed
Good advise brother, inshAllah i'll thank you for it after exams. These discussions are very interesting, and i am looking forward to dedicate more time once exams are over.

Discussions on tsr are time consuming.
:five:
Original post by Tawheed

You're not going to find me calling those muslims i have a historical dispute with as kaffirs though. Or trying to stir up fitnah on the I-Soc.

I'm not referring to ibn fulaan here, who hasn't done that, and has used the proper means and addressed it here nor al farhan(who showed good character by making this thread and avoiding discord on the I SOC). I am ofcourse, referring to other users i won't name, who unfortunately i remember as being tolerant once. I have to say this incase people think i am referring to them.

You can say my name btw. :tongue:

Do you wish to know why a person's views mightve changed?
Original post by Tawheed
Shia muslim here, no issue with the Niqab. Women ought to be allowed to wear it. I am against the banning of the Niqab. While one can't force, it definitely ought to be encouraged. Hijab is utterly important.

IslamQa i differ with. In terms of ahlus-sunnah, i tend to prefer more of the Hamzah Yusuf brand of ahlus-sunnah. IslamQa, with the utmost respect intended here, alligns more with the salafi tradition.

I've seen Maliki's clash with the intepretation of sadl from Islam QA, as well as clashes with regards to the attributes of Allah swt, among many other issues.

Agreed brother :smile:

Well, I have nothing against the salafi tradition, in fact from the knowledge I have so far (I still have a lot to learn) it seems to stay most true to the teachings of the salaf. I have a lot of respect for the scholars and tend to follow their opinions, though I don't adhere to one madhab/movement, etc. They also tend to hold the strictest views, and in most cases following the strictest view is the safer option.

I only use islamQA for quick reference, especially when I'm trying to explain something to someone as it would take longer looking through books and so on.

And since you mentioned sadl, I have heard Malikis believe arms should be kept by the sides during prayer, but I've honestly never read about the reason why. I think Shias do the same? Salafis, and the other madhabs, agree that the right hand should be placed over the left, as has been narrated in many ahadith, and I feel this explanation is sufficient. It is the teaching of our Prophet (saw), what more do we need? And I now know you dislike IslamQA :biggrin: but I'll share this: https://islamqa.info/en/6109 because I think it's a good explanation.
Original post by IdeasForLife
You can say my name btw. :tongue:

Do you wish to know why a person's views mightve changed?

I don't mind you being passionate about your theology, but i'm dissapointed by how you've gone about things brother.

You could adopt the method where you profoundly disagree but seek for the greater peace of this Ummah.To try to as and where possible, reduce tensions, discord, and such things.

Just think about the lives that can be saved by that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tawheed
I don't mind you being passionate about your theology, but i'm dissapointed by how you've gone about things brother.

You could adopt the method where you profoundly disagree but seek for the greater peace of this Ummah.To try to as and where possible, reduce tensions, discord, and such things.

Just think about the lives that can be saved by that.

I am stubborn in my stance. I don't believe in unity when there's possibly fundamental differences.

Tawheed you preach peace but then support people like Khamenei who are up to their necks with the blood of sunnis. This is what I find ironic. Perhaps you legitimately believe he is good for whatever reason but you've got to understand, the vast majority of us clearly don't see it that way and that is why you get given a hard time. This is why I shake my head in disbelief when you say you want no fighting, no peace etc...

Think about all the lives which have been fluffed out through the work of Assad and Khamenei. Then think about why I hold my current position.

You might think that this is the time where you post a quote by Khamenei where he urges for peace, unity and love, between sunnis and shias. I don't buy that. I look at the barrel bombs being dropped into market places and so on. They show the difference between reality and empty words being uttered by men to fool the masses.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 96
Original post by Axel Johann
They mean that those imams did not sin in their lifetime.

Wait, what?? How can they be sinless are they not humans....they are not even prophets soo why?
Reply 97
Original post by Tawheed
Guys, i would love to engage with you all in the other points raised on here, and i really want to. But i'm going to have to headback to revise.

May Allah bless you brother :smile:
You seem very busy don't answer until you are fully free. Focus on your exams now. May Allah make it easy for you. Ameen.
[QUOTE=Tawheed;65000865]I don't fully re-call this, but was it you calling me a rafidah on my profile messages ?

Yup yup. That was I. That was a while back in response to your post on the isoc page regarding muslims calling you raafidah.

Why are you bringing up now, after 2 months?
Original post by h333
Wait, what?? How can they be sinless are they not humans....they are not even prophets soo why?

I don't know.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending