The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE maths, give each other questions to do.

Scroll to see replies

Anyone brave enough to give me a solution to my question ? dnt be shy
Original post by chrlhyms
well seeing how hard people have found edexcel C1 and FP1 in a level i think we're gonna be in for a shock hahah so better safe than sorry

Maybe maths a level isn't a concern for some
yes because it asks questions in 3 or 4 parts, but its good to look at some variation they could ask, what do you think?

Well not sure about 3 or 4 parts but maybe. I do find it easier but mainly because we don't really have those annoying wordy questions.
It's just a nice maths question or when it is a bit wordy it certainly isn't as bad as the others usually, lol. If you can do the maths you can do the question, not really that confusing as others can be. Of course they include some trickier topics too not included in GCSE but overall it is an excellent easy paper for people like me! :smile:
Original post by CaptErin
How do you know they've made maths harder this year, and in what way? I know it got really difficult last year, but I figured they'd go a bit lighter because of all the backlash :/

well I guess we won't actually know it's been made harder untill the exam, but I figured cuz we're the last year doing this specification, they will make it harder maybe idk, because the new spec is much harder and they want to stretch us as much as they can in the current spec.
Original post by ihatehannah
Make them juicy because this year they have made gcse maths much harder, i'll start us off,http://prntscr.com/b6fzjk

May you please explain the process to work this out ? 😁
Original post by _Xenon_
Well not sure about 3 or 4 parts but maybe. I do find it easier but mainly because we don't really have those annoying wordy questions.
It's just a nice maths question or when it is a bit wordy it certainly isn't as bad as the others usually, lol. If you can do the maths you can do the question, not really that confusing as others can be. Of course they include some trickier topics too not included in GCSE but overall it is an excellent easy paper for people like me! :smile:

hahah yeah today i did a question on scale factor and it went up to part e)! but yeah i love the pure maths instead of the back story.. not into that
[QUOTE=there'snoneed;64999995]That's easy

May you please explain how to work it out? 😁
well I guess we won't actually know it's been made harder untill the exam, but I figured cuz we're the last year doing this specification, they will make it harder maybe idk, because the new spec is much harder and they want to stretch us as much as they can in the current spec.

I thought that the current year 10's do this specification as well.
hahah yeah today i did a question on scale factor and it went up to part e)! but yeah i love the pure maths instead of the back story.. not into that

Yeah haha. Are you familiar with differentiation?
Original post by Real_jenn

I will write down the solution, sec
Original post by Real_jenn

Work which one out?
Original post by there'snoneed
Work which one out?

The proof question involving the sine rule
Original post by _Xenon_
Yeah haha. Are you familiar with differentiation?

yeah dy/dx ive essen that in some of your guys' papers, i only know about it bc i wanna take it for a level
yeah dy/dx ive essen that in some of your guys' papers, i only know about it bc i wanna take it for a level

Nice. :-)
You get some tricky calculus questions sometimes too or they throw in a random question which wasn't covered in some papers, like some really tough question, which would most likely make twitter crazy if on a GCSE exam, lol like Hannah's sweets did! :biggrin:
Original post by _Xenon_
Nice. :-)
You get some tricky calculus questions sometimes too or they throw in a random question which wasn't covered in some papers, like some really tough question, which would most likely make twitter crazy if on a GCSE exam, lol like Hannah's sweets did! :biggrin:

oh god that sounds horrible! i hope probability doesn't come up this year, but you could still get 3 marks as you could prove part b as you just had to factorise innit
oh god that sounds horrible! i hope probability doesn't come up this year, but you could still get 3 marks as you could prove part b as you just had to factorise innit

I love probability, haha and it's a very common question! :-)
I did loads of practice of these questions and the topics which I lost marks on. Now I'm feeling confident. :wink:

I wish a 5 marker or 6 marker comes up on the paper, that would be amazing! They're worth so many marks as they usually involve a lot of steps and you got to avoid little mistake some people tend to make and then use something like the quadratic formula later on in the question...

I'm hoping for algebraic fractions which require using quadratic formula too, worth nice amount of marks and isn't bad at all. :biggrin:

When is your maths exam? Mine is next week Thursday iirc. Good luck! :smile:
Make them juicy because this year they have made gcse maths much harder, i'll start us off,http://prntscr.com/b6fzjk

You won't be asked this. This question is an AQA further maths question, much harder than normal GCSE maths. I know because I've done this exact question on a past paper.
Original post by Mr Hyde(r)
You won't be asked this. This question is an AQA further maths question, much harder than normal GCSE maths. I know because I've done this exact question on a past paper.

well the topic is the same except this is a much harder version so it is actually very good practice.
Anyone brave enough to give me a solution to my question ? dnt be shy

180-30=150

Now use sin rule

BP/sinx = AB/sin30

PC/sinx = AC/sin150

Sin150 = 1/2. Sin30 = 1/2

Therefore AB/sin30 = 2AB AC/sin150 = 2AC

Rearrange: sinx = BP/2AB
sinx = PC/2AC

therefore: BP/2AB = PC/2AC .... simplify by multiplying both sides by 2
So you grt: BP/AB = PC/AC